1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using My Sun/Moon Roof too Frequently??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by citizen477, Jan 28, 2013.

1. citizen477

citizen477 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Greetings!
    I recently purchased a 2010 Prius (38,000 miles) for myself for Christmas, and I love it! Also, I am in-love with the sun/moon roof. My friend warns me that using it frequently is not recommended because she's heard that Toyota does not manufacture good sun/moon roofs. In other words, they malfunction upon frequent use, and that one of "...These fine days..." she says, "... That darn thing's gonna get stuck..."

Here, especially during the "winter" season in South Florida, I drive with it down on a daily basis. I just love having it open. However, should I be concerned about frequently using my sun/moon roof?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "I am in-love with the sun/moon roof".

Then just use it and enjoy it.

Toyota does not install sub-standard moon roofs in their vehicles. Infact, 2010 Prius? I've never heard anyone complain.

But embrace this logic anyway.

You like using it, you enjoy having it. Not using it is not really going to protect you. If it's going to break it can break on the next usage or the 100th....or 200th. Even if she's "right" and someday it's going to get stuck....how do you know when that someday is going to be?

I think she's entirely wrong about the quality of Toyota's moon roofs and even if someday it does get stuck? You can have things like that fixed. Like any piece of equipment or machine.

In the meantime, as long as it seems to be working and you are enjoying it? Conceivably that why you wanted it. Not getting enjoyment out of something you enjoy....to preserve the "enjoyment" for the future doesn't make much sense to me.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Citizen, perhaps your friend has Toyota confused with BMW. In some BMW models the sun/moon roof did fail and it seemed related to frequent use, I thought about it when I used the one in my e46. But, same as Electric, I have never heard of a sun roof failure in a Gen3 Prius.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I only have anecdotal evidence but my experience is that anything with a motor pretty much breaks on heavy use. Moonroofs are especially susceptible IMO. However, I don't think Toyota moonroofs are any worse than BMW's. I've had power windows go on a Honda, power door locks on a Toyota, power seats on a BMW. The only correlation I see is that the more you use it, the faster it goes. That's why knowing the miles is important before buying a used car.

So, I'm with the others. Just use it. It will probably break earlier than someone who rarely uses it. But if you use that logic you might as well never use the air conditioner, better yet, don't drive the car. You're shortening the life of the engine by driving it. Enjoy your moonroof.

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just remember to close it when you park!

6. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the Prius. :)

I see you live in Miami Gardens. My wife used to live in MG as well before we got together.

We just moved to SoCal for her new job. I definitely miss the SoFL "winter".

I don't have any confidence in the longevity of a moonroof/sunroof. I've never had a car with one and don't plan on it. They are really nice to have though on a car you don't keep for the long term.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I'd recommend inspecting, cleaning, and lubricating the rubber seals often.

My friend's 2002 Toyota 4Runner had a leaky moonroof when the rubber seals cracked. :( But she never used it so it was entirely neglected.

7. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I used my sunroof about 20 times on my Camry in 20 of the 25 years I owned it. It no longer works but also does no leak.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! use it and enjoy it! that's what it's there for!

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure as I haven't had any fail on me yet (The oldest car with a moonroof we've had was 5 years and we don't get the severe sun that you do in FL so cracking may not be an issue with a 5 year old car up here).

My 2010 moonroof does rattle, however, over rough pavement. It sounds like the glass is flexing (even though I'm sure it's just not as tight as it was when new).

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sunroofs are trouble in any car. I have one in another car and never use it.

If you use it alot and do no maintenance to it, it it will fail. And when I say fail I mean it will not close all the way.
    Like previous poster says Keep the tracks very clean and I would lubricate very carefully the track with silicone. And keep the seals well conditioned with Black Magic Protectant.

11. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Personally, I don't use the Sun/Moon roof on the Pri too much; would rather have the quiet. It does look cool, but I only got it because it came with the solar option.
    On the other hand, the sunroof on our RAV4 has been going 15 years now with no problems.

12. citizen477

citizen477 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the input, everyone. I really do appreciate it. I just have to give the sun/moon roof extra care since I use it frequently. I had my friend read some of your responses, and -- as I expected -- she latched on to the responses that leaned more to her views and practically ignored the others. LOL. But, her warnings have subsided now, so I'm content. :)

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a wise decision, all the best!:)