1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

using the Prius as a generator: is it bad for the battery or engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hockeymonkey33, Mar 12, 2018.

1. hockeymonkey33

hockeymonkey33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I started living in my 2013 Prius (Toyota certified used vehicle) about a month ago and to make things more comfortable, installed a 1000w Motomaster (Canadian Tire house brand) pure sine wave inverter to the 12V battery in the back to run things like a small 200W heater, laptop, LED light rope and to recharge iPad, smartphone, etc.
    When I go to sleep or am working on my laptop, I leave the car in Ready mode and turn on the inverter so that the engine starts when the battery gets low as indicated on the dash display. I have a thermostat controller attached to the heater so it kicks in anytime the interior temperature falls below 15 degrees Celsius and stops at 16 degrees Celsius (adjustable). I usually unplug my laptop after the battery is about 80 percent full and turn off the inverter and might even turn off the vehicle depending on whether I need the heater or if I need to recharge something else. It does not seem to use too much gas with my usage pattern but I was wondering how much extra wear and tear I am putting on the batteries and the engine, ie. would I be due for an oil change sooner than would be indicated by number of kilometres driven?
    I have gotten quite used to living in it but I am constantly thinking about these issues and could not find anything on the web to answer them. Your consultation on this matter is appreciated.

donbright likes this.
  2. hockeymonkey33

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I forgot to add that I cut out Reflectix for all the windows including windshield and lay down a large piece covered by a black plastic garbage bag on the rear dome window which seems to keep the interior warmer.

3. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that's harder duty for both the battery and the engine but it's not the end of the world. Yes, you'll probably want to change the oil more often, but you can afford it with all the money you're saving on rent. Your duty cycle is more like a taxi and most of those manage to survive.

Danny3xd likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to Prius Chat.

You should be OK with the power draw running one high wattage item at a time.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would check dipstick every week, once it's dark like it was driven 5ooo miles, change.

Long as you don't exceed 120 amp draw (which you're not), you'll be okay

Danny3xd likes this.
  6. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy and welcome, HM.

I do that for hrs most days and don't think it hurts a thing.

Covering big time will help conserve heat. Especially the windows. Heat rises and windows conduct cold.

7. hockeymonkey33

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    @taxibuddy you're right that I'm saving some dough!
    @padroo and @Danny3xd, roger that! I found that taking the battery out of the laptop I can actually hear the inverter start when I for example load a new web page and then go silent. Scrolling with the scroll bar seems to require a bit more power as well (can play the inverter like an instrument almost with it).
    @grid will do on the oil checks. 80 watts/19 volts for a laptop is little over 4 amp? I think it's watts = volts x amp but not sure about my math. Thanks guys!

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's a little more complicated than that, as you're going from DC to AC to DC -- so you need to account for loss in the conversion equipment. But the laptop is the least of your concerns... the heater is the big load.

Danny3xd likes this.
  9. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a thunk.

Hockey, I was kinda musing about your post and was thinking in such a small space, your big enemy is the loss of heat. Your own body could almost produce enough heat to keep you survivable but not comfortable due to insolating the space.

So was thinking along the lines of an igloo or pop-tent. Using slats to create a D-shape with heavy blankets or sleeping bags zipped together.

You would lose minimal space for much better heat loss reduction. It would also add some privacy.

==============================================================================

When I was a teenager, I lived in an abandoned car. Sorta like Huck Finn. Man, it was miss-a-bo! (I'm Gumby, damit!)

So spent a lot of time considering these sort of things. LoL.

One homeless guy talking to another; "Last winter, I slept in a box all......"

Other homeless guy; "You had a box!?"

==============================================================================

But best of luck! And please check in when ya can....

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Where do you sleep?

From the cars point of view it is just topping up the battery. The lightest duty it could ever have.

How do you put the reflectix up and down?