Using the Primes 120v Charger at 240 Volts, Cost $20 !!!

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Rob43, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This adapter should honestly be a standard accessory from Toyota.

I went and looked at Teslas the other week and they have adapters for the standard 120V charging cord they give you for a NEMA 6-50 (thats what I have) for $35. I'll be honest and say I didnt actually see the adapter, but I imagine its just a standard plug -> 6-50 adapter.

FWIW I was looking at replacing my 2010 Prius (not the Prime!!! I love it). We ended up not doing it since we've literally only driven a combined 2700mi since December and it didnt make any sense to get a new car. Wanted a Rav4 Prime, but the dealerships were charging $11k over MSRP (which is why we looked at Teslas)

rjp123 likes this.
  2. 100 free watt hours

100 free watt hours Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got 98,000 miles on my 2019 Prius. I could never get 25 miles charge with 110v when it was new. I got 27-28 miles charging it with 220v when new. Now I can only get about 22 miles charge and only get about 18 miles of actual driving. If I turn off the air or heat the mileage will jump up to 25 miles or so. I've read other people have been getting 36 miles range. For only being 2 years old I'm disappointed in the range.
    I charge mine up everyday and sometimes 2-3 times a day.

Dael likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I made that post about two weeks after getting my 2-year old Prime. Since then, it takes the exact number of kWh to do a full charge as when I first got it. (I'm now at about 53,000 miles.) I also charge mine almost every day and often more than once. Today will be three charges. Miles per charge is totally meaningless without knowing how many miles per kWh you get. Whether you charge at 120 or 240 volts, the battery will hold the same, but it will take a little more electricity to charge at 120V since the charger will be running its fan more than twice as long.

It boils down to the miles per charge being a result of multiplying the miles per kWh by the kWh held in the battery. A change in EITHER the m/kWh OR the battery capacity will change the miles of range. So if the range has changed, it could be either the capacity or the driving efficiency. I get anywhere from 24 to 35 miles per charge depending on which roads I'm driving and what the weather is. Your range is mostly affected by your right foot.

gene and Salamander_King like this.
  4. Dael

Dael Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    we get about 32 in summer. and it all depends whether you're driving freeway or local. Driving slow, saves battery.