1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vacation Ideas Between MI & VA

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by car compulsive, Jun 24, 2013.

1. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We're headed from southeast MI to Norfolk in July for the wedding of my fiancee's daughter. We're leaving on a Thursday, have a rehearsal dinner Friday evening, and wedding & reception Saturday afternoon. We don't have to be back in MI until Wednesday evening. Here are some ideas I came up with and want to hear other ideas:

- Smithsonian Air & Space Museum Annex at Dulles where the BIG stuff is (space shuttle, SR71, Enola Gay, etc.). This could be Friday.

- Battleship Wisconsin & naval museum in Norfolk, maybe Sunday.

- Williamsburg (she's been there and is meh about going again).

- Outer Banks / Kitty Hawk on Monday (fiancee's suggestion).

We're not into big crowds and cities. Other suggestions along the shore, in the mountains, or on the way home? TIA!

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    DC the Nations Capital. The White House tour (need reservations) etc. Dinner in Georgetown. Maybe 10-12 museums, pick the one you like. Great to walk around the park and see the monuments. Lincoln Memorial is amazing. It is one of those things you must do once in your lifetime.

We did a electric scooter tour on Penn Avenue. That was fun. Covered plenty of ground and got all the info but without the sweat.

Air and Space was my favorite but the Newseum was awesome. The Monuments was also fun.

List of Smithsonian museums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Newseum | Newseum Home

You mentioned your not into Big Crowds, then maybe parts of DC may not be the best idea. Although walking near the monuments outside is very wide open and not a lot of people. Some of the less popular museums were empty.

Sounds like a Fun Trip !

You can see from the Photo very open and not a lot of people.

image.jpg

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thomas Jefferson's home at Montecello.
    Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello
    You don't even need to be a real history buff to enjoy it.

George Washingtons home, not as interesting as Jeffersons but still worth a stop if you are into history

JMD likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the ideas... keep 'em coming. I bounced some off my future wife over dinner.

JMD likes this.
  6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on Monticello.

Kind of an old fashioned attraction but search for a mine or cavern tour in Virginia, West Virginia or western Maryland. The exhibition coal mine tour in Beckley W. Virginia is interesting.
    Always a cool break on a hot day.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A tip I just learned about the Smithsonian UVHazy extension at Dulles...if you get there at 4PM or basically late you can skip the $15 parking fee...small taters but us locals with small kids can use that tip to go often.

I luv Kitty Hawk but it is not a long stop unless you do some side activiites like hang gliding (simple sand dunes). Don't forget shore traffic and I95 in VA is nightmare with shore traffic on weekends in Summer.

If you have not been to DC or even if you have there are so many new monuments (MLK, etc) and attractions. A few disappointments of course Wash Monument closed for climbing due to earthquake, WWII memorial was out of operation due to unexpected water leaks (they said til Sept but I am not updated on it).

Suggest DC, Mt Vernon, Arlington Cem and Iwo Jima Memorial cut over to Dulles, then if you want go south to Monticello, get on Blue Ridge PKway north (if possible) take it to see Luray Caverns, and some other attractions there. Head north on I81 and over Rt 68 in MD and then take Rt 40 (National Highway) towards Pittsburgh, this will take you by Frank Lloyd Wrights FallingWater, Nemocolin Woodlands Resort, Ohio Pyle rafting, and Deep Creek lake, and Braddocks grave (he got killed in action on Rt 40 - they burried him right in the middle of the road hoping the native Amercians would never find him there to scalp him). You will go down a huge mountain where you will charge up your battery to all GREEN. Take PA Turnpike to Ohio and catch Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland. Go to Kennywood in Pittsburgh and ride some vintage wooden Roller coasters such as Jack Rabbit and the Racer. BTW if anyone mentions "Kennywoods Open" check your zipper...may be down:).

Attached Files:

8. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Skip the crowds. The Inn At Willow Grove

JMD likes this.
  9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I still believe that if you want to create a memory that will resonate for a lifetime perhaps one of the most beautiful parks I would visit the National Monuments in DC. Wide open not crowded and just a pleasant day. That's my opinion.

If you have been than don't bother. If you have not best to go. Not crowded and very historical and touching. Makes you proud to be an American.

The next day visit the Inn at Willow Grove or something similar.