1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

vacation + battery == disconnect ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jayl, Mar 5, 2011.

1. jayl

jayl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I am going on a vacation and so the car wont be drive for a while.

SHould I disconnect the battery? If so which one? and where is it and how should i disconnect it?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jay: Is the car going to be in your driveway.....if so....just leave it as is.

If you going away for weeks....I would purchase a small trickle charger, hook it up at the battery jump point under the engine hood, set it at the low position....leave it on while your on vacation....the car will be fine...:cheer2:

3. jayl

jayl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes it will be in the driveway.. and i will be gone for weeks... no time to get the trickle charger now...

any other suggestions on what to do?

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You shouldn't have a problem if you are gone for 3 weeks or less. If you will be gone for more than four weeks -
    You may disconnect the 12V battery -ve terminal if you like. It's in the hatch area, under the floor, right side as you face the hatch. Remove the hatch floor, remove the cargo box, remove the piece over the battery on the right. You now have full access to the 12V battery. Be aware, if you disconnect the battery you will not be able to open the hatch from the outside as it has an electric latch. You will have to crawl over the rear seat, reach under the hatch floor and use the "emergency hatch release" lever near the centre of the hatch. Or just crawl in there (leave the floor bits off when you disconnect the battery) and slip the -ve terminal over the post. Then the hatch release will work and you can work from the open hatch.

Also, when you reconnect the battery you will have to reprogram the radio stations and reset the front window auto down/up function (roll down half way then roll all the way up and hold up button for a few seconds).

5. jayl

jayl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks... I think I will chance it... since i Ill not be gone for long.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Turn off the SKS

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately they didn't give us a way to do that with the Gen3. It is suppose to turn off automatically after some number of days.

To the OP, don't worry about it, it will probably be OK. At worst you will need to charge the 12Volt battery or have it jumped (instructions are in the owner's manual). The HV battery will be fine.

8. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I was at the dealer the other day last week
    They had a winter gray(five)on the show floor and it had a Battery charger on it and two salesman were looking at it??I think it was sold!
    My car has been in the Barn since November1 started it up Feb 10!
    Started right up, Ran it down to the Gas station put a couple gallons of gas in it and charge it up! no problem cold garage! I think when you lock it up puts everything to sleep.
    Don't waste your time or your money! When it won't start call Toyota Roadside assistance!
    I think you have it for 3 or 4 years.

9. jayl

jayl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it started just fine.

However when I drove it a bit there was a knocking sound... seemed like had a flat tire but nope... also when I was braking there was a bad knocking like sound...

I will drive it again tonight to see if the sounds goes away or not...

any thoughts? as to what the knocking sound is?

Thanks,

10. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tires got a flat spot where parked? If so, will work out with use.

11. jayl

jayl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    can you explain what you mean by tires got a flat spot where parked?
    also would that create the sound on braking ?

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The tires deform where they rest on the ground. If they stay there for a long time that "flat spot" can set in. It will work out quite quickly once the tires warm up from running.

It's possible that application of the brakes gives the sound a better path into the car's chassis. More likely is the brake rotors rusted on one spot (perhaps water was held by the calipers against the rotor). That should also quickly wear away with application of the brakes, but that is slower on a Prius due to much of the braking being from regen.

It's also possible -something- has collected on the inside of a wheel, throwing it out of balance. You'll have to look carefully to see if this is the case.

13. jayl

jayl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks everyone for the responses...

thats what I thought the flat spot meant but wasnt 100% sure...

all sounds have gone and the driving is back to normal.

14. lig13

lig13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I have read in the Toyota Hybrid Technical Training document (page 3-18), it states:

"If the vehicle will not be used for more than two weeks, disconnect the 12v battery to prevent it from discharging. Always make sure that all doors are properly closed and that the interior lights are OFF, especially overnight. These situations will quickly deplete the 12V battery."

With that said, the 12v aux battery is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) which is much more stable and far less prone to sulfation than standar wet cell batteries. In real world conditions, AGM batteries do fine for many months without losing much charge - however, I'm not sure about how much parasitic voltage drain occurs in a Prius as it is HEAVILY computerized and relies on a great deal of electronics.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd vote for trickle charger, over disconnecting the 12 volt. The latter can create hassles, all of which can be resolved, but hassles never the less. Things like the auto-up function of windows, for example, can get screwed up if you disconnect the 12 volt, effectively erasing the car's memory.

Maybe put a bit of rag under the wiper arms, to just lift the wipers of the glass?

Just recall: OP says too late to pick up a trickle charger (and maybe not practical, not garaged): 2~3 weeks is not that much, you should be ok.

16. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I searched this thread to see if I should disconnect the auxiliary battery on my 2007 Prius while on vacation. Most seemed to say to disconnect it. I looked at the battery but then decided to leave it (too complicated). Gone for six weeks and just left it sit. The car started up without difficulty after the six weeks. Main battery had very good charge as well. Glad I didn't attempt to disconnect it - absolutely no need in my case.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it all depends on the health of your battery, which is difficult to judge. i have been leaving mine for 5-6 weeks every winter since 2004, without issue.