1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using ChargePoint isn't a slam-dunk over L1

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Lee Jay, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Recently, I got home from a very long Ev-only drive with 10% battery remaining, knowing I had to take another drive that would consume at least 65% of a charge. I plugged in when I got home, ate lunch, and headed to a nearby ChargePoint station to charge at L2.

It worked okay, but it wasn't the slam dunk I thought it would be as far as charge accumulated.

The math worked like this.

Got home, 10% charge.
    Charge on L1 for a half hour, 20% charge.
    Drive to station two miles away, taking 10 minutes (lots of lights). It's up-hill so back down to 10%.
    Charge for 1:35, 95% charge.
    Drive home, 10 minutes, 90% charge.
    Charge at home on L1 for 45 minutes, 100% charge.
    Drive to second destination, 35% charge.
    Charge for 4:40, 100% charge.
    Drive home, 35% charge.

But what if I had stayed home instead of using the ChargePoint station?
    20% charge to start.
    Charge for 1:55 that I was away from home, 60% charge.
    Home for 45 minutes more, 75% charge.
    Drive to second destination, 10% charge.
    Charge for 4:40, >95% charge.
    Drive home, >30% charge.

Not as much difference as you'd think, primarily because of the charge and time used to get to and from the very-close station.

Now, what would make a difference? A 6.6kW charger in the Prime. I was charging at a 6.6kW charger, but only at 3.3kW. This is about the eighth time I've been seriously hindered by the 16A charger in the Prime when charging at a 32A ChargePoint station. I'd actually rather have that than an L2 charger at home, which I haven't needed even once since I bought the car. The closest I ever came was the day I described above.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's a lot of gymnastics to charge a car. i would get an L2 at home.

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I said, I haven't found a need yet. And the stations/cords are a major rip-off. It's just an over-grown extension cord. $499? When that guy posted how to get one for under $200 I still didn't do it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's only worth what it's worth to you. like many things, it's hard to look at the pieces and justify the cost.
    i love mine, because i'm in and out a lot, and with only 12-15 miles ev, i often use it several times a day.

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah...this is one of the (many) reasons I never considered the PIP. It just didn't have the range I need for my routine tasks, and would thus require constant stops to charge. And since many of the places I go don't even have electricity, much less a place to charge, that just wouldn't work. But with 30 miles real-world range and the ability to charge on L1 at work and at home, I can basically drive all over the entire city, Ev only.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our Prius Prime won't charge faster than about 3.3 kW. You might want to look at some of the 'Juice Cord' or equivalent 210-240 VAC chargers. Many are rated at ~20A which gives plenty of head room.

Bob Wilson

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The problem is the charger in the car, not the EVSE. Like I said, I was at a 32A charge station but could only charge at about 15A.

8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ... with circuitry to implement the J1772 protocol, and a patented plug for which the patent holder demands stiff royalties. I suspect that the cheaper $200 ones use knockoffs from China, who doesn't concern itself much with silly matters like patent royalties.

9. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The only reason I picked up the L2 charger was because of rebates. Essentially the ClipperCreek HCS50 cost me the installation of the 240 V. LA DWP is giving me back $500 for the charger. Without it I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

Having said that, it's so sweet on weekends to have it charged up completely in under 2hrs. I've also figured out how to use the A/C cooling feature for charging, finally. So it takes about 2:20 now to charge it up but at least it's a little easier on the battery when the outside temp is pushing 100*. I make my morning runs, come home charge it up and if we go out in the afternoon/evening the car is fully charged.

Charging in the night it makes no difference whether its the L1 or L2 charger. At work i use the L1 charger and since I only use up about 35% of the charge it's ready by lunchtime if I need the car for anything. Otherwise it wouldn't matter if the battery was fully drained. I'm stuck in the office over 8hrs so it would totally charge the totally discharged battery (if I used it all coming to the office).