1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vapor canister needs to be replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wanderlustenrose, Mar 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wanderlustenrose

wanderlustenrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2008 Prius with approx 126k miles on it. Bought it used about 1.5 years ago.

Had an oil change at Firestone yesterday although I've been told this couldn't have caused this issue. This morning the check engine light came on. Checked the gas cap which seemed fine. I googled the problem and some of the things I read said if it was the gas cap problem and I had tightened it then the light would turn off after 3 cycles so I went ahead and drove it around locally for a total of 15 miles or so. I also read something online about someone who went to the gas station and filled up their tank and the light went off so I thought I'd try it. I had filled up the tank completely yesterday after my oil change but had driven about 60 miles so my fuel gauge was down one bar already. I went and filled up the tank to the point where the pump clicked. I didn't put in any more after the click and never have before. On my way home, I noticed that the gauge was not reading correcting - it stayed at 9 bars instead of increasing to 10 after I topped off the gas. Thus, at the advice of my brother, I took my car to Autozone to have them scan it. These are the following error codes it gave me:

P2401, P043E, P043F, P2402, P2419,

Autozone says the vapor canister has to be replaced and these are the two parts I need, both of which are found on their site:
    Duralast Vapor Canister part VC4090 for $334.99
    Duralast Vapor Canister part VC4398 for $195.99
    [Apologies, I am so new to the forum I can't link yet.]

I suspect I could find these parts cheaper elsewhere from different brands but I'm unsure of how to go about finding them. The parts numbers Autozone provided are obviously specific to the particular brand they sell. Where can I find these parts online?

I also want to ask what the consequences would be of continuing to drive this car in this condition. Thoughts? Does anyone have any similar experiences or any wisdom to impart on me? Autozone told me that if I continued to drive it, it would basically eventually stop going and this could happen as soon as in a week or the car could last another month or so before it happens.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The DTC you listed are not valid Prius DTC.
    2. Get Mini VCI so you can be self-sufficient with regards to retrieving the DTC.
    3. If the only problem your car has is an emissions control problem with a vapor canister, you can continue to drive it indefinitely without any consequence besides polluting the air more than necessary. However, at this time, without valid DTC, it is unclear what is the problem with your car's engine.
    4. parts.com is a good source to obtain the correct Toyota parts, once you get to the point where you have decided what is wrong and what needs to be replaced.
    5. Did you check the engine oil level?

m.wynn likes this.
  3. wanderlustenrose

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What would a valid DTC look like? The guy at Autozone told me these were dealer codes if I'm quoting him correctly.

Just checked the oil level and that's fine. All topped off.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius DTC which relate to evaporative emissions control would include:

P0441, P0442, P0446
    P0451, P0452, P0453, P0455, P0456

Those codes happen to be industry standard, not specific to Toyota or the Prius model. However the Prius does have many model-specific DTC which primarily relate to unique systems like the hybrid drivetrain, traction battery, braking system, power steering, air conditioning etc.

m.wynn likes this.
  5. wanderlustenrose

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your help!
    As it's getting late on Sunday and there's not much I can do about the codes at the moment, this is what Autozone provided me:

ASE Certified Master Technicians have seen this issue on your type of vehicle and the most likely solution is: Replace Evaporative Emissions Canister
    Definition: Code P2401 indicates that with the engine running above a specified RPM the PCM detected an unexpected low voltage on the evaporative emission system leak detection pump control circuit.

Error Codes Read
    P2401 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low
    P043E - Evaporative Emission System Reference Orifice Clog Up
    P043F - Evaporative Emission System Reference Orifice High Flow
    P2402 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High
    P2419 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit Low

Can you make sense of any of that?

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those are all listed in my Gen 2 repair manual. I take some photos and put them on here for you in a few minutes

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    here ya go....

Attached Files:

8. wanderlustenrose

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you!! Much appreciated!

9. wanderlustenrose

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With this additional information, does this help anyone advise me on whether or not I should or shouldn't continue to drive my car?

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would have no problem driving it. Its merely the vapor canister. Just a part of emissions control system for minimizing any fuel fumes from going into the air

Showing results for what is a vapor canister
    Search instead for what is a vapor canister

Search Results

A charcoal canister, also known as a vapor canister, is the part of a car's evaporation control system that is designed to prevent the release of volatile organic compounds that escape from a car's fuel system and engine.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It may even unstick itself as you're driving Go hit some railroad tracks. :)

Danny3xd likes this.
  12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IMHO, this is one of the best manuals available for the Gen 2 Prius. I consider it to be my Prius bible.. IMG_8548[1].JPG

13. wanderlustenrose

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That makes me feel better. Would this problem also affect the gas gauge not reading properly?

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  15. wanderlustenrose

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just out of curiosity did you really think some bumps would possibly unstick the problem? Because the check engine light went off yesterday! Which I and my bank account are thrilled about but I'm also hoping it doesn't pop back up in a few days,

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gas cap.

The problem cleared and the codes cleared after a certain number of start cycles.
    Since this is a G2 and you're reporting gas gauge irregularities, then I might be wrong about the gas cap and the problem may come back.

If the problem recurs make sure that you keep tabs on your fuel state with your odometer.
    Code readers are about $20, which is well worth not having to go to the Zone 2-3 more times.

Good Luck!

17. 05priusDad

05priusDad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Has anybody ever replaced the vapor canister? I'm stuck halfway through the job. The old canister is rusted onto the posts above the fuel tank. I can't seem to bust anything loose without the risk of snapping off the tabs that are meant to receive the new canister. I've actually cut outlaw but the tabs on the old plastic canister and am trying to figure out how to get the rest out so I can put the new unit it.

Any experience or insight would be appraaciated

kenoarto likes this.
  18. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The obvious thing to me about the gas gauge is that there is probably nothing wrong with it. You drove 60 miles to get it down one bar. Unless you only got 20 mpg you did not put in the 3 gallons required to make the gas gauge recognize the additional fuel. That's why it remained at 9 bars when you filled it.