1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vandalized Chargepoint works with Tesla, not Prime.

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Biigdaddio, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Biigdaddio

Biigdaddio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm probably just whining but just in case there is a genius out there with a fix to the problem...

My son just moved to a condo and there is a Chargepoint station a block away. It has been vandalized -- the clip at the top is broken off so the charger does not know that it is connected to the car and does not charge. However, Tesla and Bolt owners charge there all the time. I think the e.g. Tesla internal locking mechanism satisfies the station that everything is good to go.

Apparently there has been a long cycle of vandalism and fixing and re-vandalizing so that the owner has given up fixing it. I'm guessing some a-hole Tesla owner who lives near or works in that shopping center does it to monopolize the plug. (I'm also a Tesla owner, so I'm not saying they are all a-holes, just the ones who would do something like this.)

I keep wondering if there is any way to "trick" the Chargepoint station into thinking the charger is locked when it is not. Is such a thing possible?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the clip is just so you won't pull the plug while power is on. when you push down with your thumb, it acivates a microswitch inside, along with releasing the clip.

idk wht tesla does to accomplish that, i thought all evse's worked the same

3. PianoBench

PianoBench Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Next time I'm at a chargepoint I'll take a photo. Bisco is spot on about that clip.

You have to pull the clip up in a way to mimic it going over the locking clip in your vehicles charge port.

When you unplug, you push down on the clip to mimic releasing that same clip. Then the chargeport knows to disconnect power before you unplug.

Dumb design for the clips to snap off so easily.