1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vancouver Auto Show Hilights.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frank Hudon, Apr 7, 2005.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No problem :)

One of the interesting things about the rest of the hybrids coming out is that Toyota (and Lexus) seem to be going to great pains to "hide the hybrid"... And I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Look inside the Highlander for instance, and there's no display screen showing milage, etc. The shifter looks very conventional, etc. If it didn't say "hybrid" on it, you'd never know.

Neither the Highlander or the Lexus appeared to have the smart entry/smart start system. They still used conventional ignition keys.

Odd... The Toyota rep I talked to said that it was because they didn't want to make the price of the vehicles any higher, but I wonder if that's entirely the case, or if they're worried that the presumably "upscale" (read: old) folks that they'll be marketing towards might be intimidated if there are too many bells and whistles.

Dave

2. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

Probably right about the old folks thing. Too bad. The technology was one of the big factors (along with good fuel consumption, low emissions, quality, and good reviews) that drew me to the Prius.

I am having a ball with the toys and the smooth operation. Of course I am a retired pilot, but . . .

Oh yeah, I'm not one of the old folks yet -- just 72 on my last birthday.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you noticed the key system also. I thought it was interesting as well, but didn't ask any of the walkies. Most of them don't even know the time of day or how the hybrid system works.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I heard the Highlander Hybrid will have that display when equipped with the navigation system (which sorta defeats the purpose since there are people who won't fork out the extra $3,000 or so for it but still want to know how they're doing). On the other hand, the other Lexuses do have the screen (see my picture on the GS300).

Also, about the high tech toys, I'm sure there are quite a few people in that "old folks" category who get along just fine with the Prius (especially with navigation systems). Besides, the SKS isn't that hard to learn.

About the price, well you're already paying a premium for an SUV (when an awd Subaru/Volvo/BMW/Audi will do just the same). Hmm, Toyota is really in a dilemma. There's a price premium on a hybrid system but they have to add features to make it attractive but adding stuff = higher price. Hmm

5. Frank Hudon

well at 57 years old the SKS isn't that hard to learn after all we showed the salesman how it worked. And he was at least 25 years younger than we were. There are also people who will probably only buy a Toyota, price premium or not. Also in Tidelands list there isn't a hybrid available. SKS only with the NavPak, hmmm "dropped the ball" comes to mind.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. Although my experience was the opposite. The kind old man at Lexus was explaining the GS to me and was explain the SKS.

"It has a key that you leave in your pocket..."
    "You mean like this?" <shows him my Prius fob clipped to my pants>
    "Umm, yeah"

:D

What do you mean SKS with the NavPak?

7. Frank Hudon

I was under the impression that the SKS was only available with the Nav Pak option, I might have been wrong but that's what I got from the information on the LX400H. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh...

well under Ultra Premium Package on the site, it lists the nav, Mark Levinson audio and rear entertainment system.

9. Frank Hudon

hmmmm I quess my meds aren't working. That's wierd as I just got new glasses as well. Opps.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, at least we're unique for now. In that case, there will still be appeal for the Prius. I wonder if that's the reason why we don't get the Avalon Limited with the SKS

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very nice pictures. I enjoyed the Ford pictures. It has a tach, that must be fun. Little tiny MFD though. I could not make it, had to work. Saving lives and stamping out disease. Actually sitting on my posterior most of the weekend, delivered 2 and took 2 phone calls, totally quiet weekend. Nature of the job lot of sitting around interspersed with moments of sheer terror, or joy.

12. Frank Hudon

Sorry Henry, it was worth the admission just to see the Prius display.

13. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"80351)</div>
    I was shocked to see the owner of the company I work for in his new Solara, full load, no SKS, every other conciveable option including Nav.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! It's $3,000 for the Nav! At least ours include BT. The new Solara SLE V6 is nice though.

15. Frank Hudon

the leather package just blew me away. That is a really sweet car.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the wood trim though. It's much better than our Camry XLE's. The best thing? It runs on regular and 225hp on a 3.3 litre isn't something to laugh about especially when my friend is running on premium (recommended) on his 2.4 litre and as you can suspect, is complaining.

It's a shame I don't see many on the road. It's a good car - stylish for a Toyota. But then again, I don't see many 2005 Accord Coupes either.