1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valve for oil drain plug?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Scott Stefanoski, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Scott Stefanoski

Scott Stefanoski New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A friend of mine recommended getting a valve that can screw into the oil drain plug to make oil changes easier. Does anybody have a recommendation for one? Thanks for the help.

2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fumoto or EZDrain are two that come to mind. All such valves suffer from the same shortcoming: They can leak and/or be opened or broken by road derbies (in very rare cases). I see no reason to put in a value. A gloved hand and a 10 mm wrench works fine.

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It a good idea but I tried one and it was too long. I would be afraid if something hit the under cover and contacted the valve it would bend the pan or break. Decided not do use it.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use them on both cars (Fumoto) because my dealer would consistently overfill the crankcase on every oil change. It makes removing a little oil easy with minimal mess.

Now, I avoid having to remove oil by supplying only 4 quarts of oil for the Prius, and 5 quarts of oil for my V6 Camry to the dealer with instructions not to top off the oil, that I'll do it myself. In practice, I never top off the oil later because they always add an additive, molybdenum I believe, that adds volume.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Molybdenum is quite expensive to my understanding. That's very nice of them!!!

(Might be returning to HI next year! So excited!!!)

xliderider likes this.
  6. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    fumoto/
    never had a problem with ne of my cars in more than 12 years of using it/
    one of the first things I buy whenever I get a new car; makes oil changes sooooo easy.... (y)

[​IMG]