1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valvoline Restore & Protect 0w20

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AzusaPrius, Sep 25, 2024 at 10:08 PM.

1. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got a great deal on this so placed my order and it was delivered today.

Want to use this on my next oil change but have another brand still that I may use that is 0w16 since it will be getting cold.

Anyway if this does what it claims then I will stick to this new oil and switch the wifes oil to it also.

I read the reviews and they all are positive. 20240925_184238.jpeg 20240925_184248.jpeg

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah liquid oil is going to restore and protect your engine yadda yadda does that even sound feasible this generally snake oil business Don't know the model or anything you have but you're running the zero so it's a generation 3 so if you're an extreme cold 016 may be appropriate If not the 020 is what you should be using and if it's extremely hot I'm not sure I haven't really looked at the chart for that car whatever it is you won't probably be doing it for a real long time You've got other things fixing to come down the pipeline that engine oil is not going to protect and restore from what's coming Just read forward and you'll hear all about it.

3. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are over 400 reviews with positive remarks and even pictures of them opening their engines and showing how clean it is.

To each their own though...you can use any oil you want, Im not saying go and get it.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So you’re saying what, you bought some oil? That’s good. It’s a cool looking bottle for sure.

5. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its a new oil they created that helps clean the engine to like new condition.

Hence the name restore and protect.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't work. You can get it at walfart.
    I've done 5, or 6 oil changes with it and still burning oil. "IF" it worked, oil consumption
    should have gone down.
    It's a "hopefull" wish to try to extend the life of my engine.

You can try it, it's only $5 more then regular synthetic oil. Another reason why I tried it,
    I figured it was worth few dollars to give it a try.

My engine was like new when I replaced the head gasket so there wasn't really anything to clean.
    Except the oil rings.....

I've contacted valvoline, but no reponse yet....

7. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well you are just one bad review versus over 400 online.

Maybe it cleaned your engine but your pistons and rings are no good.

Time to get new ones for sure.

I will take the words of over 400 reviews saying it works over your one bad review.

I dont think Valvoline is just bluffing.