1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

valve lifters/valve clearance adjustment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by galaxee, Oct 22, 2007.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bleh, I was always in and out of the valve cover on my ol' Trooper
    making sure all the rocker clearances were right. But that head had
    crappy valves and seats by design...
    _H*

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hydraulic tappets were, I believe, originally introduced so that engines would go longer between lash adjustments. Also, they're lots quieter than solid cam followers.

They can be problematic, too, though. Not changing the crankcase oil as recommended can clog them, and they can also fail internally and collapse. They are also more prone to float, because they weigh more...and they, too, need periodic adjustment, to keep them within their range of operation.

[laughing] I used to adjust the solid lifters in the 289 powering a '65 Mustang; I still have this weird feeler gauge and a set of these little clips that would divert the oil flow spurting out of the tops of the pushrods!

The engine in my '73 Pinto (the German 2000cc unit) is single overhead cam with solid cam followers, for example...

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    General Motors Holden had hydraulic lifters in the Camira engine which were in the head and the rockers pivoted on them at one end, the valve at the other and the cam ove the top. Mitsubishi had miniture hydraulic lifters in the end of the rockers on the 2.6 litre SOHC 4 cylinder in the early Magnas.

The inverted bucket cam followers on my Camry never gave me any grief, 277,000 kilometres and never needed adjusting. Low mass cam followers are good in the Prius because the low mass combined with the low engine speed mean the valve springs don't need to be as hard so there is less friction between the cam lobe and the follower (read less fuel consumption). Inverted bucket followers also prevent side loads on the valve stems reducing wear and reducing valve stem seal leaks, lowering emissions.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 27 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]531029[/snapback]</div>
    Mid 80s Mazdas needed tappet adjustments about every year. It's just different engine designs need different maintenance. Not every car is a Toyota.

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 27 2007, 06:07 AM) [snapback]531145[/snapback]</div>
    Not denying that. I was just surprised to learn that the Prius' engine has solid tappets (and more to the point, adjustment is a PITA or a major league PITA).

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    few comments:

-thankfully, we have come a long way in engine design technology as the years have gone by.

-checking the clearances isn't so bad itself if you've got the right tool, provided you don't mind some major engine compartment disassembly and of course, replacing the vcg. still a waste of time and money if you're not going to be in there for something else anyway, since toyota engines are built to not need adjustments. yes, one does need to turn the crank to check all 16 clearances.

-all current toyota engines, plus all the ones DH has been in (ranging from an 87 camry to very recent years), have bucket lifters- not just the prius. as i said, he's never adjusted valve clearance unless he was doing a total rebuild. toyota engines were built to not f themselves up. no need to over-maintain them... if you've got enough spare cash to do that, donate it to a real charity, not the shop's pocketbook.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 26 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]530790[/snapback]</div>
    Being an LSx fan I would have to agree here. In most cases the hydraulics work just fine under 6k rpm. With a new cam, pushrods and proper re-clearancing they will rev over 6,500rpm with little problem. Some of the guys trying to for big N/A power and 7k rpm will often switch to solid roller. These seem to require more maintanence and are noisier. My 5.3L truck engine was set to shift at 6,300rpm and I would cross the beams at 6,500rpm. That being said, there are better ways to skin a cat out there. :) I just watched a PSCA video with Justin Humphrey's 2JZ powered Lexus run 7.0@199mph!

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad I found this message.

My valve train has become somewhat noisier (one or two sound on the gappier end), though this is more noticable when the oil is not up to temp. I was thinking the adjustment was trivial and planned on having it checked soon. However now reading this, I'll live with it until performance becomes an issue.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another important thing to keep in mind is that the modern low friction OHC valve designs are almost universal. If not OHC then roller lifter with pushrods.

For emissions control the API oils rated Sl and especially SM have really cut down on an important antiwear additive that was *cruicial* to prevent early camshaft lobe wear running flat tappet lifters: ZDDP

In many cases, the antiwear additive package ZDDP is 1/2 to 1/3 the level it was when oils were rated SE and SF. For a modern motor, this shouldn't have any impact, or at most a very minor impact, on component life

Those who have older vehicles, especially an antique hotrod with fairly high valve spring pressure on flat tappet camshafts, can expect very severe camshaft lobe wear. You will have to use an oil with high levels of ZDDP. Most HD diesel oils such as 15W-40 still contain high ZDDP additives, so they will work fine in an older car

The Europeans tend to require high ZDDP levels especially for highly rated ACEA A3/B3, B4 rated oils. As an example, Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula has around 50% more ZDDP than Mobil 1 5W-30.

The reason ZDDP was removed has to do with the catalytic converter. It is thought that over the extended warranty of the typical catalytic converter in the US - up to 10 years - that the phosphorous deposits might impair the catalyst

The jury is still undecided on that one. MB, BMW, etc have to meet the same extended emissions warranty in the USA, and they still require an ACEA spec motor oil with high ZDDP levels

Perhaps cost has a lot to do with it. ZDDP is a proven antiwear additive, but does add slightly to the cost of the oil

On the topic of valve adjustments: a coworker with a 2002 Honda CR-V reports that regular valve adjustments are needed or a valve may burn. They tighten in use. Fortunately the adjustment procedure is fairly easy and even a dealer will charge under $120 to do so

Otherwise I have never fiddled with valve adjustment. The 1984 Ford with 302 V8 at my hobby farm has around 527,000 km on it and I have never touched the valve adjustment. No noise and it works fine, but it was also very well maintained and run on HD diesel motor oil the entire life

A hint on those vintage Ford V8's: valve adjustment is typically performed by changing pushrods. The pushrods are in many different lengths, and it's tricky to keep track of the lengths. If for any reason you have to take the heads off, you MUST properly sort the pushrods! Same as the hydraulic valve lifters if you want things to be as worry free as possible

If you treat it like a Chevy and just throw all the pushrods into a box, be prepared for some grief when you finally get the motor assembled and running

10. scotturnot

scotturnot New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does anyone here know what all thicknesses these lifter (buckets) come in?

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From the 2005 repair manual:

"The lifters are available in 35 sizes in increments of 0.020 mm (0.0008 in.), from 5.060 mm (0.1992 in.) to 5.740 mm (0.2260 in.)"

12. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My old Taurus SHO (a 1990 model) uses the shim and bucket setup. I check them at every 60k tuneup but I have never had to replace any (I'm at 260k). It's too bad Ford did not get Yamaha to design the rest of the car.....

13. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BULLET proof the bottom end, shot peen the rods, port and polish the heads, dual springs, roller cam with rockers, redline at 11-12K, NOS to boot.

my prius dreams this at night.............

14. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    My 2005 has 120000 on it and has a couple of valves clicking especially when cold. Most engines I have dealt with tend to tighten the valve clearance with age. The valve seat area is the most likely to wear resulting in the valve sitting deeper into the head and that makes the valve stem stick up further. But every engine series and each engine's wear can be a littler different. Generally a valve that is clicking has GREATER clearance which is generally not a big deal. Tighter clearance is a much bigger issue. If the clearance goes away entirely a burned valve is the result. That is a bigger PITA than a valve adjustment. CHECKING the clearance is not as big an issue as actually having to adjust the valves so I am thinking a looky see is on my next couple of months to-do list. For greater context I use my Prius on a mail route in Wisconsin and it is hard use, constant braking and acceleration to go 60 miles in 4 hours. With lots of that time off on the gravel and dirt shoulders. So far my used Prius is holding up well. I have replaced the rear brakes once and it appears that will be a 25,000 mile item. Front pads were just done so I am hoping for about 50,000 miles out of those.

15. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    gggGary, this is off-topic for the thread, you are replacing rear brake shoes at 25K intervals and not the fronts. To me this suggests that the rears are dragging and the self-adjusters are not working right. It should be pretty easy to find out whether this is a correct prediction.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread will now officially be moot for the 2010 Prius. The 2010 Prius will come equipped w/ hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs), eliminating the need for this procedure.

Let's hope they don't clog easily and collapse though.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH: oh, they did NOT put hydraulic adjusters in. NO. oh, well...

1 person likes this.
  19. Catonsville Bill

Catonsville Bill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RE: '07 recommended maint. book. I asked two service advisors at different dealers about the "engine valve inspect" line in the 60K recommended list and both were unfamiliar with it. Is our conclusion to "let it ride" (there is no typical valve lash noise) given the complexity of this adjustment?
    thanks for your thoughts.

20. Catonsville Bill

Catonsville Bill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Often forgotten - check clearances . . . jiggle the rods after you snug up the "big end" caps.