1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valve Stem Caps w/ Nitrogen Label

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bxzcd, Mar 5, 2011.

1. hamil33

hamil33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder what NASCAR people think about this nitrogen bashing???

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who's bashing N2, 78% of what I breathe is N2? I love the stuff.

Most of us are poking fun at the N2 con game played on car owners.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    NASCAR stock cars are not stock cars, they are race cars that look a little like stock cars. To them 1/2 lb in tire pressure makes a difference and N2 is dry and expands at a more predictable rate when it gets warmer. Plus they have N2 handy anyway because the run their power tools with it.

For people like us who are driving cars on the street it simply doesn't make any difference if we use N2 or compressed air in our tires.

I imagine if you could poll NASCAR drivers and mechanics you might find they use compressed air in their street cars too.

4. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We have a nitrogen generator at work and when it is working we make nitrogen to fill our cylinders. It extracts the nitrogen from the air via a specialized membrane, then thru three stage compression it will supply around 4500 psi 99.9% pure compressed nitrogen. The nitrogen generation unit has two large high pressure tanks mounted in the chassis that will remain pressurized for a while after running the unit. I thought of purchasing a regulator and then filling one of my unused dive tanks to have a nitrogen source at home for filling tires.
    http://www.pci-intl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=115

5. hamil33

hamil33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure that NASCAR only uses nitrogen because they get it at a special rate. I'm sure it could not be because they tend to know more about those things than most of us. You think?

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tire pressure is critical for race cars and N2 is dry so it tends to expand less and more predictably than compressed air. This is very important when tire pressures of 1/2 psi or less make a difference.

I am sure the engineers and mechanics on professional racing teams know a whole lot more about those things than I do.

7. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Regarding the valve stem caps: be sure the threads on the inside of the caps are plastic and not metal. I've seen waaaaay too many aftermarket valve stem caps with metal threads corrode onto the valve stems themselves through galvanic interaction. When you go to remove the caps, the valve stem breaks off and the sensor requires replacement.