1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using Public Charging Stations with Plug-in Conversion?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SteveWlf, Mar 12, 2013.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am getting set up to do my first plug-in conversion and know that the car will have it's own charger of which I can choose one that can detect if the input power is 110 or 220Volts AC. The charger doing the charge level control. I will primarily do my charging at home and being retired, will not be charging at work. like most might.
    However, once I travel beyond the range of my charge (with a 10kwh pack), I might have opportunities to charge at the Green Highway charging station alone the I-5 corridor. Or at some of the charging station showing up in shopping centers in major cities. All of these seem to be the Level1, Level2 and/or Level4. These all seem to have the EVSE standard connector that the Priis and Leaf use (and others?). And require some form or registration to get a pass card to activate the station. In my conversion I would be able to use the Level1 or Level2 but the plugs seem to be a propietory, or at least I haven't been about to find a plug/receptical of that type that could form an adaptor. (The conversion just uses a standard 3 prong plug/receptical for the desired voltage.)
    My other concern is that the charging station seems to have some control of the charge cycle or rate through several control lines. Since my internal car charge won't be talking to the charge station, how will the charge station respond?? Do those signal lines need to be "spoofed"?
    Also, I don't know how or what is required to register to use the public charging stations. My son just leased a new Leaf and in the process all of that was done for him and he was able to charge that same day.
    This need to charge at the public stations is still a while off but just thought I would put it out there.

Comments and opinions welcome. I'm here to learn.

Steve

2. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While waiting on Robb, at PIS to get back to me on my DIY conversion kit, I have been searching local electrical suppliers and internet for info and J1772 EVSE connectors and recepticals.
    I also found useful info on these Public Charging Stations that seem to be coming more and more common in the high traffic areas and along the Interstate Highway system.
    Let me address the Public Charging Station. They are of many types and belong to several different networks or operated by companies for employee or customer benefit. And of course there are privately owned residential or appartment stations. All (that I'm aware of) are of the J1772 SAE standard. There might be others but the auto manufacturers are equiping their electric or hybrids to this standard.
    Before getting into how this all works, one must understand that the Level 1 and Level 2 stations are not actually "Chargers". Thesere are charging stations with 120 volt AC or 240 volt AC current available to the vehicles onboard charger. The Level 3 is a different power connector at some charging station that provide 440 volts for high current quick charging and eventually may become the standard for some present and future longer range EVs. (My son charges his new Leaf in about 20 mins. so he tells me) We are not going to see the Level 3s in residential use because homes seldom ever have that high voltage in the power panel or at the pole.
    Now, for our Prius plug-in conversions, we can use either the Level 1 or Level 2 by installing the J1772 receptical in our cars or using some type of plug adaptor or dongle. That receptical is a bit pricey, as my current research has disclosed (more on that later), about $14o, the ready made dongle is well over $200.
    Ok, now your able to plug into a J1772 public charging station, but your not going to get any juice yet. Why, because the charging station doesn't even know you hooked up. The station has a control system that is waiting for your vehicle to indicate the connection is completed and that is done by returning a signal on the Plot/control signal lines in the plug. You don't need to "spoof" this signal, since the hand-shake circuit is very simple and only involves a diode, two resistors and a single pole toggle switch. There are some after market solid state modules that do this for $45.
    Of course, ideally, you would want to do most of your charging at home. The residential charging station now cost between $750 to over $2000. That is because these vendors want them to look and feel like the Public charging station, with all the smarts, bells and whistles. You can do you home charging hook up simply by building a 220VAC 30 amp cable with the J1772 connector on one end and a standard domestic dryer plug on the other end. No need of signal hand shake if your willing to be careful not to drop the J1772 into a puddle of water. In other words the cable connector remains live, even after you unplug it unless you pull the other end out of the dryer outlet. With this simple set up, your largest expense is going to be the J1772 connector. The other stuff being domestic electrical.
    Now to the cost of the J1772 stuff.
    The first is an ebay seller that this link give you an idea of what he is offering.
    modularevpower | eBay
    His web site has some good info in a PDF file associate with his controller kit. (kinda pricey but the design is simple and provides all the control that is in a commercally available charging station.

Then there is Jack Richard who has EVTV blog. Rather long winded video, but eventually if you fast foward he will get to the home made receptical hand shake circuit and home connection.
    EVTV.ME: J1772-2009 Charging for Your EV

Tucson EV has a lot to offer but the prices seem kinda high for the DIY and tend towards the Deep Pockets.
    J1772 Adapter

I have been in touch with Carl Clark (nice guy) owner of Electric Car Parts in Utah. He is on a trip to China this coming week and is checking on better price on the J1772 connectors and receptical.
    electriccarparts.com: The Leading Electric Car Part Site on the Net

BTW: I just picked up a used J1772 connector with cable on ebay for my home installation, for $145/free shipping. Still have to find a good price on the receptical.

I'm still on my Quest and will let you know if I find anything new on this topic.

Let us know it you have an experience or opinions or questions on this topic!

Steve

uart likes this.
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Steve. We don't have public charging station in Australia yet. So I'm just kind of curious, what is the cost (and payment method) for using these.

4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Steve, adding the smarts to your J1772 home charging cordset is about $50 and adds a lot of safety features including the avoidance of sparks when you plug/unplug the connector from the vehicle. Take a look at the openEVSE project.

SteveWlf likes this.
  5. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was going to addresss that, frequently recurring question, in the earler portion of my posts. But since I do tend to "ramble on" I though I would wait for the Question! Thanks!

First answer, is: it depends on the network that controls the charging stations. I don't have any clear notion of the costs, other that what my son has been giving me as he learns his way around this situation in San Francisco/San Jose CA area. He just leased a Nissan Leaf last week and has been able to charge at his work or at nearby stations for free. Many employers in Sylicone Valley and other high tech areas are providing open access to their stations. For example, the first day my son drove his Leaf to work, he arrived at about noon since he had been busy with car registration, etc... All the charging stations spaces were taken. He went to an App on his GPS and it found him an open station at a nearby building and there he was actually able to get Free Level3 charging and was finished in 2 min. while he ate his lunch.

On the Network charging, you have to be registered and then you are billed according to what you use, time of day, rate of charge Level 1,2 or 3. How much can be dirt cheap or as hi as $20/hr or higher in busy areas. But at least you have charging available. Or with the Apps, you can plan to charge at the lease expensive station, (kinda like Gas Buddy). Might have to drive out of you way or just avoid the high priced areas all to gather.

There are charing stations showing up in shopping centers now and I believe the merchants sponsor these. Might need to be validated or something. Motels presently have rooms with 120v ac outlets near the parking spaces and some large chains will be putting in special areas that will have Level1 and 2. Not sure it that will be on you room bill. For now, I doubt it.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, along the I-5 from Mex. to Canada border, which is called the Green Highway, the charging stations are often located in business (resturants, etc.) parking lots. These are (I think) members of Charge Point and the charging is nominal. The one I stopped at was Level 1,2,&3, The fellow that was charging his Piis said he didn't know how much because he hadn't seen a bill yet. Activation of the stations is via a pass card or key chain FOB. (again, I think, haven't actually seen some of this stuff).

Regarding cost of charging at home, you could do the math on the wattage of you charger over the length of the charge and your electrical rate. Here is another feature that should be kept in mind, some areas have lower rates at 'off peak' time. The Nissan '13 model comes with charger remote that can allow you to set the time period that you want it to charge. Some home charges have the feature built in but cost a lot more.

I encourage other to give us what the know and correct me if I am incorrect.

6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are correct and I was aware of this. Actually you can build your own 'hand shake' feature following the procedure discribed by Jack Richards in his video and documented on other sites I have referenced. I was going to mention it but the post was becoming rather lengthy and figured we would have a chance to discuss in as we are here.

Thanks
    Steve

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Austin we have more than 100 charging stations. A subscription for unlimited charging is $25 for 6 months. For non-subscribers it is $2/hour and the stations support as much as 7kW.

SteveWlf likes this.
  8. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sounds like something I could subscribe to.
    But I would ask, "How is it that Texans are driving EVs" and need a good deal on charging. I thought everyone had an Oil Well in the back yard. LOL

Steve

9. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have two, but I can sell the oil for more than I pay to charge. :) We have lots of wind turbines.

10. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wind Turbine too. Well you know what the say??

11. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Slightly OT! But has to be said!
    We use to have a lot of Hydro Electric in the Pac. NW but the Enviornmentalist got a lot of the smaller ones knocked down.
    (I just noticed how many letters there are in "Enviornmentalist". They sould get a shorter name and save paper, ink and bandwidth!) as my post has of course!)
    You guys with the wind turbines better make sure those birds still have enough wind to fly around in. Don't want those turbines to use it all up or disrupt their flight path to their mating grounds. (I suppose the latter could happen).

Steve

12. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the proposed wind farms is in a migratory path and I think they agreed to idle the farm during the few weeks of migration. Our biggest challenge at the moment is transmission from West Texas wind farms to the populated areas.

13. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK! Back on topic, after some kidding around!

I just got to thinking about the arcing problem with a DUMB home charging station. John is correct and the only way to avoid arcing is with Sense Circuit and relay in the station. The simple diode, 2 resistors and toggle switch in the vehicle is to give the station a connect/disconnect signal to open the relay in the smart station. With a completely dumb station as I discribe, the only way to avoid arcing is if the load is totally eliminated or the input circuit (breaker) is opened. This would also cause arcing in the breaker and not recommended on a daily basis.
    So this "on the cheap" station would require the user to faithfully turn off the charger, if not already completed charging to avoid arcing in the connector. I would expect that at the very end of the charge, the arc potential would be minimal, but that's just my guess, not being a EE.

Modular EV Power has a DIY charging station that is very basic but well designed and it does provide for the connect/disconnect sense and relay. However they want $440 in kit form and that is half the price of a ready to go residential station. Modular EV Power

14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SteveWlf likes this.
  15. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good link. That is the best price I have seen so far and I have done a lot of searching. I think I saw that at their regular price at $795 which is about the lowest for full retail. However this one has 25 feet of cable. That would be perfect for my 6 car carport. (not bragging, cause I have room for 6 cars, which are under repair or collectables. Barely room for my daily driver Gen2).
    BTW. According to one of the residental charging station ads, there is a recently enacted Fed 30% tax rebate on EV home charging stations. That would be good news at this stage of my planning. If anyone know what this Tax Code Rule is, I think it would be a great addition to this Thread.

Thanks for the link and reminding me of the Tax Rebate I just noted.

Steve

16. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just did some research on the Charge Point network that is dominate here along the west coast, central and east coast USA.
    Very interesting and easy to join up with for access. Stations can also be accessed just with a phone call from the charge station and they activate it for you. To have an account, you join the network and provide account information and credit card info. You then have them deposit a nominal amount into your account and as you use the system the charges are deducted from you account and Charge Point periodically replenishes you account in amounts calculated from you useage profile.
    Now for the good news. The majority of the charging station are Free of charge ("for now" as they state). These stations are owned and operated by the station owner/sponsor. Most all merchant and car dealer owned are free and will probably remain so. Stations along the I-5 corridor appear to be free (for now). The majority that I looked into along the WA and OR route were free or fees were about $3 with a few $8 in Tacoma. The lattter, seemed to be owned my a gov. entity or utility, perhaps.
    Here is a point that comes to mind, regarding charging for these station in WA. Only public utilities are allowed to sell electricity and business, company other than utilities, landlords or individuals can only sell electricity at the same price they pay for it. Here, that is $.0807/kwh. Or $.80 for a 10kwh battery pack. So even the $3 fee would be in violation of the public regulation. Not sure how they can get around that since landlords, RV parks or marinas can't do it even if they do it by metering the consumption. These charging stations do calculate the total power consumed at the completion of charging. I would like to challenge this charge, even though the $3 does seem to be nominal. The $8 being greedy. However, I wouldn't, at this stage of system developement, challenge for fear it would slow down those entities that are interest in EV support. The For Profit guys better be careful and not get too greedy.

Just my thoughts, FWIW!

Steve

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are paying for the parking spot by the hour and it just happens to include charging. :)

The laws for reselling electricity vary by state and some states are amending their rules to accommodate the resale of electricity at convenience charging stations. Generally the charge stations are allowed to charge by the hour, but restricted from charging by the kWh.

The commercial stations cost north of $5000 so the there are some challenges to recovering the equipment cost unless you are a merchant and consider the $5000 as a customer aquisition expense for your primary business.

18. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't heard of any change in the PUD regulations and the landlords and marinas have been trying for years to get around it. Simply stated, if they offer electricity to a tenant and have a way of metering it (which the current charging station currently have) they can only charge what they pay for it with no markup except for the nominal fee ($1) for metering service.
    I've had a large boats at marinas in CA and WA for over 40 years. In WA, the only way they could charge is by metering and plus $1. At one public transit dock, with only limited long term useage, they were allowed to charge $3/day since due to the transit nature of the tenants, short term meter really was impactical. Sorry, kinda off topic.
    Anyhow, as I said, I don't think it would be wise to disrourage the seemingly rapid spred of the network. I just have concerns about the eventual over commercialization of "something Good".
    This could be perpetuated through merchants interest and chamber of commerce orginizations. Just emagine how many businesses a driver and family might visit during the several hour their car is charging. I know of a family resterant along I-5 that did "turn around" by intalling the Charge Point station in their parking lot. I think they got a short term sponsorship support and eventually will own the station.

Steve

19. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a reminder that we only have a week left to take advantage of this March sale on these home charging stations from ClipperCreek.
    Intially my son and I were going to combine our orders to try and get another 10% off and then three more work-mates of my son wanted charges as well. So ourt order would have been 5 units. However, a week of negotiations with the vendor, Nah! sale price was the best we could do. I will order today for my son and myself but still waiting to see of the other three guys want them at the sale price.
    I wired my car port for the 240v 30amp yesterday and am saving all the reciepts for the tax credit on 2013. ;o}

Steve