1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

uv shield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cschrading, Oct 17, 2007.

1. cschrading

cschrading New Member

I am planning on purchasing a new 2008 Prius but don't know if I should get it with the navigation system since I am planning on having Llumar UV Shield installed on all the windows including the windshield. I heard somewhere it may interfere with the navigation system. I would actually choose the nav system over the UV shield if I didn't have to have it for medical reasons! Does anyone know if I will have a problem using the nav system with Llumar UV shield installed on all the windows?
    Thanks for your help! B)

2. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Since the Llumar UV blocks UVA & UVB radiation and is made out of plastic, chemically treated, material there should be no interference to the GPS reception.

By the way, the GPS antenna is located under the dash, behind the LCD display and towards the windshield .

3. cschrading

cschrading New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Oct 17 2007, 01:09 AM) [snapback]526729[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your reply!
    Does that mean if I do have a problem with reception for some reason, I could possibly just cut out a portion of the UV shield near the GPS antenna?

4. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The GPS antenna needs to "see" satellites from various angles, so I don't think a single hole would work.

Anyway, as long as the film is not metalized (which it shouldn't be), it'll be fine.

5. dallas2727

dallas2727 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Oct 17 2007, 02:09 AM) [snapback]526729[/snapback]</div>

I have tint on all windows, and the UV shield on the windshield. I use a tom tom mounted beneath the radio, basically 2 inches forward from the cup holders. No problem.

HOWEVER, the UV shield didn't turn out so well. My tint is beautiful and perfect. Same guy installed the UV shield twice now, and it just doesn't come out right. Because of the tilt in the glass it is a bitch to install, and has a bunch of imperfections. Also a pain to clean. I'm not sure I would get that again.