1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Useless Features...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, May 16, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How long did it take you to re-remember, to have the key out of your pocket and in hand, before you sat down in the driver's seat.

Oh hang on, push button start is an option on the Fit now?

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HPPA, if you don't mind me asking... where do you place the Garmin ?

3. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have it on the bottom left corner of the windshield, so it doesn't block my main forward vision and I can easily see graphics on GPS. I've used this for over 10 years; haven't found a factory-installed GPS worth a damn!. You do want driver window closed for your voice commands; it's also best if people in your car aren't screaming and the radio is less than full blast; I know, details, details, details!!, har, har!

alexcue likes this.
  4. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for answering. I'm not a huge fan of built in navigation units, but Waze and some of the other phone Nav systems don't always work. I've been up above San Fran by Point Reyes, and there's no cell service there (heck parts of Yosemite where I was this past weekend are the same). Well guess what? you can't get any turn by turn directions without the service. So stand alone units have the built in maps and don't have that issue. So they definitely have a use, and I still use them when ever I'm going some place truly unknown.

The Prius Prime Nav actually worked very well in Yosemite this past weekend. So I'm not complaining, but I hope they don't want to charge an arm and a leg for an update. Because it will become useless and the Garmin will be my primary Nav system after that.

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Google Maps allows you to download and save an area offline. I always do that for an area I'm visiting.

alexcue likes this.
  6. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you have full voice command on your Garmin? That's my chief complaint with built ins, their search for POIs, and seeking a particular address is cumbersome and slow. I just talk to my Garmin and it gives me what I want, simple, reliable, and reasonably priced!

Plus there's no interference with other screen functions like voice-dialing phone, and ancillary controls.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

I've used Google Maps online and offline for all over the world. In places like Panama, it is a life saver quite literally. One way roads with zero markings indicating which way is one way. If you're a local, you just know. If you're a tourist, Google saves your bacon. In countries like Mauritius where street names don't really exist, also really helpful.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No sorry, that was the point I was trying to make.
    The Prius kind of spoiled me.
    It was the first vehicle I ever owned with a push button start and keyless entry.

When I changed back to Honda Fit...yes...I went with the higher trim level that has a push button start and keyless entry.
    Useless...No.
    Necessary...No.

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it every single day....until the day the vehicle either doesn't start, lock or unlock.

Mendel Leisk and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My fob battery went out at about 3.5 years in my 2012 PIP. Replaced battery easily; piece of cake with no drama!

10. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yep, full voice command. It's really pretty good. Lifetime maps too, along with HD Traffic and Bluetooth Traffic (if you have a a phone signal :p)

11. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you lived up north in Pennsylvania in the winter months, then you would understand a heated steering wheel. Clutching a steering wheel that is 10 degrees Fahrenheit or colder is very uncomfortable. You might say, "well why not where gloves" well, with gloves on you can't work any thing in a modern car, especially a Prime.

12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bluetooth traffic, hmmm! My Garmin's lifetime traffic is via the cable/antenna that is plugged into car 12V receptacle, so it doesn't care about location as long as you get satellite!. Works great here and have had great success with it in Provence region of France. (just got the European chip for it!)

13. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I've had to disable voice commands on the nav.

I listen to books on tape quite a lot.

FYI: Steven King narrates many of his books.

Have you ever had Steven king tell your gps where to go ?

Let me tell you, turn off the gps voice control !!!!!!

alexcue, Bob Comer and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  14. Prime8

Prime8 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Sounds like someone finally found directions to the highway to hell.

15. David Schwartz

David Schwartz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well I am from CA by the Ocean where the climate is mild and we don't really know what winter is... Unless we drive 3 hours to the mountains but still the winters there are not as intense as back east....

Having said all that, I am going to defend the heat for the seats and especially the steering wheel! If you are one of those with no garage, your car is outside and during a lot of time here it does cool down to 40s/50s, and then if you leave for work in the AM before the sun has done its magic to warm up your car, it is a nice treat to have your seat and wheel heat up!

The phony leather on the Prime Advanced is at most times cold (Unless Mr. Sun has done its job and then it is very hot), so warming up that material is welcome. I actually use the heated wheel as a kind of "therapy" for my hands as they seem to get colder with my advanced age of 49 years. I push the button, conveniently on the strearing wheel, and it gets nice and warm! Very great feature.

I just can't think of a feature that I would call useless on my Prime. However, I got it because of those features and opted for the Advanced for the largest cache of them. I am actually enjoying driving again and for me that is a big deal!

HPrimeAdvanced and alexcue like this.
  16. Jayne K

Jayne K Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just fiddled with Google maps and didn't see the offline option. How do you do that?

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On my phone, it's just menu - offline maps.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If Stephens lurking you may have given him a plot idea...

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Heck I even use heated seats here in south Texas for a couple weeks a year. LOL Both the wife and I wish there was a setting to only use the back portion when we want some soothing warmth for sore backs.

What's worthless here is a sun roof and I've got a giant one called a pano-roof in Ford speak. :cry:

Sorry but they already stole your idea. I have cellphone controller installed in my gen 2 for the kids. It will block the driver from texting while driving but has settings to allow use in the passenger seat or the rear seats. It's based on cell phone numbers so if anyone else drives, they are not affected.

I highly suggest this product: Stop Texting While Driving | Texting While Driving Solution (y)

20. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five