1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Using the radio when not in ready

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Mike27629, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Mike27629

Mike27629 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am new to hybrids I have had my C3 for just over a week. With my previous car I would spend my lunch time in my car listening to my XM radio. I read in the owners manual for the C that I should not leave the radio on unless the engine is in ready, because it will drain the 12 volt battery. Will it harm the car in any way if I leave the engine in ready and listen for about 15 to 20 minutes a day? Any advice is appreciated.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No. Stay in Ready all you like.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will keep the 12v battery from running down which can damage it because of its small size.

4. Mike27629

Mike27629 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the feedback!

5. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The ICE will come on from time to time to charge the HV battery (which in turn will keep the 12V battery charged), but there's nothing wrong with doing this. Be sure to leave the car in Park and NOT in neutral.

RocMills likes this.
  6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I sit and listen to the radio as I finish my cigar before I head in to work. Depending on the route I drive this can take 10-45 minutes. I keep the car in ready and do not shut it off when it's cold since I use the heater/fan to move the smoke out. This can take the trip mpg down several mpgs overall. When the weather is warmer and a bit windy I can sit with the car off and just listen to the radio with the windows down. As long as you drive the car and the 12v battery gets charged...you'll be ok. Extended accessory use w/out recharging would be less than optimal.