1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Useless Trivia - 1st one to answer gets to ask

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by saminjax, May 18, 2008.

1. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the next question is...?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. Without consulting the internet please, why did Tutankhamun ("the boy king") change his name? Closely related to this, in what unique way (unique in that he was the only pharaoh to do so) did Tutankhamun's father neglect his royal duties? Hint: the father was a historical first on a matter that a lot of people talk about even today.

3. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm. I think I've got to disagree with you Daniel (respectfully of course).
    First, the "rule" that old people sleep fewer hours is only true if we are talking about consecutive hours per 24 hr periods. Second, in this context you are not old enough to qualify unless you are in your late 70's, inactive, or have ceased to process new information and have new experiences, none of which I believe apply to you. Third, any reason for King Tut's name change that modern scholars might offer is extremely speculative given its remoteness in time (older than bible tales) and is a pretty big ask for a trivia thread. Finally, I'm not sure it would pass an "interesting" test.

By the way, some of us are following this thread just to find out if you got saminjax's phone number... ;)

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will not attempt to dispute this. As I get older I find that I am not able to sleep as many hours, and in recent years I often find myself wide awake in the wee hours of the morning. I imagined that it was due to my advancing age.

A while back I took the Teaching Company's course on ancient Egypt, and found the story of King Tut's father to be very interesting.

I guess I'd better not tell them then. It would be sad to let the thread die. :playball:

5. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm simultaneously relieved that I'm not the "sam" you were referring to and disappointed about missing out on a free trip to Spokane.

I think I need a nap. Carry on with your discussion of Tut & his pop.
    Just wake me before the thread is over...

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tutankhamun was originally named Tutankhaten. He was the nephew (or son or some family relation) to Akhenaten, the Pharaoh who abandoned the traditional gods of Egypt, and the traditional Egyptian capitol, and built a new city centered around his monotheistic religion worshiping the Aten. As an aside, he insisted on more realism in art, so the royal family, especially Akhenaten aren't depicted stylistically "enhanced" beauty-wise but more like real life. He had several daughters and remaining pictures show affectionate family life, rather than the Pharaoh in battle. After Akhenaten's death, Tutankhaten ascended the throne, about age 11 or 12, and immediately moved the center of government back and reinstituted the traditional gods (probably both on advice of the old priests and other advisors) and changed his name to Tutankhamun.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Godiva is correct. King Tut's dad (assuming it was his dad, as my source believes) was the first person of whom we have written evidence, who believed there was only a single god. His original name was in honor of that god, He changed it when he became king to reflect honor instead on one of the more traditional gods.

You get to ask the next question.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does it have to have an answer?

I've been ruminating on the differences between dogs and people. Not their lack of vanity, unconditional love or loyalty. But some of the basics. Like we have an appendix and they don't. Hence....my dog will never have appendicitus.

Dogs get gray as they age, just like people do.

But as dogs grow old....they don't bald. At least not to the percentage or degree a man does (and some women) as they age. If a dog goes bald, it's a medical condition, not due to age.

WHY?

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Because.

P.S. People don't get appendicitus either. There's no such thing as appendicitus. I'd expect a librarian to know that.

10. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've wondered this, too, as well as with other things. Heartworms - why don't we get them? Humans must not provide the right environment for them. Maybe it is a chemical thing. 4:00 in the morning thoughts.

I had a good friend who had a precious dog - a chocolate lab. She had baldness, but it was in patches all over her body. It was some kind of rare skin condition. She was still so beautiful, the most lovable dog I ever met. The vet tried all kinds of creams and diangoses, but never could figure out how to fix the problem. She looked like a Dr. Seuss dog, all polka-dotted...

11. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Male pattern baldness is a genetic disorder, not a "natural" condition. Human males don't go bald (lose hair) everywhere - in fact they may get hairier in some places.

I'm not going to go bald, but my son might someday, and its my wife's fault!
    We have a polka dot dog, but he is completely furry.

This is becoming like the sinefeldesque thread. What was the trivia question again?

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mange. Caused by mites.

There are two kinds.

When I got Ramses as a puppy he had bald spots. He had recovered from Parvo and his immune system was low which invited the mites that caused the mange. Once I got him on Revolution, which does fleas, ticks, heartworm and MITES, he soon grew back his hair.

Now if she had has sores and was licking them, that's hot spots. Caesar had them and Ramses has had it a bit. But they recover from them soon.

Caesar had other skin problems. I took him off any food with corn in it and he was better. He also had problems with "yeast" and antibiotics took care of that. That mostly caused itching and ear infections. Or at least the antibiotics for the ear infections also took care of the itching caused by the yeast infections.

But it sounds like the Polka Dots were mange/mites.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can find food without corn in it? Nowadays, apparently there's corn in just about everything.

14. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, since there doesn't seem to be any more answers forthcoming how about another trivia question? I nominate samiam to ask the next one. Maybe it can be one about New Zealand! :)

15. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is hard to avoid corn. I've made a concerted effort to do so and, in that process, have discovered that most packaged foods have corn or some derivative of it in them. I wish they would outlaw high fructose corn syrup. I don't want it in my kid! It is so bad for you.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because it's been a long time between trivia questions, here's one:

My daughter just announced that she's stopped using deodorant/anti-perspirant.

What famous movie star does not use deodorant?

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  18. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Julia Roberts? I remember reading that in a People or US Weekly magazine.

19. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I read that Matthew McConaughey doesn't wear deodorant. Is he the one?

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking of Julia Roberts. So WChardin wins.

Off topic: Speaking of Matthew McConaughey though, it seems like he's gotten a perfect hair transplant job. His hairline is lower and his hair seems thicker than 10 years ago.