1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vanity light in mirror out, dealer says need new sunvisor???

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lester williams, Jan 7, 2015.

1. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As stated, the light inside G/F's 2012 ''v'' sunvisor mirror has quit. She took it to the local dealer this morning for an oil change, and asked them to replace the lamp in the visor mirror also. They then told her the whole visor would need to be replaced--- sounds silly to me. I have not looked at it, so don't know how to take this....

IF it actually does really have to be replaced totally [ silly B.S. ] anybody know how difficult this would be,, and where to find one without the dealer rip-off?? I find it hard to believe that the bulb cannot just be replaced--- or possibly something came loose.........???????

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it out of warranty? i have never had to replace anything but a tail light. and not the one where the whole assembly has to be replaced. i hope it isn't like that. if it is, i might look for salvage or ebay. how much did they want?i'm sure someone will chime in. i'm curious as to cost, sounds expensive. doesn't the o/m have lamp replacement specs?

3. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, out of warranty, 58,000 miles and was 3 yo in Oct. She was so surprised she did not get a price-- they said they would have to order it. She texted me about this--- here I am asking for advice.

4. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try to DIY the lamp replacement to confirm that they're not trying to rip you off. It's unlikely that it needs a new visor. But it's possible that some wiring may have been pinched or failed. If it's confirmed to be a bad light, I'd try to find a new visor on eBay or at the salvage yard before buying new from the dealer. I'll bet that would be a small fortune if Toyota sold it to you.

UPDATE: Going for $30-40 on eBay used.

#4 Yakoma, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought mine was out too until I realized they only turn on when your headlights are on...or when it senses it's night time :).

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The visor has the mirror and a mirror cover actuated switch. The light is in the headliner. So the visor switch may be bad. Mine works regardless of headlights or car on state. Driver has the same setup but the switch "might" be inaccessible due to the visor fabric or might not be available separately.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point, if that's the case, they should have told her. maybe they did, who knows.

8. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK,,internet been out due to road crew cutting my service line...... I looked at my 2014 Prius and the lamp is separate above the visor, not inside mirror as I had thought. The lamp is activated by sliding the mirror cover on visor over to expose mirror, switch has to be inside the visor. So,, she has a bad lamp or a bad switch. The light cover on mine appears to be sealed--- did not overly examine it as I was driving at the time. She did call back to dealer for pricing and was told , ''$150--$200 for repair. We are getting married in April and will either get her a hybrid Avalon, or wait and get a Gen 4 Prius--- let them worry about it..I will provide her with a flashlight in the meantime, in case she gets in a bind;)

E.T.A.-----Thanks for the tips and advice though, I will attempt this week-end to see if I can replace the lamp, although, mine appears ''sealed''.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the update lester, all the best in your upcoming marriage!(y)

10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Move the visor around, mine only works if the visor is vertical, close it and it goes out, push it to the screen and it goes out.

11. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The bulb is replaceable. Part number is 90981-11062 MSRP $3.30 Or, if you can find it, the Osram Sylvania part number 175.

Avi

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any tips on how the plastic lens is attached to the light? Mine ''seems'' to be a sealed unit, I don't want to break it getting it off. Initially, I thought it had spring clips holding it to the roof liner--- but--- it almost does not have any give when pulling/prying on it.