1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Value question on 2012 Prius

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by satsuke, Nov 16, 2015.

1. satsuke

satsuke Junior Member

I was wondering the group's opinion on a Prius that has come up at a local dealer.

They're offering a 2012 with ~70,000 miles for $12,300 including the random dealer fees.

This would be for a "normal prius, trim level 3".

My current Prius is a 2006 with 250,000 miles that should get ~$1800-$2000 in trade. (My current car I drove since mile 6 ,. it still runs OK, though burns oil at 1Q per 1000 miles and has gotten noisey)

The newer one appears in good condition, though its been on the lot for some time (Cadillac dealer).

Any thoughts?

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Let's see, a 70k mile 2012 for 12,300-I'm assuming sales tax and registration fees are extra or a new 2015 Prius 2 for 18.5k plus taxes and registration, tough decision unless you can't pony up for a new one. If you are set on the 2012, I'd push the dealer for a lower price.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your final phrase, "It's been sitting on the lot for some time" would suggest to me that perhaps you could bargain them down in price.

It also gives me cause for a little concern because a Prius that sit's too long, might develop problems. Here's hoping it got test drives, or attention enough to keep the Hybrid Battery healthy. Does a Cadillac Dealers know enough about a Prius to know this?

I don't know what your budget may be, but now is a good time to get deals on outgoing Gen 3 Prius-new.- But they may still be out of your price range? Might not hurt to go look at some, as long as you are strong willed enough to say NO...once surrounded by salespeople.

This deal doesn't sound horrible. Probably OK, but neither does it strike me as "great". Given low gas prices, the fact that it's been sitting for a while, and it generally being a "buyers" market for Prius, I'd want a deal that I felt was great.

4. satsuke

satsuke Junior Member

In my local area, gas prices are certainly low, though the prices on used Prius seem to be fairly stable with used cars being higher than KBB listings would indicate.