1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very confused regarding headlight bulb . .....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by crazyirv, Aug 27, 2018.

1. crazyirv

crazyirv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So after reading lots of posts here I dutifully ordered a Phillips D4R bulb. I watched Youtube videos and finally took the plunge. Turns out the bulb in my 2007 drivers side is a HB2 9003 bulb which is cheap. Also was real easy to get out. Could be a replacement housing (looked newer than the other one when I bought it). But......Now I'm seeing other posts here where people have used this bulb on 07s,08,s etc. Am I in the "upside down" here? Like,an alternative universe.? Which friggin bulb SHOULD it be????? Obviously I'm buying an HB2 now but......

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Gen 2 had two different styles of headlights. HID (high intensity discharge) and halogen.

D4R is for HID headlights. If you have fog lights as original equipment then you should have HID headlights.

No fog lights = normal halogen headlights

ITBland likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think I can help.

The Gen2 (2004 to 2009) has one bulb in the lower trims and another in the higher trims.

The D4R HID bulb is used on higher trim levels, while the Halogen 9003 is on lower trim Gen2s.

The wiring harness is very different, and they do not interchange.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00480J4J6 HID

www.amazon.com/dp/B01CQAU2I6 Halogen

#3 JimboPalmer, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Aidan likes this.
  4. crazyirv

crazyirv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Now I have to try to return the D4 bulb....had a nightmare time with the Amazon supplier. Just to add to my confusion AutoZone database said Sylvania Silverstar 9003 is compatible (no HB2 designation) and O'Reilly said it's not compatible. Gee, don't know why anyone could be confused! Anyway I just finished installing it by hand no tools no bumper removal yes it was very difficult...but doable! Thanks for the info for now my Prius is no longer myopic.

#4 crazyirv, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2018
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Owner’s manual lists the bulbs required for your car, BTW.

As you learned the hard way, auto parts store’s part finder sometimes can be wrong.

For bulbs, I always reference the bulb maker (ie (Philips); it has always been correct for me.
    Philips Automotive Bulb Look-up | Find bulbs for your vehicle

scona and ITBland like this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Silverstar: Very bright and like most stars does not live long. Excessive heat on the socket too.

7. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CAREFUL! Early Gen 2 (2004-05) HID bulbs were D2R , not interchangeable with D4R!
    (Former 04 owner)