1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

v Five Advanced Technology package: why or why not?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Quentin, Feb 16, 2012.

?

1. Bought AT, would do it again

50.0%
  2. Bought AT, wouldn't do it again

4.4%
  3. Skipped AT, would skip again

42.6%
  4. Skipped AT, would check the box

2.9%
  1. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I are flip flopping between the Five and Five with Advanced Tech package. We love the moonroof and the black roof. We like the 7" nav, JBL speakers, and radar cruise/pre-collision detect. We have no want for the Advanced Parking system. Basically, I feel that it is a lot of money for two things we really want and 5 things that we're not over the moon about.

So, for you Five owners, did you pony up for the AT package and would you do it if you had the chance again? What parts of the package lived up to your expectations, what didn't, what surprised you, what do you wish you had?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Re: v Five Advanced Techonology package: why or why not?

If you do alot of road trips and highway driving with the cruise, I find the Radar cruise invaluable... Enough I wanted it again in my Plug-in Prius and had to step up the the PiP Advanced to get it. I agree, the IPA is useless. It works, don't get me wrong, but I can park faster than using the system. It's nice as a gimmik when people are in the car and you need to parallel park. Don't forget you also get the Pre-collision system as part of the package which if safety is somewhat of a concern for you guys, that's in there as well. Oh, and you get Safety Connect too...

AllenZ likes this.
  3. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not all about Safety Connect due to the subscription service.

We are buying this for my wife to replace her MINI Cooper S*. We're having our first child in August, so safety certainly is a concern. My wife likes the moonroof over the rear seats because she thinks it will be interesting to the little one. Probably much more interesting looking at the clouds and rain and snow than the headliner. :)

* I'll be able to park my 4Runner and start daily driving the MINI. Win.

4. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

My must have item was the 7 inch Nav display with split screen function. Secondly, I wanted the radar in the front and everything that went with that (collision detection, dynamic cruise conrol, and I'm still holding out for a hack to veiw what the radar sees). Then there is the nice moonroof-like view that I liked very much. The parking assist sounds cool and usefull but it is too hard to get to work. I thing Toyota should give that technology back to Ford (did Toyota trade that tech with Ford?).

I saved up and wanted my Prius v with everything, but I thought it was greedy of Toyota USA to package all the goodies in the Advanced Tech. Package ONLY available on the highest model. It's much more fair to be able to sprinkle the goodies on all the models like Toyoda Canada does.

archiveman2977 likes this.
  5. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yes, Canadian Version "Luxury" package is a nice combination, moon-roof, navigation, leather seats + few extras.

Though, the only package I would like to see is a display with "Tire Pressure on each wheel" but I think they incorporated this option in Technology Package.
    Pr-collision system and self parking have not much value to me.

6. TPBC

TPBC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I replaced my MINI Countryman S for the Prius v. I do miss the fun factor of the MINI. However, your child will love the moonroof. I had the Panoramic roof in my old X5 and in the MINI. My 2 y/o twins always ask to slide back the shade. :D It's a bummer that it doesn't open. But, the fact it's one solid piece ensures it doesn't creak or have much flex over uneven pavement.

As far as the ATP. I agree it's difficult to justify an all or nothing package Toyota set up. They should jump on the a la cart bandwagon. But, then again BMW and other car makers love to nickel and dime you LOL. If you like the moonroof and safety features go for it. I'm glad I did. I haven't seen many v's with ATP so the black roof sets it apart. Keep us posted.

7. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I flip flopped on this for a week and decided not to go with it. I wanted the upgraded stereo and moonroof. I'm capable of parallel parking and monitoring traffic. I wouldn't depend on a car to do either for me. I'm a bit of a control freak that way I guess. I couldn't justify the cost to myself for a moonroof and larger stereo.

I agree having an intermediate package would have been nice. I'm not crazy about a la cart but a few set trim levels per package would have made me happier. Honda does this well. I think how Toyota handles it is likely more profitable though with a la cart even more so. W

1 person likes this.
  8. agilityv

agilityv New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

We choose not to go with the ATP. Although we liked the package the cost of an option costing 1/6 the value of the car was something that just didn't work for us. Like others I wish we could have purchased features in the ATP individually. There's things in the package that I would have purchased.

9. El_Spectre

El_Spectre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I got the ATP, primarily for the moon roof. By far my favorite feature is the radar cruise control, it is great not only on long trips, but also in moderate traffic.

I haven't tried the automatic parking, it seems too complicated and unnecessary for me to risk denting the new car.

10. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for all the feedback (and for voting in the poll!) I just got a new car program at work where I'll be able to buy an AT for what I'd have been able to bought a v5 previously. :)dances:) We were previously OK with spending that money anyway, so I'm very tempted to get the AT now.

Is the HDD navigation yards better than the less expensive multimedia interface? I'm generally a KISS person, and I do recall that the HDD nav has a higher cost subscription after the first 3 years thanks to all the XM stuff. It isn't super clear what you lose if you don't keep up the subscriptions. I let my XM subscription lapse on my 4Runner and I don't miss it one bit because I'm 100% streaming from my iphone via bluetooth with either my iPod app or Pandora. Am I going to be able to stay subscribed to Entune without all the XM stuff, too? The low-rent Entune seems like a better deal in the long run.

*K[eep] I[t] S[imple], S[tupid]

edit: did some more searching about. http://www.toyota.com/entune/learning-center/premium/help-support/faq/ If you click on the subscription service part, it tells you what the cost is. Apparently the upper trim Entune is the same price as the lower trim for app service, but the XM stuff (traffic, fuel, etc) are add'l. So really, the pricing isn't that much different because you don't have to get the XM stuff if you don't want to.

11. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I think the upper trim unit just has a nicer display. From what little I saw of the lower end one, the display is rather simpler, using just lower end display graphics. Of course, I haven't tried sticking in a DVD to see how well it shows pictures, and of course, you can't test that except while parked for the most part. Although for functionality, sake, I suppose this doesn't really matter.

Supposidly, the Greenedge tech of the JBL speakers are suppose to be lower energy using, so if you are an audio type person who wants it LOUD, you shouldn't be impacting your battery for power nearly as much for the sound (I, for one, am not a major audiophile or a person who wants to deafen my ears, but I can only presume that this MAYBE the appeal for those who are in for loud music or audiophiles)

I, for one, went with the ATP for the moonroof as well, since I don't buy cars a lot, and I wanted to keep this car for a while, I went with the only option that allowed me to have a moonroof. The Parking Assistance would probably come in handy for the craptastic situations of Parallel parking, but I mostly liked the Dynamic Cruise Control.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the Liftback w/ Technology Package (Canadian-spec) and love the DRCC. It's always an internal battle for me balancing FE on the highway without cruise (using SHM and other highway techniques) vs. just driving with DRCC and enjoying the ride.

APGS is a cool feature. Yes you can park faster (and I like to think I'm pretty good at parking. I'm picky about making sure the car is straight and centre in a spot. It bugs me if the car is ever so slightly slanted lol) but it's definitely a crowd pleaser and a cool party trick to show friends and colleagues.

13. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Curious what is still left after entune subscription runs out. Anyone know?

14. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Depends on if you go ATP or not... ATP wise, you are left with a 7" display over a 6.1 display, HD Radio, Hard Drive Nav and JBL GreenEdge Speakers. The other thing would be Moonroof and Dynamic Cruise Control.

1 person likes this.
  15. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One other quick question. Will you need entunes to run your cell phone via bluetooth thru the system?

1 person likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. It's a separate system. Entune is an app that you download onto your phone to connect with the car. It's different from the bluetooth connectivity for the handsfree or music streaming functions.

1 person likes this.
  17. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yup, you don't need entune to run the cellphone. Bluetooth is a given for the model 3 and 5 according to the site.

I will warn from experience, the bluetooth streaming will seem 'weird' depending on how your phone handles other situations. Like for instance, I thought there was a bluetooth issue while it was playing my music, which turned out that android devices tend to pause their media player when it does a notifcation sound.

18. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Placed my order today. :)

Prius v Five, Advanced Tech Package, Blizzard Pearl, dark gray interior, carpet floormats, mud guards. Now I just hope it arrives in time for baby Esther. She is due in August. :)

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on both accounts!

1 person likes this.
  20. snowsystem

snowsystem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Did anyone figure out why the W rated tires? My tire rack guy sold me new Michelin Serenity "non-low-rolling-resistant" tires. He also said they sell that Toyo tire for over $200 each! I wold have prefered the 16" wheels and more tire to absorb the bad roads in our area. Liked the Brigestone evo summer tires on my 2010 Prius.

That radar cruise however is worth the price of admission for the ATP. And what's with a sunroof that doesn't open ... real leather would have been nice too at this price (at least on the steering wheel !).