1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle Start Driving Modes

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PEVnoICE, Jun 27, 2018.

1. PEVnoICE

PEVnoICE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you please tell me what mode the PiP starts in? ie when you leave it in normal mode and turn it off does it start in normal again? Same with Power and Eco mode? How does EV/HV mode relate to that? If the battery is fully charged and the vehicle is left in HV mode, when you start it again, will it stay in HV or switch to EV mode again?

Thank you for any help you can give me! I have been looking at articles about it and can't find what I am looking for. I figure I would ask the experts! :)

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The PiP always starts in EV mode, if it possibly can.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. To add to what @Pluggo said:

In addition to starting in EV mode if there is EV range available in the battery, it will start in whatever throttle mapping mode it was in when last driven -- except PWR mode. In other words, if you were in PWR mode when you shut it off, it will cancel PWR mode, if in Normal, it starts in Normal, etc.

Here's the text from the manual, which could definitely be made more clear. When it says, "POWER switch" that's the big button to start and stop the car. Really confusing if you're not careful.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 4.23.59 PM.png
    So, Normal or Eco modes stay, but Power mode gets canceled when you shut down the car. I think it then reverts to Normal, but not positive of that since I almost never use Power mode.

But in any case, if there is any EV range showing, it starts in EV mode.

One other factor, and it annoys me a little. When the EV range is used up, you cannot put it into EV mode at all. So, while Toyota says it drives like a regular hybrid when the EV range is gone, that's not exactly true. You'll need to charge the battery at least enough to get a tenth of a mile of range to put it in EV. So, in a regular hatchback, you can start it up and, if you're quick, put it in EV to move it out of the garage or something like that without starting the gas engine (ICE). PiP won't do that if the EV range is used up.

But, even if the EV range is used up, it will drive in EV with proper use of the throttle at up to about 42 mph. But pushing the EV/HV button only makes it beep at you.

I hope that's understandable.
    [edited for LOTS of typos :eek:]

#3 jerrymildred, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    QuantumFireball, bisco and Pluggo like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't confuse ev/hv modes with power/normal/eco modes. they are 2 completely different things.
    ev mode prevents the ice from starting, providing all electric driving. (in most cases) as long as you have wall charge.
    hv mode is like a regular prius, using the ice and battery in tandem, and preserving most of the ev wall charge if there is any.

power mode remaps the gas pedal, proving more acceleration earlier in the pedal travel. normal maps it in the middle of the travel, and eco towards the end. eco also surpasses havoc to increase efficiency.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I assume you mean "surpresses HVAC" :)
    From my experience, in Eco mode it will stick to lower fan speeds when it's hot outside. It may change the AC compressor duty cycle too, but I'm not sure.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Either that or it reduces compressor speed. I'm not sure either. But in any case, it cools noticeably more slowly.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i kinda like surpasses havoc though. :cool: and thanks to whoever decided that editing should only be allowed for a short time.;)

jerrymildred and QuantumFireball like this.
  8. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Agreed, no do overs/changing your mind....

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or fixing THEIR spellcheck.

10. PEVnoICE

PEVnoICE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    awesome, this makes much more sense now. Thank you everyone for all the help! :)

bisco likes this.