1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very dissapointing... unforseen Prius ownership cost!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alexilic, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Aug 21 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]499677[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for that, and for the clear example of missing the point. My complaint is that since some users seem unable to control themselves, the aggression here is an example of poor moderation. To make the point, it's hard not to include references to examples. However, I named no-one but the moderator as responsible (in my view) but if that's too much 'discussion', so be it.

2. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 21 2007, 08:55 AM) [snapback]499682[/snapback]</div>
    Way off base eh? Fair enough, you're the moderator. I didn't come here for an argument, but to find out about the car I was interested in buying, and then read up about issues and find out those subtle facts that are hard to find in the manual, or which are easily missed, or where Toyota's data may not be as useful as real user/driver experiences. I don't regard much of what I see here as acceptable, though as ever it's the small element of users that tend to set the tone, not the majority. Moderation is, by it's nature, ideally light, but sometimes necessary in order to help keep things on track.

If you think this is on track, then I'm in no position to argue am I - since all that's going to happen is another pile-on if I wish to make any other point on the matter!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 21 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]499703[/snapback]</div>
    No intent to pile on, but you came here, to this post, made some fairly insulting comments against me, the forum and it's members, but if we defend ourselves are we piling on?
    While you may come here "to find out about the car I was interested in buying, and then read up about issues and find out those subtle facts that are hard to find in the manual, or which are easily missed, or where Toyota's data may not be as useful as real user/driver experiences." that isn't the exclusive reason that everyone else comes here. Interests are broad as are the goals of the members. Some issues are contentious or have room for interpretation. We allow members, to a point, to explore those issues. We can't make this forum perfect for everyone of our 25k members. We try to find a balance that allows people to get from it what they wish. While we may miss the mark at times I believe that,in the balance, we do a pretty fair job most of the time. YMMV.

4. sje333

sje333 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chitown guzzler @ Aug 20 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]499280[/snapback]</div>
    The best way to reduce Chavez's oil income is to use less gasoline. Reduced demand will cause a drop in prices. OPEC is losing their cartel pricing power because they have no excess capacity. Reduced prices mean that all suppliers have reduced income.

If an organized Citgo boycott were to succeed in forcing Citgo's prices down by 2 cents per gallon, non-boycotters would fill that void by going for the cheaper gasoline.

5. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 21 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]499705[/snapback]</div>
    Don't you think it interesting that you took my comment about poor moderating here as 'insulting comments against me' (and rightly react unhappily to that perception) but as and when others find posts aimed at them similarly insulting, there's no reaction. You see what I've posted here as an attack, on you and the forum members, when it's very clear even from your own post to which I initially replied, there are some issues here that you yourself have identified. You make the point that moderating is a gentle art (as a moderator elsewhere I agree entirely) but a nudge here or there when a member is being harshly treated is part of the job, unless that is, the forum is to descend into behavior determined by lowest common denominator. My post to you was not intended to be insulting, but to describe what I see as a problem. I see that's not much of a welcome notion, but in a real sense it's easier to exert a little control at the outset (and it is the outset of the problem as you said yourself) than try and recover it later when it risks getting out of hand.

Yes, it's my view and I may be outnumbered. I didn't think an opinion was any less valid because it comes from 1 than from 100.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 21 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]499717[/snapback]</div>
    Whatever...you described the forum as one of the worst you've been to as regards the management of the forum, called us lax and claimed I was an instigator of the 'piling on' against one of the member's posts. But if you feel you were simply nudging and pointing out what you percieve as deficiencies I'll accept your word on it.
    Your opinions are noted but I don't anticipate any change in the management strategies of the forum.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 20 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]499419[/snapback]</div>
    Now jim, don't assume all snarksters have sticks

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For f**k sake lighten up will you!!!!
    It was a f**king joke after all.
    Look, a troll ----------------------->
    Hahahah

9. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 21 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]499696[/snapback]</div>
    I hadn't missed the point, but perhaps you have. You may want to try reading your post and my response to it again.

Furthermore, I never said anything about "too much 'discussion'".

To restate my point,

You seem to indicate that the moderators should put a stop to aggressive behavior,
    and yet in the same post you accuse this of being "amongst the worst I've seen on a car-related forum".
    This seems a bit aggressive to me.

You seem to indicate that the moderators should put a stop to name calling,
    and yet in the same post you refer to people as "self-serving", "fools", and lacking in "wisdom".
    This seems like name calling to me.

You seem to indicate that the moderators should put a stop to insults,
    and yet in the same post you accuse people of lax moderation, failing to read posts they respond to, and kicking off inflammatory nonsense.
    These seem like insults to me.

You seem to indicate that the moderators should put a stop to piling on,
    and yet in the same post you make the comment "some responders making real fools of themselves" making this the 16th post belittling people for not recognizing the joke.
    This seems like piling on to me.

I realize you don't recognize you are doing it, neither do most of the people you are complaining about.

However, it almost seems like you are accusing the moderators of performing their duties insufficiently, because they aren't banning people like you?

I certainly value the input you have made in other posts in this forum, and see no need to prevent you from participating just because you lose your temper once in a while. Everybody gets frustrated occasionally, nothing wrong with that. If I don't like what someone has to say in a particular post, I simply ignore it. If I don't like what someone says on a regular basis I can change settings to prevent their posts from being displayed to me.

It really isn't worth getting worked up over.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 20 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]499246[/snapback]</div>
    the OP's post definitely gave me a chuckle... but some of the responses here are scaring me. have we become so blinded by the green dream that we no longer have a sense of humor??

*edit*

oops.... should have stayed out of this one... i admit to reading the OP and the first couple of responses, then this page after my post. i think i will definitely pass on everything else in between

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 21 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]499766[/snapback]</div>
    As the old adage goes, "Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm."

I think the OP took more than a few of us off guard with his sarcasm. There have been quite a few trolls on here lately bashing the Prius and the tone of the post led a few of us to jump to conclusions. I admit that I was one of them and that I missed the humor altogether.

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The easy cure to the problem of the OP being mis-read would be to post a picture of the car WITH the joke. I think every car owner knows what a challenge it is to keep a black car looking nice and clean :D

Speaking of Prius jokes, I've been getting a lot of this question from coworkers, friends, people in parking lots lately:

"Hey, that's one o' them Hy-borgs... whatchama callit? Priamus, h'ain't it? How's she workin' out fer ya?"

To which my favorite response right now is:

"Terrible! I mean, I bought this car thinking I'd drive less, save on gas, pollute less, but it's such a pleasure to drive and I save so much gas that I just have to keep on driving it!"

I say the first part with a straight face, but they get the joke pretty quickly.

13. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

good gawd people.... he was JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    lol, I love it how someone just has to scream "TROLL!!!" every chance they get.
    It makes me chuckle :p

15. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    • sarchasm (n.) the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

16. sb.rocks

sb.rocks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 20 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]499277[/snapback]</div>
    Of course YOU got it! Apparently you are owned by a black cat. Black cat's rule.

17. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP's "joke" would have been funnier if he'd have made more posts before trying to be humorous with this one.

18. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 21 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]499905[/snapback]</div>
    Gotta start somewhere... :D

Wow, I was hoping for a reaction, but wasn't expecting all the negativness... :eek:

I thank all of you who have come in with positive responses. I was just trying to add a little humor to a dreary monday afternoon. I love Prius owners in general, and still get/give waves on a regular basis. I thought it would of been VERY obvious that I was joking about the "extra" costs of car washes... LOL Of course it wouldn't compenstate for the savings that I get from going almost 40 mpg more per gallon!!! And on top of it, I'm even more concerned about the enviornmental impact of vehicles like trucks. I have 2 small children, and would love for them to have a cleaner earth then what we have now. I hope we can all get along now... B)

Alex

19. Ehash

Ehash New Member

This is so ridiculous...
    ...this thread is 3 pages long now. *rolls eyes and feels sorry for OP*

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chitown guzzler @ Aug 20 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]499241[/snapback]</div>
    Yeppers: ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chitown guzzler @ Aug 21 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]499927[/snapback]</div>
    Im a little late, I can only check out PC when Im near a working computer..... :(