1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using Premium fuel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Feri, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yesterday I took the inlet manifold off to check EGR carbon build up. I've driven 182,o7o Kms and saw in another thread that blockage from EGR carbon can cause misfire. From what I saw in my manifold and the s/steel tube running to it this should be a regular service item at 60,000km intervals.

What fascinated me however, was the cleanliness of the intake area of the head. I have used Premium 98 octane (RON) fuels in this vehicle since day 1. I've attached a picture to demonstate.

I know with other vehicles this area can become quite gunky, especially as it is obviously pulling minute amounts of oil from the crankcase.

Intake Clean 2013-1.jpg

OzPrius and Umar Ali like this.
  2. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't believe the octane makes any difference with how clean it leaves your car. 87 octane from top tier gas stations with their detergents would be the same cleanliness, at least in the USA.

I do notice you are down under, so fuel may be different there.

dbcassidy likes this.
  3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yeah I agree about the octane but the 91 and 95 don't have the same level of cleaners here.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....just to clarify, they are using "Research" octane number down under, so their 91 is our 87 AKI. Likewise substract about 4 or 5 to get our octane, so 98 is like our 93 or 94 (Premium).

Feri likes this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder if you're onto something. I've always used 95 Premium as it's the cheapest here ($8+ a US gallon), but doesn't have the same cleaners as 98 Super (nearly $9 a US gallon).

I have just had to fork out nearly £500/$815 on a replacement EGR valve at 78,000 miles. Never, ever had to pay for an EGR valve on a petrol car before.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "$815 on a replacement EGR valve".................................holy sh-t.

Only $60 for my 5.7L Hemi Durango.

7. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Geez, Grumpy. That thing is bleeding you dry :eek:

8. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Intake should be clean, that is airflow. Fuel injection occurs in the combustion chamber. If you are really looking for carbon buildup, then either bore scope the combustion chamber or pull the head.

DBCassidy

Almost forgot, premium only thins out your wallet. The Prius takes 87 octane and that is all.

DBCassidy

peterjmc likes this.
  9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paid 55$ for one for a gen 2, but now I'm getting a vision of possibly why you have such tough luck...

Wrong gas, bad attitude

10. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The prius EGR is a lot more complex than the average EGR valve. Has electronics and water cooling. Never the less I took mine off and cleaned it. Hope there isn't something I don't know about. It's possible Grumpy's electronics packed up.

My Prius has 113,000 KMs. But has been mostly travelling high speed freeways or dirt back roads. Grumpy's was used as Taxi. Stop go all the time.

Please look at my photo. The injector nozzles are clearly visible at the top. Prius is not direct injection. My 1953 TEF Fergie tractor is direct injection. The Poms had great ideas and engineering back then.;)

The Australian Manual suggests any fuel fom E10 up is suitable but reccomends 95 or higher.

P.S. Grumpy, the premium seems to have kept the head inlet and valve stems clean but still blocked the EGR. Don't beat yourself up!

The cricket is going well, isn't it?

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol, NO! (n)

You Aussies :rolleyes:

12. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

It was a pleasure to watch Stokes' 100.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We're just letting you feel good about yourselves again after whooping your arses the last few years :whistle:

I hear as a nation you all got rather upset and moody about it, so being sporting and all, we decided to give you a few easy ones (y)

The Ashes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Ahh Grumpy you almost uncovered our secret masterplan. We gave you a few years of winning so you wouldn't get upset and take your bat home and refuse to play. We've managed a few wins in all the football codes too lately, Lions excepting.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  15. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We, in the states - 87 octane. The engine runs really well, (52 - 55 mpg). Tried 91 octane - no improvement in mpgs.

DBCassidy

16. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with you. I add a container of Chevron Techron to my gas about two times a year. Just my thing. Makes it run better to my opinion.

17. stimr2

stimr2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My instructors in automotive school highly recommended Chevron Techron. Been using it for every vehicle I've owned since.

Nexus 7 ?