1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UX250h OEM Lithium Swap

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Mitch 7000, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Mitch 7000

Mitch 7000 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

This is my first post here. I’m trying to get some technical questions answered.
    I have a 2019 Lexus UX250h built for the Australian market.
    It has the P711 transaxle and a NiMh battery pack. This i believe is the Gen 4 THS/HSD.

I noticed on a thread here the other day that the new Prius and new C-HR have the Gen5 THS/HSD.

The interesting thing to me is that the 1VM MG2 being used in the Gen5 transaxles is only marginally more powerful than the 3NM MG2 unit used in the P711, and marginally less powerful than the 3NM in the P710.
    Despite this the feeling of driving the Gen5 corolla hybrids with the 1.8l engine feels more powerful when on EV mode than my Lexus UX250h.

I also have felt the difference between the Gen4 Camry Hybrid with the 2.5l engine with and without Lithium HV battery packs. The lithium gets better mileage and feels more powerful on EV mode.

I have found a Corolla Cross service booklet from Toyota EU that shows (presumably) a Gen4 P711 transaxle version made both with NiMh and Li ION batteries. I also did a deep dive on a Camry service booklet by Toyota EU.

I also did a deep dive on the P711 by purchasing an academic paper on its development.

Nowhere can I find details on the Inverter, PCU, or HV controller changes between cars made with NiMh and Lithium batteries.

So now to my question…

Given that a) Toyota is a company known for its parts standardisation and redeployment; b) the P710 and P711 both use the 3NM MG2; c) the Camry Hybrid with the P710 is built on the same lines with NiMh and Li ION battery packs; would it be possible to take an OEM Lithium HV battery pack and put it into my Lexus UX250h while retaining 1) the P711; 2) the same inverter; 3)the PCU and HV Controller?

I know this is a question that rambles and is perhaps overly technical. But I’m really trying to understand how one might enable the 3NM MG2 to get more power to it reliably from the battery as I believe the NiMh is not putting this beautiful car in its best light. I believe there’s more room for excellence in this powertrain and I want to try and extract that. I’m aware of NexPower/Dr Prius, however I lean more towards OEM solutions.

Cheers