1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using mostly battery less than 40mph

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Kevine64, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been driving a bit different to try and get some more mpg.... I will pulse up to about 45 then let off till ev kicks in and keep the bar right at the verge of going into ice. I can usually cruise at 40 mpg doing this on flat roads while only using the battery. Although if I'm able to do this ev mode for a long distance my battery runs down then the ice kicks in even with the bar below the ice line.

I'm still only getting 50-51 indicated mpg this way but much better than the 42mpg I got just driving it... My route has some hill and my tires are no lrr so I'm think that's has some to do with my low mpg.

Question is does driving 40mph in ev mode till battery runs dead then recharge with ice just to run battery down againcoasting with ev do any harm to the battery??

II'm sure when they engineered the car is was not designed for this type of driving. I'm sure it was designed to use ice and ev at these speeds....

2. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    try this video, for basic Pulse and Glide techniques. When you get used to it, this can give you a good boost in MPG.

3. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although I'm a fan of P&G but you don't need to use P&G to get good mpg. Last Friday, I made a 49 mile round trip (50% freeway and 50% local road 45 mph speed limit) and got 64 mpg and believe it or not, the heavy traffic that I was in actually helped me to get better mpg. Normally, I would go 65 mph on the freeway, the heavy traffic restricted my speed to 55 mph.

The trick that I used is simple. I put the car in "Eco" mode and relied on the HSI as my guide. When I accelerate, I never let the bar go near the "PWR" zone. I applied this rule even when I was climbing a slope and since I was in heavy traffic anyway, I didn't piss anyone off behind me. When I was going down slope, I back off on the accelerator until the bar is in the "EV" zone. That was it. I didn't do any P&G on this trip

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it won't hurt the battery, but you'll get better mpg's if you stop driving in ev. the ice has to replace that charge, and that's less efficient than actually powering the car with the ice. the battery is there to absorb what would be wasted energy in braking, coasting, etc., not for always powering the car as much as possible without the ice.

cwerdna and xpcman like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll consciously keep the bar to left of the median line, to use electrical propulsion only, but relatively sparingly. If the battery's near full I'll be fairly aggressive, but as charge starts dropping I'll back off, resort more to pulse and glide. With the bar close to the median your charge is (obviously) going to drop fast, so I'll try to avoid that scenario in particular, preferring to then kick the gas a bit further, reactivate the engine.

One scenario where I seem to invariably run down the battery, can't seem to avoid it, is extreme low speed, puttering around parking garages, things like that. At extreme low speed the car seems predisposed to keep the engine off.

Bottom line, I do a bit of EV hunting, but try not to push it too far.

bisco likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I only "EV hunt....when it's late, late at night and I'm on side streets with very few cars or people around. THEN I might experiment...just for fun, with trying to get home or as far as I can on EV power alone.

Otherwise, I just drive it.

I think in mixed traffic it can just be too dangerous if you are paying too much attention to trying to remain in EV. And you're likely to be driving slow enough to further the Prius drivers are inconsiderate "putters" mythology.

Since buying my Prius...in near ideal weather conditions, my MPG has been anywhere from 48 to 52+ mpg. And I'm happy with that.

Sure you can get out of it what you want to put into it. There are a lot of tips about "how"to drive a Prius and I think a lot of them are valid. But I think the best tips are just some overriding common sense. The Prius does better warmed up, so combine short trips into longer gambits if possible. Then The Prius responds "economically" much like any vehicle, just with greater returns based on the boost of Hybrid technology.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    What tires and what PSI? That's probably the answer for you to improve MPG.

8. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even in highway just maintaining 50-55mph I get a couple maybe 3ticks above 50mpg.... I'm really hoping it's just my tires that are causing such low mpg and not something else since I have no cell dealer isn't going to do anything....

Tires are not lrr but I have them at 42psi....

9. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Not LRR will decrease your mpg but you get a more comfortable ride. I have LRR but if I lived in a city where there are bumps and holes on the roads, I would have gotten regular tires.

10. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'v read people saying lrr tires can gain as much as 10mpg over non lrr tires. Even so I don't see how anyone gets 60+mpg doing "normal" driving and not doing the driving around at20mph for an hour when you first start and all that.... The extreme hyperbole thing.

I struggle to stay at 50mpg indicated working my but off. Just makes me think there's something wrong with my prius lol.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The engine, in surface road driving, rarely charges the battery. It is charged primarily via the regen systems. Contrary to a lot of posts, the regen energy is much more efficient than the engine and should be used as much as possible to extend your glide, which is what you are doing (not using the EV button). Try keeping the battery amps at 10 or below during the glide. If you do not have a scangauge, keep the bar just above the regen line. If you can pulse to 45 on flat roads, you should be able to get in the high 50's or even 60mpg.

13. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I don't go by the instant mpg reading. Instead, I look at the display that shows up whenever I turn off my Prius. There's a bunch of information on it but I normally only pay attention to the mpg and the miles driven. Sure enough, it said 64 mpg at the end of the 49 mile trip. How are you assessing your mpg?

14. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'v only had the ccar for a couple tanks worth. First tank I calculated at fill up for 42mpg.... Garbage. I was getting almost that in my 2012 accent.....

I don't see a screen that tells me all kinds of stuff.... I see screens that graph mpg and that's it really....

I use the trip mpg not instant when I'm saying indicated mpg

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you consistantly pulse, and then use the motor to maintain your speed until you're down to one or two bars, the ice is going to charge the battery back up. you couldn't regen enough unles you were going down a lot of hills.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might try running say five trips using cruise control, tossing the high and low, and averaging the remaining three. Then try five trips using your best manual technique. To even out the climate changes, alternate days.

Bob Wilson

17. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven'. Recorded the trips bUT I'm pretty sure I can do better than the cruise control.... The cc does really bad on long hills. Doesn't build up speed at efficient rpm to prepare for the climb.

My gut tells me there's something wrong with the car. Weather it's just the tires or something more.... The car was in two accidents before I got it. On was very minor and car still drove. Second was reported as minor damage. Car fax and another report I pulled that checks the titling cross the country to ensure it wasn't washed all said no report frame damage or anything like that. But I'm still wondering if the accidents have something to do with it.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, that's a tough one to figure, but if you had lrr's and stopped using the battery for propulsion, i bet you'd be getting 55 mpg or better which is pretty dang good!

19. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don'tuse batteries for aaccelerating I use the batteries to maintain the speed I pull to. Or at least attempt to maintain it. I'll try to adjust my driving I guess and see what I can do.

I'm gonna get a set of energy savers but not for another month or so. Gotta try to find a buyer for my current tires. Shouldn't be too hard though since they only have 400 or so miles on them right now.

20. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Pulse and glide is the way to go. I get about 60MPG in my '05 on my commute to and from work. About 5 miles, 25-35MPH with a couple hills, auto AC set to about 78F when it gets warm. I have LRR tires pumped to 51PSI.
    Using the battery to drive hurts your mileage in just about every situation besides a parking lot. As traffic allows, I'm either accelerating with the ICE or gliding with it off. My mileage takes a bit of a hit when I drive to other places because of freeway driving and usually more traffic, but I'm sure I could keep it above 50MPG average in most situations.