1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valve lash adjuster procedure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Richard, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Daniel Richard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Can someone please link the “valve lash adjuster procedure” to this post. I tried searching for it, but could not find it. Thanks!!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What procedure do you want exactly? 2010 Prius valve lash adjusts itself.

Are you thinking you have a bad adjuster? If so, you just replace it, but I don't know if I've ever heard of one going bad. If you have to replace it, you're looking for the valve train disassembly/reassembly procedure from the repair manual (more info).

3. Daniel Richard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It’s an inspection procedure on the lash adjusters.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s a cylinder head removal instruction lol. 3rd gen Prius has automatic, hydraulic adjustment, using oil pressure.

Coming from years of Hondas, I used to do the adjustment, but with 3rd gen Prius no adjustment is needed, or possible.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a procedure for testing the adjusters, involving immersing them in oil, and a skinny tool to poke the check ball. It's included in the cylinder head overhaul instructions. Presumably anybody who is looking for that procedure already has the valve train apart on a bench.