1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle warm-up behavior - ScanGauge observations

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by mdgates, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is THAT why we got a beep on the inside of the car?! I won't say it makes sense, but at least I feel better about Toyota engineers now. I like the feel of the reverse.

For anyone who might not know, the beep can be turned off.

2. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Corwyn,

In engineering, everything's a tradeoff, as you point out. Toyota have given up some fuel economy to make a car that looks and feels conventional, that doesn't require the driver think about engine temperature or how long his trip will be, that provides heat to the cabin quickly, and that is designed to pass the EPA emissions test (in some instances at the expense of real world emissions). Those are the things I'm willing to give up in exchange for lower fuel consumption.

On a fuel economy forum I used to frequent, there was a spirit of DIY. The community had developed loads of fuel-saving innovations, and it was accepted that people can make improvements to their own vehicles, homes, computers, backyards, communities, whatever. I miss that.

Regards,
    Matt

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota has done SUCH a good job with the Prius, that very few inexpensive parts to improve the fuel economy truly exist.

The cheap improvements are all in your (and my) driving style. Real improvements in the car usually involve larger batteries.

Sadly, the 'cheap improvements' we do see are snake oil. E0 gas, K&N filters, Royal Purple oil, whatever odd alcohol mister they are promoting, etc.

You will see lively discussion of tires here, as they are a wear part, and buying the right set improves mileage for 30,000 to 60,000 miles.

And there are energy neutral 'mods' just to make sure your car is not legal, so you can chat with the local police. Most tint, headlight, license plate, or marker light threads will be conversation starters with a LEO.