1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Utility Company Excess PV Power Payment: 1099?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hill, Jul 17, 2010.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Let's say we leave $2,000 worth of Kwh energy on the books down at the local utility company, at the end of our calander year. Now, they have to write us a check. If So Cal Edison sends a Fed 1099 form along with the check, the Fed's consider it taxable income, andwill take about $400 out of it (in our tax bracket). I've tried to find whether there's been any thought at the legislative level on this, but not yet. Has anyone heard anything on home systems being taxable income? It the state/feds tax PV generation payments as income, then that means any maintenance costs I have to put toward our PV should count as an offset. Maybe I've just done tax law for too many years, and shouldn't think about the ticky tackies so much.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems like you're reducing your costs thru investment so depreciation, but we do need the money so, thank you!:D

3. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill,

It may be hard for you to believe this, but some of us
    are not burdened with the problem you describe. :-O

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Um, yea . . . . and some folks describe problems installing an EBH ... or averaging over 57mph per tank full ... or driver's seat discomfort ... or finding their issue(s) on PC, so that they're not rehashing the same tired things. Thank you for stating the obvious, jcgee88, I'll try to remember your helpful comment. Gosh, I've been on PC for about 5 years and yet I've never heard ANY PC member point that out - regarding any one's question. Thank you for joining. And what IS the ratio of members that there needs to be, in order for a question to have merit on PC, according to you? You know ... so I won't end up wasting your time ...

;)

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LOL

Would that I were so burdened. :p

Hill,

Would it change things tax-wise if your array was declared to be an
    "Energy Farm?"

What if you structured things so the array and associated equipment was
    a self-sufficient entity that as conditions permitted/required sold energy
    to two users, you and the utility company?

6. Cactuscoug

Cactuscoug CactusCoug

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Let's say we leave $2,000 worth of Kwh energy on the books down at the local utility company, at the end of our calander year."

A couple of things: 1.) You are assuming a huge system. My 5.14 Kwh system (which is considered large) will produce around $1200 per year, most of which we will consume. 2.) I don't believe that utility companies are required to send out 1099s on any overage. 3.) Whether they do or don't, under tax law, you are required to declare the income. 4.) Most of us won't declare the income, which might total $50-100.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just a wild guess here -- since I cannot depreciate the asset, I should not have to declare income from it. I agree though that if the elec company sends a 1099 our hand may be forced.

8. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $2000 is a lot of excess. Here in Jersey, systems that are designed to produce a surplus are not allowed. My system, 9.72kW, is right about at the break even point. Any excess is paid at wholesale so it would take an awful lot to reach $2000.

9. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in CA we start to get paid for our surpluses next year, reimbursement amount per kwH TBD. WooHoo! Up until now, all the utility did is say "Thank you very much!" and zero out the credit. Actually, I don't even think they said "Thank you very much!". :rolleyes:

10. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Since you are receiving income from your PV sytem, go get a business license and write off the PV system as depreciating assets.

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Link? Previously, net-metering was just a way to reduce your utility bill, not receive a revenue stream for the excess production.

12. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "Net-metering" is usually just a billing system agreement that lets you generate electricity and feed it back on to the grid.

It typically has nothing to do with reducing utility bills and often many of the net-metering plans can end up costing you more if you are not careful.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Where you been?
    :p
    SCE - Net Energy Metering FAQ's

The law went into effect a few months ago.

When we add panels 37 through 40 in a few months, we'll be generating $4000 worth (each of our existing 36 panels is rated at 225 watts) per year. Our utility tells us we will be paid for surplus at the tiered level we (over) produce at. In other words ... if you only have 100Kwh each month surplus, you're paid a lower rate (tier 1) BUT if you have 600Kwh - 700Kwh surplus in a month, you are paid a higher tier. Yes, I know some states do the paltry wholesale thing, but not here ... so they say. We'll see. Supposedly, it's not set in concrete yet.

The Calif. Board of Equalization (BOE) only requires companies to have a license if they're selling a "PRODUCT" ... versus a service. Our teeny mom & pop corporation provide services, so we don't need a biz license. The way our biz is structured, it rents space out of our home, so the rent that our corporate identity pays us, includes its electricity. That structuring entitles us to depreciate ... and we do. All that's off topic ... but I'm not above that. :p Still ... it doesn't mean we will or won't get 1099'd.

Some tax revenue things simply don't get thought out by legislators. Some things don't get taxed due to public policy. Take all the poor slobs short selling property. That forgiven debt is normally taxable income in the eyes of the tax collector ... but for kindness policy, they make exceptions. I'm hoping that public policy will look favorably enough on folks going the extra mile to over-generate (for the benefit of the community, and the PV owner's pockets) so that the 'free-money' will encourage more folks to go solar (or wind).

FWIW, the $2,000 was just for throwing out a round number. We may be close though, to around $1,200 in surplus, turning on if/when the dang factory plug-in's/ EV's finally come out. That's why we over built in the 1st place.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the link. I had researched Net Metering back in 2008 and at that time, there was no mechanism for compensation for excess electricity generation. I was holding off putting a solar system on the roof until I decided which EV to get, since under the pre-AB920 regime, I wouldn't get any benefit from generation that was in excess of consumption.

I will have to re-visit my research into solar systems....

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I realize you are located in the SF Bay Area, but note that Southern California Edison has put on hold any applications for "California Solar Initiative" incentive funds, received after July 9. This applies to Pacific Gas & Electric as well since the SCE announcement indicates this is a statewide hold. Looks like the current incentives will be diminished when the hold is removed.
    SCE - CSI Incentive Update

It also looks like the current PG&E incentive is so small that it is almost an insult: $0.65 per watt, if I am reading the chart correctly. The SCE incentive is $1.90 per watt, somewhat better but barely enough to write home about.
    Statewide Trigger Point Tracker

A system installed in northern CA will be less productive (compared to southern CA) due to less solar energy reaching the array on an annual basis. So if the financial incentive is barely there, why bother unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Regarding the OP's question, it seems likely that the utility company payment for excess power production would be taxable income. I don't know that a 1099 would be issued because this is not interest or dividend income.

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Leave it to the utility companies to fu*k you.... :mad:

I would agree with your belief that any payment received from the utility companies would be taxable income. A 1099 is not exclusive to dividend or interest income. My company has used contractors for short-term projects and at the end of the calendar year, the contractors are issued 1099s. I don't recall the specific form number, but it was indeed a Form 1099.

Given the latest iteration on ripping off the electricity consumer by PG&E, it looks like my earlier decision to defer solarization until I decide which EV to purchase continues to be the prudent course of action. Thank you for your link.

17. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've got to believe that they will want you on a TOU plan if you want to get more than baseline rates... Of course, if you are generating that much excess electricity, you will probably want to be on a TOU plan, anyway.

The utilities have a history of fighting anything that encourages production outside of their control... I would expect to only get paid actual electricity rates - so subtract about 10c/kWh from full retail rates. I also would not be surprised to see you have to work through the current minimum billing amount.

For example, I currently have to pay SDG&E a minimum 17c/day or a bit more than $5/month, even though over the past 3 months I've generated 316 more kWh than I've used (though I expect to fully use that extra energy in the winter when the PV generates less).

That hold only applies to government/non-profit applications. Residential/business applications are not affected.

I am not sure how the CSI funds were divvied up (probably based on # of households or something), but the Bay Area is known to be liberal and wealthy - it's no wonder they went through their CSI rebate money faster.

See data here: California Solar Statistics

Residential installed PV for the 3 different regions in MW:
    PG&E: 118.9
    SCE: 54.3
    CCSE: 25.7

See above comment about Bay Area being wealthy in general. :)

A 1099-MISC would very likely be applicable for this situation - that's the tax form often filed when one performs contract work, for example.

18. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With PV systems costing under $6/watt (current 1BOG program in San Francisco is $5.39/watt, Los Angeles is $5.75/watt) you may have a point with the PG&E rebate, but the SCE rebate is huge, knocking a third off the price of your system! Combined with the Fed tax credit that can cut the price in half.

(Note that the CA rebates are designed to reflect actual system output as installed, while the prices I quoted are for nameplate values - actual system output is typically about 75-80% nameplate rating. For example, my system's nameplate rating is 3.24 DC kW, but the CEC-AC rating is 2.7 kW.)

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the clarification. I went back to the website and saw this:
    "Q1. What applications are not impacted by this CPUC ruling?
    A. This CPUC ruling does not impact any residential or commercial EPBB incentive Applications received after July 9, 2010, nor any applications at all received on or before the date of July 9, 2010..."

Also, thanks for the comment regarding 1099-MISC. I don't recall whether I disclosed my social security # as a new customer of Tucson Electric Power last year. The utility company would need your SSN, to complete that form.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Thank You Patrick! You're right! Without a SS #, the utility company can't 1099 you. That's a good sign. The utility would have to come back/rewrite their net metering agreements, and that could really open a can of worms.