Using the Primes 120v Charger at 240 Volts, Cost $20 !!!

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Rob43, Mar 16, 2019.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That RV adapter is just for a heavy duty 120V 30Amp circuit / socket, allowing you to use standard duty 20Amp and 15Amp plugs. It won't get you 240V. It shouldn't plug into any 240V socket in your house.

You won't find the 240V-120V adapter you want, sold commercially anywhere in the U.S., because it is dangerous in the hands of the uninformed or unwary. It can't possibly meet safety codes. If you really want to buy one online, start looking first on Alibaba in China. Though I won't swear that they'll have it either.

==========================

Go back and read some of the many posts by Rob43 about making your own adapter. He was the expert here, and even sold custom adapters made-to-order to PC readers. But he hasn't logged in here, in more than a month.

The problem is that such adapters are inherently dangerous. Not when used for the Toyota EVSE / charging cord purpose on systems whose internals are built to automatically work in both voltages. Rather, just having such adapters hanging around where others can accidentally or unknowingly plug a 120V-only device into it, destroying them and possibly causing a fire or worse. Maybe that caused Rob43 to back away, I don't know.

There are liability problems involved in making and selling such inherently hazardous adapters to others. Possibly even to giving advice. By asking for a wiring diagram, you sort of mark yourself as insufficiently familiar with electricity, thus being a risk. Thus, you may need to go do more reading and research yourself until you are sufficiently confident about what you are doing. While it can be done, it really needs to be strictly do-it-yourself. And consider permanently attaching the EVSE and adapter together, so the adapter can't accidentally be used for something else.

Good luck!

Hicksite likes this.
  2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Besides what fuzzy1 said above, I believe the PiP EVSE has not been fully tested for 240 v use. As you can see by looking at both your EVSE's they are not the same. The Primes EVSE has been verified to work on 240 volt by some PC users. ( remember, you accept the possible risks, whatever they might be).
    Apology for not mentioning the PiP EVSE not being 240 volt tested and verified earlier as those threads are older and harder to find than the Primes EVSE.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  3. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Give it a shot and let us know.. looks like it should work.

4. Paul Rekow

Paul Rekow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I took the RV adapter back and bought a 240v plug and 120v receptacle. Hooked up only one leg of the 240v plug, per a friends advise and left the second disconnected. Hooked up the 120v receptacle as usual. Plugged in the old charging cable from my 2012 Prius Plug-in that was a spare and it worked (after removing the damaged rubber seal ) I have not used it extensively, since I prefer to use the 120v with the Kill-A-Watt meter to keep track of my kwh.
    Overall, I've had my Prime about a month, and am fairly pleased. Currently a full charge gives me a anticipated miles to empty of 31.9 miles. My average miles per kwh is 4.78, which is better than the 3.7 I was getting in the plug-in version, although I haven't had any winter months yet.

jjmerp likes this.
  5. Pearly21

Pearly21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    @Rob43 Im interested in buying one of your cord. 10-30p.

6. Stormforger

Stormforger New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @Rob43 I am in the process of getting an electrician to install a 240V outlet in my garage. Reading your posts, it seems like I should go with a NEMA 14-50R to future proof myself. (I have a Prius Prime now). Can I get one of your converter cords?