1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ver.A Front Spoiler

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Jun 23, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my Ver.A Front Spoiler from Sigma today and the instructions are in Japanese. The pictures are very detailed and I think I could do the job from just the pictures but I would like to have the Instructions translated to English if possible. I will need the instructions translated by July 3rd because thats when i'm going to be doing the installation. I cant really offer any money for your time but I would give you full credit for the translation. If you live in the USA I could send you a Hybrid Synergy Drive keychain for free if you like. Or maybe we can work something out as payment? Maybe even a little money if it comes to that. I will need everything in the instructions translated except for of course the numbers. I can read those. Well some of them. I cant count past 5. :( :lol:

Here is a link to the Japanese instructions.
    http://stuff.jaygroh.com/prius/frontspoilerjap.pdf

2. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As usual when I ask for help I always find a way to do it or fix it myself. :rolleyes:

I think I found a way to translate it myself using Kanji OCR and Babel Fish.

I might still need some help translating so if you can help me please let me know.

If I get the document fully translated I will post the results for others to use.

3. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

I'm only on my 2nd year of Japanese. Not nearly enough to help you out.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 23 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]276059[/snapback]</div>
    Could you tell me where at the Sigma site the spoiler is, all I could find was the flex spoiler and it doesn't look like the one in your pdf instructions. I think I might want to buy one also.

Sorry no Japanese, I can't even remember how to order a beer.

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jun 23 2006, 11:39 PM) [snapback]276158[/snapback]</div>
    Its actually the very first product listed on the site. Don't know how you could miss it. Row one column one not counting the column on the very left. Sigma

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 23 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]276177[/snapback]</div>
    OK thanks I got it. I was at the wrong Sigma site.

7. berylrb

berylrb Member

the force,

I did the same thing for a translation into spanish and into chinese using a combination of babel fish and something else (I thought it was just babel fish but when I went back to the website just now I didn't recognize it at all, hmmm). I had it checked by my sons spanish teacher and she made about 10 changes in a 200 work document, but most seemed to be endings, and one turn around of a phrase using the same words.

The chinese was checked by a mandarin teacher that uses our church and she said, "Looks good to me!" LOL

b

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK so I tried to translate it my self and here is the result.

http://stuff.jaygroh.com/prius/frontspoilereng.pdf

Most of it translated. The stuff that did not translate was either not translatable or obvious of what it said. I would say %85 of the document does not make sense. 5% is funny :lol: ( but most translations are ) 5% is readable and 5% did not translate. I would still like to have this translated in to something thats a little more readable. I also did this as a rush job and did not make many corrections.

9. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, when I translated it just like theforce I got the same results.....lol

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 25 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]276598[/snapback]</div> Here's a little I can help you with, and I've asked the other. Some of it is just learning the Japanese phonetic alphabet which is about 26 letters in 2 forms, so not that much to learn to sound out words. Probably easier to translate Chinese because Japanese uses too many phonetically spelt borrow words. I spaced the katakana/romanji words so you can see how it translates into English. Set your browser (Firefox) to unicode if the below is garbled:

Code:
    08154-47029 (フィッティング キート) = Fitting Kit

Advice: Speedy(?) ni ...

2. (フロント フォグ ランプ) = front fog lamp

3. (タッピング スクリュー) = tapping screw(s) ... bolt(?)

(1) (フロント  バンバー  カバー) = Front Bumper Cover...
        (マスキング テープ) = masking tape
      (5) (fu ro n to  fo gu  ra n pu) Front fog lamp
      (6) (エンジン アンダーカバー) = engine undercover ... front bumper cover

(1) Front bumper cover
          (1) (front van parka) = front bumper cover (fu ro n to ba n ba a ka ba a)
          (3) (hurontobanpapakaba) = front bumper cover

(3)
          (3) (アドバイス) = Advise
              (エンジンカバー) engine cover (hood?)
          (5) (enjinandakaba) = engine undercover (e n ji n  a n da a ka ba a)
          (7)
             Advise:
             Protect mold front bumper cover        

more later ...

11. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks NuShrike that helps. I've been reading through everything the best I could and I understand pretty much everything except page 3. How do I know where to drill the holes? Do I use the marking off pen to do that? If so where and how do I use the pen? Does the pen act as a depth gauge and if so how do I make one? Why do I need to use 3 different drill bits? I'm assuming that it needs 3 bits numbers 3,7, and 9?

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I've been studying the pictures and text and i'm just guessing here but I think the other side of the bumper cover will have markings on where to drill the holes. I'm guessing that because there are no indications in the manual on measurements of the marking pen or measurements of the hole locations. If this is true it will make things a lot easier. Another thing i'm not to sure on is I think the manual says to use 3 different drill bits. If I do use 3 different drill bits why do I need 3 when all 8 holes are the same size? And if I need 3 bits what sizes are they? I'm guessing 3, 7, and 9 are metric sizes? Do I use one size as a pilot hole and the other as the final hole? Can anyone confirm any of this?

13. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Some really funny stuff in the babel fish translation, gotta say. Go watch Superman Returns in IMAX 3D. Anyways, as by your deadline:

page1
    ---------------------------------
    Genuine Toyota Front Spoiler (GTFS) Installation Guide
    Thank you for purchasing the GTFS.
    This manual includes step by step instruction.
    Please read before installing to ensure proper result.
    Part number 08154-47020
    Included parts
    1 Front Spoiler-RH, one
    2 Front Spoiler-LH, one
    3 Bolt Part number 91653-40612, eight
    4 Instruction, one
    Accessories
    Part # Part Name Composed of
    08154-47025, Main set (RH), Main body, 3, 4, front protect molding (black/grey)
    08145-47026, Main set (LH), Main body, 3, 4, front protect molding (black/grey)
    08154-47024, Front Protect Molding, 4, front Protect Mole (Back/grey)
    08154-47029, Fitting Kit, 3, 4

Necessary Tools
    General Tool, Air Drill (3, 7, 9), marking pin, Masking Tape, Adhesive Tape, Wiping Cloth, Plastic Sheet

page2
    ---------------------------------------
    Warning
    1 The following indicators will be listed throughout the installation guide.
    Warning -> indicates warning. Possible injury or car damage if not followed.
    Advice -> Tips for faster work.
    2 If your vehicle has fog lamps installed, begin work after detaching the negative cable.
    3 Do not remove parts from your vehicle other than those indicated in the manual. Also when removing small
    parts such as screws or bolts, keep them separated to avoid confusion/loss.
    4 To prevent scratches during work, work on a prepared surface such as plastic sheets.
    5 If using jacks, follow its instruction to ensure safety. Always use supports such as wheel blocks.

When using Garage Jacks:
    The Front Spoiler will leave little clearance room from the ground.
    Use the height of the Garage Jacks taking into account of clearing the Front Spoiler and the Jack.

page 3
    ----------------------------
    1 Removing car parts
    (1) removing the front bumper cover
    1 To prevent scratches, cover the shaded area with masking tape.
    2 Remove (3) clips and (2) screws from the upper part of the front bumper cover.
    3 Remove (11) screws from the lower part and the sides of the front bumper cover.
    4 Remove (tacks) from (12) places
    5 For cars with fog lamps, remove the fog lamp connector.
    6 Remove (9) clip nuts from the engine undercover and the fender liner and attach to the front bumper cover
    as illustrated.
    Advice Make sure you don't lose the detached parts for later use.

2 Attaching parts
    (1) Preparing Front bumper
    1 Using the marking pin, drill holes through the center of the (8) guide bumps located on the back side of the
    bumper
    Advice Make sure not to drill through the (2) positions located in the illustration
    2 Wrap adhesive tape around the drill (3, 7, 9) to serve as stoppers, as illustrated.
    3 Using the drill (3), drill a marking hole from behind the bumper at position A in (8) places as illustrated.
    4 Using the drill (7), drill a hole through (1) position as illustrated.
    5 Using the drill (9), drill holes through the rest of the (7) marking holes.

page 4
    --------------------------------------------
    (2) Attaching the Front Spoiler
    1 on the Front Spoiler RH, screw in (4) Bolts (#3). Do not tighten.
    2 On the Front Spoiler LH, screw in (4) Bolts (#3). Do not tighten.
    3 Making sure that the Front Spoiler RH, LH, bumper, and the flange part all match perfectly, tighten the (8) (#3)
    bolts in the order A through H as indicated.

(3) Installing the Front Bumper
    1 Attach masking tape on the shadow area to prevent scratches.

page 5
    2 Attach the Fog Lamp connector
    3 Attach the Bumper
    Advice Insert the Bumper in the Hood as illustrated.
    4 On the upper part of the Bumper, attach (3) clips and (2) screws
    5 Insert the Engine Undercover or the Fender Liner to the Clip Nuts attached to the lower part of the bumper
    6 Take off the masking tape
    7 Screw in (11) screws to the lower part and the sides of the bumper
    Advice If there is a gap between the bumper and the molding, loosen the bolt at that position, lower the Spoiler, fix
    the gap, and then tighten the bolt again.
    Warning Make sure that the spoiler is firmly attached to the vehicle.

Page 6
    Post Installation Test
    If you have Fog Lamps, check the Power Window, Back Door Lock, and Parking Assist after connecting the
    negative cable to the battery.
    (1) Checking Power Windows
    1 Turn the Ignition Key to ON.
    2 Put the windows up and down using each switch and the main (Auto Up) switch.
    3 Use one of the following to finish the test
    -- Check that each window switch indicator is steadily lit, not blinking.
    -- Check that you can use the main switch to operate all windows.

(2) Checking the Back Door Lock
    1 Close the Back Door.
    2 Use the main Auto switch to lock/unlock the doors.
    3 Make sure you can open the doors manually

(3)Checking the Parking Assist.
    1 Turn the key to ON
    2 Shift gear to R (Screen should change to Parking Assist)
    3 Turn the wheel all the way to both left and right
    4 Make sure that the screen does not show "System Initiation", and shows the Route Guide

page7
    Supplemental Parts
    Parts
    1 Front Protect Molding
    2 Bolt (4)

The Front Spoiler Support is unpainted. Attach the molding after painting.

1 Masking
    (1) Mask the part where the molding attach to the Front Spoiler as illustrated
    (2) After the Primer Paint, follow the a -- a surface and proceed with the main paint.

2 Attaching the Molding
    (1) Mask the Painting area of the spoiler as illustrated.
    (2) Paint the Primer using Sumitomo KM Primer K-520 evenly and let dry.
    Advice If the Primer touches the painting area, the paint will be damaged

page 8
    (3) Prepare the Molding of the same color of the molding that was installed prior to fixing.
    (4) As illustrated, attach the molding on the edge of the Spoiler from the middle part
    (5) As illustrated, cut off the extra molding
    (6) Apply pressure of more than 49N (5kg)

14. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG! THANKS! Things make a lot more since now! I'm going to redo the whole PDF, post it here and give you your credit. Do I owe you anything besides the credit and praise?

I woke up with a sore throat saturday and today I'm still a little sick but i'm still going to try to get that spoiler on today.

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just finished installing it and it took me about 2 hours. It could have been shorter if I had some help. I will post pictures after I wash and put 3 more layers of Zaino on my car. :D

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jul 3 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]280489[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, hope you feel better. And, looks like you put it on with no problems.. :)

Anyways, just credit the translation to K.K., and that's good enough. :)

One of these days, I'll probably try this spoiler out too..

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 3 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]280598[/snapback]</div>
    The Kenstyle areo front bumper/spoiler is way cool I will have to wait till the next car though :(

18. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm not going to be able to Get pictures today. My parents went to go buy a 2007 Yaris at Fannin Toyota in Ashland KY and I went with them. Its white with the sports package and even has the front spoiler. Now why cant we get that for our Prius? Why do we have to import our stuff and the little Yaris gets all the goodies. :angry: Anyway its a nice car. On a side note there are 2 Prius just sitting there on the lot waiting to be taken home by someone. One black and one red. I don't know what packages they were. If you don't have your prius yet you better hurry on down to Fannin Toyota. :) I just got back home and i'm going to try to wash and put at least one coat of Zaino on. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. I post some pictures of the Yaris too. :D Oh and I also got my recall notice today. Going to schedule the appointment and get my 5000 mile service.

19. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry but my sickness really hit me yesterday plus it started to rain. I'm going to try to get pictures thursday or friday depending on how i'm feeling and if weather permits. So far this has been one sucky vacation. :angry: This Installation was easy but I could have used some help reinstalling the bumper cover. There are markings on the back of the bumper cover that show you where to drill so that helped a lot. Everything else was just as the instruction pictures described. I will rework the instructions and post them here as soon as I get to it. I'm posting the few pictures I have. More will come eventually.

The bumperless Prius
    [​IMG]

The back of the Bumper cover
    [​IMG]

20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I finally got around taking some pictures. I'm still kind of sick but it was a nice day out and I only felt like putting 1 coat of Zaino on. Please ignore the bubbles on the spoiler if you can see them. I just put a clear bra on it and it takes about a month for them to disappear.

I think the new spoiler looks great and make the car look more sporty.

A nice close up.
    [​IMG]

Nice pic of the whole car.
    [​IMG]

Peek-A-Boo, I see you! :eek:
    [​IMG]