1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle added mysteriously to Owner's smartphone app

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by schja01, Jun 30, 2018.

1. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has this ever happened to you?

We were in my Toyota dealership on an unrelated mission when my wife wanted to look at the 2018 Rav 4.
    Nothing unusual until we got home and I logged into owners.toyota.com and under "My Vehicles" I see the 2018 Rav 4. I scratched my head as to how that got added and remembered I did have the Toyota Owners App on my iPhone. Running the VIN through the Toyota Owners "Vehicle Specs" it shows the car as being inspected back in March by my dealer.

My guess is Toyota is using some sort of "beacon" technology?

My dealer would have no knowledge that I have the app installed or my account name etc.

Is this something new? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
    J

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I spend quite a bit of time at the dealership (many old friends there) and have never had that happen to me. Sure you or her didn't accidentally add the vehicle?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've noticed on the (very few) occasions when I have visited my local Verizon store, my SmartPhone started to go through all sorts of shenanigans to "Welcome" me to Verizon etc. etc. blah blah blah! …so I've learned to keep the bloody thing turned off when I go there! Shades of "Minority Report" (anyone else remember that dog-crap of a movie (Tom "TheTeeth" Cruise) from 2002?

Here's a note (from wiki) Steven Spielbeg (director of "Minority Report"):

Spielberg described his ideas for the film's technology to Roger Ebert before the movie's release:

I wanted all the toys to come true someday. I want there to be a transportation system that doesn't emit toxins into the atmosphere. And the newspaper that updates itself...

The Internet is watching us now. If they want to. They can see what sites you visit. In the future, television will be watching us, and customizing itself to what it knows about us. The thrilling thing is, that will make us feel we're part of the medium. The scary thing is, we'll lose our right to privacy. An ad will appear in the air around us, talking directly to us

(…see also for early product placement (Lexus), and that was 16 years ago!!!!)

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Forgive the potential thread-jacking... Bluetooth beacon hacking is a topic of interest to me. Anyone have good links?

Few things give me more joy than corrupting sales & marketing data sources.

Dudley1030 likes this.
  5. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No. We did not have access to the VIN etc. to add it ourself. When I ran the VIN of the mysteriously added vehicle through the Toyota VIN checker is was associated with our dealer with one service record namely a pre delivery inspection in March.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had to go into various apps and turn off Notifications, and whatever other privacy invaders I can find. Minimize the non-essential data flow, both ways.

WilDavis likes this.
  7. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Beacon seems the most likely explanation, although that seems like pretty intrusive marketing. Getting a pop up notification is one thing, but actually adding a car to your "My Vehicles" seems a bit overboard. Also I wonder how they selected RAV4, if if you happened to stop and look at the window sticker of an Avalon would it add an Avalon to your vehicles? Maybe it detected that you spent a certain amount of time in the vicinity of the RAV4, like would be the case if you got inside of it and sat in it for a few minutes.

Next time you are at the dealer you could mention it to them. The person that you talk to may not know anything about it, but you could ask them if they can find out, tell them you are just curious. Who knows you might get an answer.

8. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In case anyone cares ...
    I really wanted to test drive a RAV 4 (actually my wife did) and my sales guy suggested getting a RAV 4 loaner next time I brought my current car in for service. That way we could have a few hours instead of a short test drive. That worked great. I made note of the loaner's VIN and after getting home after returning the loaner I found that one too had been added to the "My Vehicle" in my toyota.com account.
    I asked my sales guy if he knew what was happening. He did not have any idea.
    It must be something the dealer is playing with Bluetooth Beacons not only with cars in the showroom but loaners as well.
    Just and FYI.
    J

Since2002 likes this.
  9. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe when it was serviced they inadvertently added the VIN to your name on the service record instead of the correct person?? Maybe it happened to be the same day you were there and they had the computer open to your record and the tech forgot to go to another account?? Still not sure that would automatically add it to the app. Sounds very strange. Where's Rod Serling when you need him?

Since2002 likes this.
  10. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For your consideration - a seemingly ordinary day in an ordinary town in Illinois, where a man who we will simply call "Mr. J" is making what seems to be a routine visit to his local car dealer. However unknown to Mr. J is that his every movement will be observed with keen interest by an unseen force with unimaginable control over space, time, and phone apps. For you see Mr. J is about to enter into - The Toyota Zone

11. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Now that cracks me up!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: