1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Verizon customers: Phonebook transfer solution

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tag, Nov 23, 2005.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

The Nokia 6256i is a Verizon Bluetooth phone that has the requisite profile to transfer its phonebook to the Prius phonebook. They're available, limited stock though, in certain Best Buy and Radio Shack stores (but not online through Verizon or in VZW stores......yet). Someone over on HoFo was able to track down a Prius owner who had successfully transferred the phonebook to his car with his 6256i (one contact at a time).

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6256i

The Nokia 6256i phone is designed to meet Bluetooth Specification 2.0, Handsfree, Object Push, Generic Access, File Transfer, Headset and Serial Port profiles, as well as Bluetooth headset, laptop and car kit profiles.

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

2.0? Wow. But what's the point?

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, you are correct, of course; it's not really a viable solution for those with high-end handsets like the Treo 650. But then the 6256i can't be considered a replacement for any PDA phone nor was it designed to be. It is definitely designed to compete with handsets like the Moto V710/E815, LG VX8100, and Samsung a950/a970, none of which have PB transfer capability at the present time.

Regardless, the Nokia most certainly IS a solution for:

1) Verizon customers with crippled BT phones who were waiting for their contract to expire so they could jump to another carrier because Verizon did not, until now, offer a handset capable of PB transfer.

2) Prius owners who are considering switching to Verizon due to coverage issues.

3) Verizon customers who are otherwise eligible for promotional pricing (the phone would cost 50 bucks after the current $50 rebate).

I agree that it would be ideal if we could get existing phones to work. I think the odds are against that happening, though. Maybe someone will be able to hack the E815 but that's about it and even that appears to be only a remote possibility at this point. Further, some people would not consider flashing or otherwise hacking their phones no matter what.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

No, the point of having a BT 2.0 on a phone. Not the phone itself.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ahha - It does not have BT 2.0. It has 1.1

6. tag

tag Senior Member

Yes, I believe you are correct; 1.1. Basically the same as the 6255i which, mysteriously, VZW now refuses to activate.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

They're the same phone. The model number varies by the carrier. All these carriers are using it:

* Alltel
    * Cellular One / Western Wireless
    * MetroPCS
    * U.S. Cellular
    * Verizon Wireless

8. tomn

tomn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Verizon (inside a circuit city in Holyoke Massachusetts) is now selling the Nokia 6256i for $30 with a new contract. This particular offer ends today. I bought the phone 2 days ago and was able to upload my contacts to the car (one at a time)....thanks for the advice I found here!

9. tag

tag Senior Member

Good deal, tomn! Someone at HoFo posted a message over a week ago stating the phone would be available in CC stores on 12/29. Looks like that poster was correct. :D

10. Arklier

Arklier New Member

Since I work for Verizon, I'd like to point out that Verizon only supports headsets no matter what Bluetooth phone you have. PDA or regular phone, it doesn't matter. The crippling of Bluetooth on the phones is aimed towards preventing them from being used as Bluetooth modems for a computer or non-cellular PDA. Verizon would rather you pay for an aircard on their broadband/National Access network.

11. sickle10

sickle10 Junior Member

I am considering a swithch to Verizon due to coverage issues. What bluetooth issues are there with Verizon, other than the phone book issue?

12. tag

tag Senior Member

With the Prius, there really aren't any other issues. Basically, VZW removes the Object Push Profile which preserves their revenue stream from Get-It-Now. That means no PB transfer to the Prius since there's no way to push data from the phone. It also means that you won't be able to push data from the phone to any other BT device (although you can initiate transfers from other BT-enabled devices to those phones that have OBEX, such as a hacked E815 or V3c).

13. tomn

tomn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not complaining but why do you think Verizon didn't cripple the Nokia 6256i?

14. tag

tag Senior Member

I have asked myself that question.......about a million times. I still can't come up with any kind of rationale for it. I initially thought the reason might be that the phone was only going to be available indirect (e.g. Radio Shack, Best Buy, et al) and, perhaps, VZW wanted those resellers to have something different to offer (that was not available in corporate stores......to boost sales?). But that idea went out the window after the kiosks in CC started selling the phone. The only other thing I could think of was that Nokia was unable (or unwilling) to remove the profile after VZW committed to offer the phone.

Hopefully, Arklier will read this and shed some light on this issue (he stated in another thread that he works for Verizon). I'd love to know the actual reason this phone was not crippled.

15. tubular

tubular New Member

I noticed on that Nokia 6256i web link that ordering the phone is free thru Nokia until Jan. 10 with a 2-yr Verizon contract and after mail-in rebates.

My question is does this phone have OBEX so that I can download my address book from my Mac onto the phone, and then upload that into my Prius. The specs on the web page says it has object push and will work with a PC, but before I buy, I want to make sure. I was very close to renewing with Cingular (ugh!) since their Sony Ericsson phones will upload and download an address book in its entirety. But service with Cingular sucks in my area (Los Angeles), so this new phone for Verizon makes me think twice.

Finally, with only 8mb of memory, does anyone know how many contacts the 6256i address book will hold?

Thanks!

16. tag

tag Senior Member

The following is from the Nokia web site:

The contacts list can hold up to 500 contacts with multiple numbers and text notes for each contact. The amount of numbers and text entries that you can save may vary, depending on length and the total number of entries in the contacts list.

Re this particular phone and Macs, take a look at the following thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...78&page=7&pp=15

17. tubular

tubular New Member

Thanks a lot, tag!

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

That and they want to make sure you only get your ringtones and other downloads from them, and not from swapping with other bluetooth users. Sprint's just as guilty.

19. tubular

tubular New Member

20. Dripps

Dripps New Member

It is VERIZON who cripples the bluetooth capabilities of the cell phone. They say it is also limited with the Razr but I have found this is not the case and I'm able to sync with my mac and Lexus---although it has to be one by one on car. I'm not sure if they will "fix" this on Razr and cripple the OBEX, but for now, it works. I don't have the prius yet but I'm sure it's the same. Also my Treo 650 with Verizon can connect and transfer the address book.