1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using at-205 to address a oil leak?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Phoenixjones, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Purely guessing, #1 is the edge of the head gasket, and #2 is the timing cover?

upload_2019-1-26_17-55-59.png

I would not get stampeded by the pending end of warranty. If they're needing special light to spot minor oil leakage, I would leave it be. In typical cases where the cover's resealed it is filthy, lots of oil leaking and dirt adhering.

Again, I would be hesitant to do this: the reseal would done under less than ideal conditions, with the engine in place. The factory seal has held up very well.

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Fellow Prius driver!

Just my two cents, Many cars develop very small leaks. I have actually seen some go away in time, due to temperature changes and movement of parts. This one is so small, that with the amount of work required to repair it, you can cause more issues that what you have now. For those of us "seasoned" drivers who have driven cars for decades, I can personally attest that this issue may cost you more in the long run than if you leave it be.

The job will require a lot of labor time to get it done perfect. If you trust your mechanic to do this job perfectly, go for it.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Again: when the sealant is applied at the factory, it is with the engine out of the car, by a technician who's done it many many times. To redo it with the engine in place, a mechanic maybe without Repair Manual, using after market Form-In-Place gasket, is not good for the odds.

I've read up on the procedure for 3rd gen:, the FIP gasket is to be applied (various widths, and extra bits at seams), the cover reinstalled, and all the bolts (more than 20, various sizes and torque values) torqued down, within 15 minutes.

Considering how minor the leak is, and the car's vintage, I would leave it be.

Montgomery likes this.