1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

V505 Bluetooth incompatible with accessory power cord?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rickkulp, Dec 1, 2004.

1. rickkulp

rickkulp New Member

My AT&T V505 Bluetooth functions work fine in my Prius as long as the phone is running off its own battery -- I can place and receive calls from the car's touch screen or directly from the phone as expected, and talk hands free.

But if I connect the accessory power cord to the phone, things no longer work. It tries to place the call but comes back with a message "call terminated by network" on the car's touch screen and "call failed:" on the phone display. And incoming callers get no answer.

I need to disconnect the power cord and restart the car to get back to proper Bluetooth functioning. This is clearly unacceptable, especially on trips where I would like the phone to be charging and functioning at the same time.

Have any of you experienced this problem? Have you found a solution?

Rick Kulp

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, weird...I'll test mine tonight and try to get back to you. I don't think I've actually had mine on the charger in the car yet and tried to use it.

I'll give it a try.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't been able to test incoming calls yet (wife didn't answer my page...think she knew she was being used??).

But, I did test outgoing calls to bpth my home (worked perfectly with cord connected), which I dialed through the 1-Touch dialing and hung up via the buttons on the wheel. And to my wife's pager--dialed from the phone, pager number entered via the phone, message heard through the car. Again, both worked perfectly while connected to the charger in the car.

I have to wonder if there is some "In Car" setting that is slightly off or a charger setting or something. Will report further as I test further.

4. rickkulp

rickkulp New Member

Thanks for checking, Evan. Sounds like it may be something with my phone or setup. I asked AT&T and they said ask Toyota (naturally). I've also asked Motorola -- will post here if they have any insight.

Rick

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just making a few guesses here... but do you both have the same type of cable? Some cables are different than others, and even with simple applications like delivering power, it makes a huge difference.

Some cables will have the same connection as a combination serial/charging cable, and the phone will be somewhat confused as to whether or not it has an actual serial cable attached to it or not. You can easily recreate this confusion with any standard phone and a serial cable.

Not all phones are prone to this, but most have an either serial or bluetooth/IR type setup.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update/discovery...maybe.

Tonight when I came home I turned OFF my phone and plugged it into the charger. A short while later I needed to make a call so I picked up the still plugged in phone, turned on the phone...and nothing but a white screen and the message that the phone is charging. Could place a call at all.

So, I unplugged the phone from the charger, powered up again and all looked good. On a whim I plugged the phone back into the charger while it was still on. Sure enough, it showed it charging, but I was still able to place my call with the phone plugged in and charging.

When I'd done the tests I reported above the phone was always ON when I plugged it into the charger. I wonder if you have tried the same--turn the phone on before plugging it into the car's charger then try making a call through the BT system.

7. rickkulp

rickkulp New Member

Thank you, Evan, for confirming that it should work and, Johnny, for suggesting it might be my cord. Sure enough, replacing my old Verizon cord with a new Motorola branded version that looks virtually the same (same plugs at both ends, same wire thickness) made the difference. I can now talk hands free and charge the phone battery at the same time.

Rick

8. rickkulp

rickkulp New Member

Now that it's working, I went out to try to recreate your most recent test, Evan, in which you'd connected the still turned-off phone to the car cord and then tried powering it up and making a call.

When I opened the phone -- before turning it on -- I had the white charging screen that you describe. But I was able to then power on the phone and make a call without having to disconnect the cord as you describe.

Now I'm curious if the next time you try you'll find yours works as mine did.

Rick