1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Utility Fuel Cell module

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jun 17, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looking for something else, I found this carbonate (high temperature) fuel cell system:
    https://www.fuelcellenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Product-Spec-SureSource-1500.pdf
    • 1.4 megawatt
    • natural gas fueled, 10860/hr (181 scfm * 60)
    • 47% efficiency
    • ~700F (371C) exhaust
      • Heating or absorption cooling
    • Water, in 4.5 gpm with surge to 15 gpm, discharge 2.25 gpm
    • 107,000 lbs, largest skid 50,000 lbs
    For a disaster area, this might be a feasible approach IF the roads can handle the load. However, barges and rail might be a better approach.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this more efficient than just burning the natural gas, or is it the best to make electricity for lighting and etc.?

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is likely more efficient at that scale.
    Perhaps it can replace the generators on an anaerobic digester system.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Gas turbine generators that exhaust into a steam generator are achieving combined ~60% efficiency:
    Gas turbine - Wikipedia

Gas turbines can be particularly efficient when waste heat from the turbine is recovered by a heat recovery steam generator to power a conventional steam turbine in a combined cycleconfiguration.[37] The 605 MW General Electric 9HA achieved a 62.22% efficiency rate with temperatures as high as 1,540 °C (2,800 °F).[38] For 2018, GE offers its 826 MW HA at over 64% efficiency in combined cycle due to advances in additive manufacturingand combustion breakthroughs, up from 63.7% in 2017 orders and on track to achieve 65% by the early 2020s.[39]

The other problem with this fuel cell is the cost per kWh is higher than wind generated:
    • $3.32/1k cubic feet March (EIA)
    • $36.05 natural gas to generate 1.4 megawatts for one hour
    • $0.026/kWh (fuel cost after installation and does not include water and sulfur disposal/sale)
    • Wind power, <$0.01/kWh (marginal cost after installation)
    It is the same problem Prius owners have faced from the beginning:
    • Capital costs - one time purchase higher than gas but approaching diesel premium
    • Operational costs - fuel, oil, tires, insurance, e.t.c.
    Prius owners pay more today so we can pay less for gas tomorrow. A plug-in hybrid owner, my Huntsville miles, ~90%, are half the cost of the gas miles.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That example NG turbine is 432 times larger in capacity than the fuel cell. It has the benefit to efficiency from simply being big. It sure ain't portable.
    Siemens' smallest turbine appears to be 4MW. Gas turbines - Power Generation - Siemens Global Website
    Capstone has 1MW and smaller units, with the 1 MW being 33% efficient. C1000S :: Capstone Turbine Corporation (CPST)
    The majority of generators of similar capacity are piston engines. The best are just over 40% efficient. https://www.mhi.co.jp/technology/review/pdf/e451/e451029.pdf

Their efficiency can be improved by putting the waste heat to work, but that is also an option with solid oxide fuel cells. Nissan's makes use of that heat to run the onboard ethanol reformer. Home scale fuel cells claim over 90% thermal efficiency when plumbed to cogen heating and hot water.

PS: Article didn't mention efficiency, but this is interesting. Someone developed a portable generator powered by a radial engine.For emergency use, it has a marked size advantage.
    Clear Energy Systems Debuts Smallest-Ever Mobile 1-MW Power System

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not just size, efficiency is also driven by having two heat engines. The high exhaust temperature of the gas turbine engine is enough that a steam generator can produce the rest of the energy. In contrast, the 700F (644K) exhaust temperature of the fuel cell modules makes extracting more energy difficult ... not impossible, just hard to scale.

BTW, Mercedes once looked at a Rankin cycle, a steam cycle, using a non-water fluid to extract heat from the exhaust pipe. My understanding they learned valuable lessons . . . don't do it.

Bob Wilson

#6 bwilson4web, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yet this unit is already capable of providing steam for heating, cooling, or even possibly through a steam turbine for more electric. But does anyone make a steam turbine that small?

Which goes to my point that comparing a power plant that can power a city to one that can only power a building is not a like comparison. A jackhammer will strike concrete with more force than a hammer, but you won't use it to drive nails.

In that small scale, this fuel cell is more efficient at making electricity than the available ICE options. They are all cogen capable, potentially driving their over all thermal efficiency over 90%.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm fairly calm about this because I stumbled across this June 8, 2018 article:
    Steep Share Drop At FuelCell Energy Tied To Earnings Miss, Connecticut Energy Policy - Hartford Courant

. . . FuelCell Energy Inc. rebounded slightly Friday after falling more than 9 percent Thursday with the release of its second-quarter earnings that missed analysts’ expectations.

But the Danbury fuel cell manufacturer’s biggest share owner said Friday he believes investors are showing nervousness in advance of new state energy policy that previously did not favor fuel cells as part of Connecticut’s portfolio of low-emission energy.

FuelCell Energy posted an $18.2 million loss, or a loss of 23 cents per share, greater than the $12 million loss, or 15 cents per share, expected by analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.
    . . .

I don't see them as driven by a goal beyond trying to not go broke. They had the Connecticut government pass a law so they could get 'parity' with wind and solar. Why do they need a State government bill to support their product?

So I looked at their product offering thinking it might apply to Puerto Rico and the specs don't add up. I could not come up with any credible scenario that made sense versus a megawatt, wind turbine and battery storage.

A carbonate fuel cell does away with having to reformulate hydrogen through steam reformulation, a lossy step. Yet the 47% efficiency just doesn't make sense along with the water requirement. I even considered a sea going barge and again, it didn't make sense.

The other 'lesson learned' is apparently this fuel cell approach does not scale well to smaller, vehicle sized units. I won't rule out that an aggressive designer might be able to make a 75kW, carbonated fuel cell but I won't be holding my breath. There are opposed piston engines that make more sense in weight and power density.

Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fuelcell Energy has a plant in Bridgeport, Connecticut that is 5 of their 2.8MW units plus a 15MW steam turbine running off the waste heat. Couldn't find an efficiency quote, by comparable to a combined cycle plant wouldn't be out of line. They use Molten carbonate fuel cell - Wikipedia, and the water is for the natural gas reformation it is doing. That will be an issue for locations, but many of our current power plants consume water.

Bloom Energy makes solid oxide fuel cells that don't need water "under normal use". Guess they are recycling the waste vapor. Their larger unit is 300kW, and are mostly used as supplementary and back up generators to installations and buildings. These are more likely to be used in emergency. Nissan is already using SOFCs in vehicles.
    https://www.bloomenergy.com/ Bloom Energy Server - Wikipedia

Outside of niche applications, fuel cells don't make financial sense for stationary power generation. For Puerto Rico, solar and wind with battery back up is a better option. Of course, a NG turbine may even be cheaper.

Perhaps fuel cells will be able to compete with piston generators used in small plants like those on dairy farms and land fills. Then raw material supplies might replace batteries for renewable electric storage with electrolyzers and a fuel cell.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • 5 * 2.8 MW = 14 MW
    • 14 / (14 + 15) ~= 48% of the power from fuel cell
    • 15 / (14 + 15) ~= 52% from steam unit
    Now IF the fuel cell had an efficiency of 30%, it would be easy to report the combined efficiency of 60%. But their specs claim the fuel cell is 47% efficient. This leads to a projected system efficiency of ~94% which is more than a little 'optimistic.'

Perhaps you can provide a source so I can follow-up?

The reason I ask is apparently using waste heat for HVAC is often used to improve system efficiency rating.

Interesting the Wiki reports "52%" so I checked their data sheet which claims "65%-53%." I'm OK with the "53% which appears to be LHV (Lower Heating Value) but wonder if "65%" is higher heating value. Regardless, I'm OK if the fuel cell exhaust is hot enough to generate more electricity. I'm just not getting an impression of a co-generation power unit. At "16 tons" each, to approach 1.4 MW, 5-6 units, 80-96 tons, 160,000-192,000. Also, I'm not seeing how they handle sulfur.
    We agree. I'm thinking if there is a ready source of methane like a landfill or waste water treatment plant, it makes more sense than just flair gas or a diesel. I would also like to see sulfur handled (I grew up in Oklahoma with a lot of sour gas wells.) But their IPO looks to be in trouble:
    Fuel Cell Company Bloom Energy Prepares For Market Debut - Bloom Energy (Pending:BE) | Seeking Alpha

Bob Wilson

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was wondering about that figure later in the day. Turns out I misread the article I found; it is 15MW(actually 14.9) for the entire plant. So the steam generator is only adding 0.9MW

Here is the plant's page, Bridgeport Fuel Cell

We might need to clarify terms here.

Cogeneration is capturing a power plant's waste heat for use elsewhere. Heating is the most obvious use, but cooling and industrial chemical production are other uses. Cogeneration - Wikipedia

Combined cycle is when the waste heat/exhaust of a power generator is used to drive a second one. It could be viewed as a cogen system, but there are combined cycle plants out that are that are also cogen plants for heating. Combined cycle - Wikipedia

Now, combined cycle, and possibly cogen, technically doesn't apply to fuel cells because fuel cells aren't heat engines, but I think they work to differentiate between using the cell's waste heat make more electricity and using it for something else.

Bloom's fuel cell units aren't natural gas only; they advertise them being able to run on multiple gas and liquid fuels. The sulfur has to come out for the life of the cell. So Bloom should have the means of doing so, but a customer suing methanol won't need that equipment.

It is a question of whether the fuel cells can reach a price to make them preferable over some type of ICE generator.

I think Blooms primary customers are using them at computer server farms. There, the lower exhaust temperatures, and much lower vibration production compared to the typical generator are an advantage. Installing them nearby or inside, to reduce cost of running cable, is also easier.

bwilson4web likes this.