1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using DRL alongside HID or LED headlights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by scblair, Nov 8, 2017.

1. scblair

scblair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I'm looking at modding my base Prius Gen III a bit with better headlighting and possible daytime running lights. I've looked at a lot of the pros and cons of HID vs LED, but one thing I keep coming across is that you can't add DRL's to a vehicle with HID or LED headlights due to flicker. I like the look and added safety of DRL's but really feel the headlamps are a priority to get rid of at least the low-beam halogens.

1: I've tried to see if there is a relatively plug-and-play solution to make the hi-beams operate as DRL's but haven't come across a solid non-make-your-own-harness device. Is there one out there, and if so will it work with either HID or LED lighting in the low beams?

2: Also considered switchback bulbs for the turn signals that also make them DRL's (these: https://goo.gl/k7iSwh) and didn't know if they were an option.

3: Car does not have fog lights or any other LED installed. Would just some plain ol' LED bars or spots work as DRL's? I'm not looking for anything fancy, close to stock is optimal.

I'm not afraid to work on the car but get edgy around electrical splicing as I know a dodgy wire job can mess up your whole vehicle.

Thanks all and pardon me if I'm asking questions previously answered elsewhere.