1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using the "Chris Fix" method of brake bleeding on my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by H00s13r, Sep 8, 2016.

1. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So I successfully drained and filled all the coolant systems and the ATF the other day. In the next couple of days I will be changing the spark plugs, but I am already starting to think about the brake flush.

The easiest way to explain how I have bleed/flush my brakes in other vehicles in the past is the method demonstrated in these Chris Fix videos.

(EDIT_For some reason I could not embed or even link the you tube videos-after jacking with this for 5 mins I took all links out that then it would let me save this as a new thread. Anyways, just go into youtube and put in the following to see the videos I was refering to

"Chris fix brake flush"
    "Chris fix one person brake bleeder")

I have watched the Nutz about Bolts prius brake flush video and am wondering if I can just use the above instead of a vacuum device as most people don't have whatever equipment that they used. I figured I could put the vehicle in invalid mode, then do one rear brake caliper at a time. I would need to figure out what diameter clear tubing will be needed to fit snugly on the bleeder valve nozzle end.

At the very least I think I could use this method to do the front brakes because like NAB says in his video the front brakes are done the old school way where the brake booster is just pushing the fluid to the caliper as you press down on the brake.

Let me know your guys thoughts or if anyone has done this already without any special tools or equipment.
    Thanks,
    H00s13r

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a hand-pump Mighty-Vac, but have never really found a use for it. I'm thinking to follow the @NutzAboutBolts video, and use a home-made bottle to catch fluid, a syringe with tube extension to pull fluid out of the reservoir, and a "bleed adapter" (Mighty-Vac's terminology, likely common use) plus length of clear tubing. In short, no vacuum during the bleed process, and just mechanical vacuum (the syringe) to get fluid out of the reservoir.

Basically all the stuff to the left of the Mighty-Vac, lol:

image.jpeg

You can just use clear tubing pushed directly onto the bleed nipple, but the bleed adapters are handy: they have a concave pocket, stay locked on better.

It seems like bleeding the back brakes is a walk in the park, as long as the brake pedal is depressed the system will pump fluid out through the bleed screw. With the fronts, you need to work closely with the assistant on the brake pedal, which is very nicely shown in the video.

I just need to work up the nerve to try this, maybe in November in conjunction with snow tire install. :oops:

#2 Mendel Leisk, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    nuts and bolts video works the best because all u have to do is hold the brake pedal down until you're done,no pumping the pedal

4. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you decide to take this on, please post back your results.
    Thanks,
    H00s13r

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah I understand that it probably is if you have a vacuum device, but I don't have such a device and I really don't want to spend money on something I will maybe use once or twice. I am trying to do this as economically as possible.

A simple piece of clear tubing firmly attached to the bleeder valve with a zip tie and the other end of the tubing goes into a collection bottle with a hole in the cap to allow the tubing to pass through it. You have the end in the bottle submerged in some old fluid that is removed from the reservoir with a turkey baster. You have a small arch on the tubing from the bleeder valve to the bottle by keeping the bottle slightly lower. By doing this and having the other end of the tubing submerged in the old fluid inside the bottle you prevent air from being drawn back into the caliper.

This works great on traditional brakes and I have used this method on several other cars in the past.

What I am asking is if I can follow his video using this instead of a vacuum device which I don't own or want to purchase. I am going to pm NAB and see if he can weigh in as well.
    Thanks,
    H00s13r

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could go to the original location of the (YouTube) video, and post a question. Note: right click the video linked here, and I believe one of the options is to view in original location.

I really think vacuum is not needed, as long as there's steady pressure pushing fluid out, all the time the bleed bolt is open. This seems really easy with the rear, a little trickier with the front.

I'm not sure though, and it'd be good to find something definitive.

7. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You don't need a vacuum device to do this job. We only used the vacuum device to remove the deeper end of the brake fluids in the reservoir. You can use a turkey baster to remove the brake fluids in the reservoir if you don't have a the vacuum device, just make sure your tips are small enough to get in there to remove as much fluids as you can.

As for bleeding the rear brake fluids, its electronically controlled so you just have to step on the brake pedal and hold it and once you open the bleeder valve, it'll just start flowing. You don't have to worry about pumping the brake pedal. The fluids will come out quick, so watch your brake fluid reservoir before it goes low.

For the front brakes, you will need 2 people to do this. It'll be like your conventional brake bleeding method. Pump the brake pedal 3 times and hold. Then have the other person open the bleeder valve and close. Repeat until the fluids are clean.

Like I said before, you don't need a vacuum device to do this job. I hope that clarifies everything.

m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  9. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius