1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

V3 Supercharger Discussion

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by markabele, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Older Teslas will have to be able to use V3, but that doesn't mean they can completely 'pull' the fastest possible from the charger.

The older cells in the S and X are likely a limiting factor. Do they still receive lifetime, free Supercharger access? Should we start a refresh thread for them?

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why woudn't they? They paid for it. Until a few months ago I was giving out our Tesla referral codes for free unlimited supercharging for new purchasers of the S or X.

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think that's true. You have to receive an update to be able to use V3's. I would guess they won't that that update to an S or X. Allowing an S or X to use a V3 would also go against their stance of using the Supercharging resources to the fullest of their abilities.
    They will probably get it because Tesla operates that way, but I personally don't think V3 should be included in free Supercharging. IMO using a referral isn't "paying" for it.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They use the same plug, and the publicity would be bad if Tesla cars can't last longer than a decade, or if the company simply stopped supporting older models on the network. Is Tesla going to install V3 and current standard Superchargers side by side to 2030?

If they needed the code, then Tesla is no longer giving new S and X cars free lifetime access as they did in the past.

5. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unless they really have space issues at a Supercharger site, I would hope that they leave all the existing v2 superchargers in place and just add the new v3. Why waste perfectly usable chargers? Much more cost effective to just add v3 at the most impacted locations, right?
    Sure, in 5 or 10 years you can remove all the old ones

Mike

6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This may be heresy to say, but personally I think the V2 will be adequate for me, and I'll be driving 600 miles round trip soon every other week. Especially considering the new prewarming and higher output of current V2. A man has to eat and go to the bathroom at some point, right? :)

hill likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But there are still routes within the US that aren't completely covered by Superchargers. When the majority of the Tesla fleet can use V3, why install V2 units at new sites to just support models that are aging off the roads while software will let them use V3 at appropriate rates?;)

8. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did I say that they should install more v2 chargers?
    No.
    Just don't get rid of them in favor of new v3.

Mike

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And did I say anything on getting rid of existing V2 units?

10. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think (or am I wrong) that all new v3 chargers will support all existing Tesla cars. It is just that the S and X (and model 3 without the required SW update) will not be able to go up to 250 kw. I'm pretty sure that at some time soon, Tesla will install nothing but v3 chargers.
    My point was that they should replace any v2, just add to them. Unless a specific site has no more room, for example.

Mike

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sheez ..... maybe folks ought'a hold onto their shorts - at least until they have more than one V3. These massive energy pigs are also going to require bigger Transformers ... PV ... & battery backup, lest we forget, it may be a while before they're anywhere outside a few major crowded Metro areas. As it is some of the V2 are limited in power right now. Hint .... remember how long it took model 3 to actually get here and up-to-speed? Barney Fife says, "Move Along, nothing to see here".

jdcollins5 and el Crucero like this.