1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using PIP As A Generator

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by El Dobro, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You posted a video. In your video, in the portion in question, you are working at the back of your car, in the hatch area. You gesture with your hand at 6:59 toward "my clamp meter on the wire that goes to the DC to DC converter", somewhere near the right rear wheel well. You mention a second meter, apparently set to volts, so you "can watch the voltage on the 12 volt battery pack."

So, the clamp meter. At that point, was it on the 12 volt line going forward from the aux battery, or was it on one of the orange high-voltage lines going forward from the traction battery?

You did say "goes to the DC to DC converter" and not "comes from", so maybe I should assume which wire you meant by that, but I don't want to make assumptions about whether you and I choose words the same way. I want you to say where your meter was.

When you say at 7:35 "with this off, with the inverter off, the power that we have going into the DC to DC converter is 1200 watts", you also mention "387 volts" and "3.1 amps", which multiply to near 1200, so does that mean your clamp was on the HV line leaving the traction battery, and measuring 3.1 amps? Yes? No?

Were you thinking that that HV line from the battery goes only to the DC/DC converter? Did you ever take the meter to the front of the car and try to isolate the current actually going to the DC/DC converter, and not to other loads like the A/C compressor? Or were you thinking the A/C compressor power goes through the DC/DC converter?

Did you ever have any of that "gee, I wonder if I'm missing something" feeling as you were saying that you were sending 6.6 kilowatts into a DC/DC converter that was only giving you 1.5 out? Or when what you thought was going in jumped from 1200 to 6600 (a change of 5400 watts) the moment you turned your inverter on, before you plugged loads into it? Did any of that make you at all curious to understand what was really going on?

#561 ChapmanF, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    QuantumFireball and Yea Right like this.