1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

valve stem caps

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by megaoptimus, Nov 16, 2012.

1. megaoptimus

megaoptimus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I was poking around the intertubes recently and came across a post from some one who installed some neat stem caps. Apparently, they were "self closing or sealing" and they stuck out a bit more than the normal plastic caps. I know they were metal. I didn't look into it much further but now I'd like to know more and can't find the post.

I'm pretty sure it was some on on these forums since the topic was tire pressure and somebody was wondering if there was a more convenient way of pumping up the tires instead of having to deal with the stock plastic caps.

I swear I'm not crazy.

2. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Is this the one you talking about?

[​IMG]

3. megaoptimus

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, that's it! What's it called?

4. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  5. megaoptimus

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Nice, thanks. they work well, don't stick out too far? Would be real nice in winter or just to save time inflating over the life of the car.

6. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They are pretty flush with my Prius C 2 hub caps. I put a straight edge on the hub caps, and the valve cap doesn't touch the ruler:

[​IMG]

I'd like them to be recessed a bit. But the convenience of being able to check tire pressure easily on the fly just did it for me.

I installed these same caps on my wife's V, but they stick out more. and I didn't want my wife possibly breaking the stems in case she ran into the curb while parking, so I remove them.

7. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

In the link you provided they're used for tractor trailer or off road vehicles, not cars. Is it heavy? Heavy and long will make the wheels spinning off balance at high speed?

8. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Be sure to have a tire shop re-balance you wheels after you put on metal caps. Best time is when they are doing a tire rotation and have to remove the wheels anyway.

9. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    nope. wheels spin just fine. The website description does not exclude cars.

Read the description again:

Eliminate threading and unthreading your valve caps with the Alligator Double Seal Valve Cap. Inflate, deflate, and gauge tire pressure directly through the Alligator. Designed for high pressure truck tire service, the Alligator seals like a high-pressure/temperature cap, yet offers the convenience of an inflate-through design. It is estimated that it takes 20 minutes to check the air pressure on the tires of a tractor trailer when each cap is removed and replaced. Because the Alligator permits gauging, inflating, and deflating without removal, it pays for itself the first time its used. While the Alligator was designed for use on tractor trailers, it is equally applicable to fourwheelers, who air down and air up with every trail run. Beware of imitations. This is the real Alligator Rückschlag-Ventilkappen made in Germany. Sold individually.

And after using them in my C, I'd add "equally applicable to Prius owners that want to constantly check tire pressure without the inconvenient hard-to-undo plastic valve caps."

WE0H likes this.
  10. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the tip, just bought them off ebay.