1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vancouver (BC) is doing its part for the Planet

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by davecook89t, Apr 9, 2019.

1. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Why Vancouver is still getting utterly hosed on gas prices | Vancouver Sun

As a former Vancouverite, and one who still considers that area my true home, I am sympathetic (even if I don't quite feel your pain @Mendel Leisk). Whether it is by circumstance, or planned that way, the high gas prices definitely have to improve the adoption rate of electric cars in that part of the world. To their credit, even with the highest gas prices in North America, many Vancouverites still oppose expansion of the Trans Mountain Pipeline, which would probably lower the price they are paying.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's wonderful. i wish we were all getting so hosed.:)

davecook89t likes this.
  3. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Another hoser, eh?

bisco likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @davecook89t we're only putting in 20~25 liters monthly, driving less and less. Think of a drum solo that keeps getting slower, and slower...

(Shakes head) Anyway, under $30 a month on gas. I don't even look at the price.

I wouldn't mind a few more pipelines. It seems impossible to have anything built now. Someone will make a proposal, and then everyone comes out of the woodwork, and it's like a drum solo the keeps....

davecook89t likes this.
  5. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I hope that doesn't mean you are just not going out anymore. We still need to live our lives, just need to run as many errands as possible with each trip.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We have a fair number of amenities within walking distance. Significant grocery shopping with the car once or twice weekly. Occasional grand kid duties. Across town once in a while.

We used to take the car for downtown concerts/events, but the parking and the aggravation: lately we've been taking the SkyTrain. It is definitely not as luxurious, and takes longer, but meh.

My wife has a trap line of friends she visits, takes out shopping. Once in a long while we go up the coast or over to Van Island via ferry.

Still, even trying hard, about 6K miles (whoops) kilometers a year.

davecook89t and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's weird that we don't have final 2018 EV sales and it's April 2019 but nevertheless, as of Q3 of 2018, EV sales were 8% of the total market in Canada with 97% of those concentrated in 3 provinces.

Comparing just Q3 sales, Ontario had 8.2% EV sales percentage, Quebec had 9.8% and BC had 15.4%

Electric vehicles sales update Q3 2018, Canada
    34,357 Canadian EV Sales For 2018 As Of Q3 End | CleanTechnica

A Toyota representative once told me that half of all RAV4 Hybrid sales were in BC. (Despite the fact that Ontario is the most populous province.... I guess they do more highway driving so the highway mpg number is more relatable and thus hybrids have a smaller difference?)

davecook89t likes this.