1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UV Protection in Sunroof???

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by jbkendrick, Jun 5, 2016.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This discussion has been about Gen 4 - but has anyone had experience with Gen 3 MOONROOF with SOLAR roof & exhaust fan? Does that roof let in a lot of heat too?

[I'm still considering one - there are 2 superseded "NEW" ones in dealers near here - but I want to experience a Gen 4 first.]

ETP likes this.
  2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    alanclarkeau, make sure I am not getting snarky.:LOL:

Had two and traded one and gave one to my daughter. Summer is stinking hot. The other 3 seasons it is a nice toy. If you can get a 2015 dirt cheap I would consider that as an option.

Changed my sig block to hypersonic red for car I never got!

#22 ETP, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about sure about "dirt cheap" - doesn't happen in Australia - at least my city. These 2 have been in the dealerships for at least 4-6 months (and there are 3 or 5 base models still in dealerships too) in my city. These 2 I-Tech models with solar roof also have Park Assist, Sat Nav, Radar cruise, emergency braking (don't think as advanced as Gen4's), "fakeleather" and electric seat adjustment etc.

I'm waiting for some Gen4s to become available - then I think these will be more negotiable, but at present with almost no Gen4s - that's all there is, and the prices on websites haven't dropped dramatically yet. The I-Tech models, I've never seen as TAXIs, so they'll be looking for private owners, but the base models will likely be snapped up for taxi duty when Gen4s turn up.

They're all white - every one of them.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, for GIII Pearl S has the solar roof/sun/moon roof. I find the fan an interesting touch (I leave it on all the time but it only runs when it's hot and sunny - as in both are required to get it to run). It -may- make a difference but I don't notice it. Perhaps because up here we are acclimatized to winter temps. so any summer like temps are HOT. Not unwelcome, never "too hot", just HOT. When you spend 5-6 months below -10C, and 4 below -15C you welcome HOT! ;)

If you want to escape the uV rays close the slider. That also reduces the heat buildup. I love the sun/moon roof because I can tip the rear up, open the slider an inch or two, and have more ventilation without excessive wind noise. The sun/moon roof is tinted. Haven't seen any specs on how much.

As far as blocking the uV, yes, glass doesn't block long wave uV. As far as "causing" cancer, there are -many- causes, and from what I've observed during my life, in friends and family, it takes more than one "cause" to start it. But that's just an unscientific observation. Anything in excess is dangerous.

jbkendrick likes this.
  5. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the insight. I always had 3M on previous cars. Although it's been so long... my tint guy is no longer in business.
    I even had him do my house! I have to find someone new.

Is it correct to say that the lower the % number... the lighter the tint is?

Like 35% is lighter than 50% tint? I remember going too much on one car and regretting it at night. It was illegal in my state... so evertime I saw a cop, I rolled the window down!

6. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Be careful as two tinters refused to do the moon roof. Said something about the glass getting too hot and exploding. Have no idea if that is true but decided if two said it to not do it. I am sure they were over reacting but it would be good to check with the dealer on this or Toyota.

7. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know where in SoCal you are, but I had mine done at Xtreme Tint in Whittier - been in business a long time, use quality materials, and stand behind their work.

8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now you mention it, decades ago when I worked in the tropics, we were in a building with large plate glass windows on the sunny side of the building and the heat transmitted was extreme. So they tinted the glass. They were set with a non-flexible putty into steel frames. On the first hot sunny day, they started cracking, like one every 2 or 3 days. Fortunately - in a way - the tint held the windows together. Eventually, they replaced the glass with a flexible mounting, re-tinted, and it was fine.

9. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm further south. Way way south, Southern California. SD County. I've got a call into a long time detailer friend... he should have a good recommendation. It's hard, when you had someone you trusted for years, doing all of my cars... and now I have to put my baby in new hands. Frankly, that's why I've been lagging on getting the windows done.

krmcg likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the 2010 Prius glass specification for comparison. I haven't found the 2016 Prius version yet

2010 Glass Specifications.JPG
    ***This is for the 2010 model

Sounds like a Gen 3 w/ Solar Roof would've worked better. I wonder if it really did sell well in hot climates cause even up here, it works well. It's rare I get into a hot car now. I'll miss it if I ever trade in the Gen 3 for something else.

Well you have a solid sliding sunshade so if you close that, you can reduce the amount of heat transferred into the cabin. Combine that with the HeatShield sunshade from the PriusChat Shop and the Solar Panel Ventilation System and it's reasonably cool given the outside temperature. Now, I'm not in the desert so I can speak for them but I assume they'll supplement the above with dark tinted windows.

Lastly, if you really want to spoil yourself, you can activate Remote A/C from the fob. It'll further cool the cabin and when combined with SPVS, the two can reduce cabin temperature by up to 35°C.

PriUncut and alanclarkeau like this.