1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle mystery 05 Prius electrical issue.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JIM777, Aug 13, 2018.

1. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Got an 05 Prius was told it was parked in the garage a year ago and ran fine at the time.
    Apparently someone had tried to jump start it got the polarity reversed. Found the integrated fusible Link in the fuse box under the hood was blown. Repaired and checked all other fuses inside and out all are good. Replaced HV and 12 volt battery with known good batteries. Car will not read any codes when not running. Now when car is running it points to bad number 9 module po3019. But before when it would let me monitor the battery that sell looks fine. When you turn the the car to on position the HV cooling fan comes on high. Not sure how it might be linked but the dome lights never work and the power locks only have power when the car is running. Car will start and ready with triangle lit. see pictures.
    Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Got an 05 Prius was told it was parked in the garage a year ago and ran fine at the time.
    Apparently someone had tried to jump start it got the polarity reversed. Found the integrated fusible Link in the fuse box under the hood was blown. Repaired and checked all other fuses inside and out all are good. Replaced HV and 12 volt battery with known good batteries. Car will not read any codes when not running. Now when car is running it points to bad number 9 module po3019. But before when it would let me monitor the battery that sell looks fine. When you turn the the car to on position the HV cooling fan comes on high. Not sure how it might be linked but the dome lights never work and the power locks only have power when the car is running. Car will start and ready with triangle lit. see pictures.
    Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciate it.

3. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

4. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's the attached pictures

Attached Files:

5. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here are the attached photos.

6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does it start from the 12v battery, or do you have to jump it to start?

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds pretty straight forward as to the problem.
    Block 9 bad.
    Yoi would have wanted to first click on the blue asteisk next to the code to see what the freeze frame data looked like at the time of the error/event.

Then clear the codes.

Rerun health check.

Then look at the live data. Paying very close attention to voltage of block 9. Charge the hybrid battery (by "power-braking). Discharge hybrid battery (using reverse). All while watching block voltages. Noticing block 9.

strawbrad likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how are you testing the hybrid battery? it is probably bad. where did you get the 'known good hybrid battery'?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd agree the car's saying block 9's bad, but it looks like something else is also going on. A bad HV battery block doesn't disable the dome lights or power locks.

My guess on the "something else" would be an overlooked fuse or fuse link somewhere, casualty of the reverse jump start. It sounds like the 12 volt bus is partitioned: some bits are able to get 12 volts from the aux battery, while other bits are only supplied when the converter is in operation. If I remember my old Gen 1 wiring diagram well enough, I seem to recall there were one or two fuses in there that could have that effect. Gen 2, I don't know as well.

-Chap

fotomoto and ITBland like this.
  10. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Body ECU gets power from ACC fuse, ECU-IG, fuse and the Dome fuse. If it is out, I wonder if it is out, it interferes with the communication lines?

11. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Troubleshoot the dome light and see where that takes you, there could be something in common, I think that is what you are saying. KISS

Do you have access to wiring diagrams?

13. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry for the delay in getting back here. Lost my brother on Sunday
    Yes car starts with the install 12 volt battery. HV battery Blower fan does come on immediately when starting or putting car in accessories. Wondering if there's a another fusible link somewhere I might try, and where to look for that and the fuse numbers. Attached picture of fusible link that was blown and picture of error when trying to click on Asterix. Also when trying to do health check when car is not running.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sorry to hear of your loss of your brother. Unfortunately my news isn't better: you have a failed HV battery. The battery fan running on max is yet another sign of this (besides all the codes).

15. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Attached Files:

16. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

17. JIM777

JIM777 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks to all just a follow-up integrated fusible link being blown but dome light fuse was blown as well because of reverse polarity JumpStart. Apparently somehow with the blown fuse text stream didn't communicate well. Also had to replace One battery in Bank 9 HV. Thanks have a great day.

Raytheeagle and ITBland like this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice gumshoe work. (y)

-Chap

19. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There a fuse above the 12v battery too in that black box that hooks to the + of the battery no clue what it goes to easy to check

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.