1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very hot (utah) and red triangle appears when braking on hill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hello_machine, Jul 8, 2014.

1. hello_machine

hello_machine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am just trying to find out if this means I need to have something checked like coolant hardware/fluid

It is over 100 F these past several days and at 35 minutes just h opping off the freeway, and then again today, coming down a big hill at another part of the freeway, I noted that as I quickly had to brake the system made the computer noise (same as when I switch from the power view to the trip view), red triangle comes on, no other indicators. The first time it happened I was back on the throttle almost right away and red triangle went back off. Everything fine

Same today but it was on until I was back on the throttle at the bottom of the hill

2. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Check your oil level. I think you'll find it's very low.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is "power view to trip view'?

4. hello_machine

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow you're right, I check it a few weeks ago and looked good, but before I left this morning there seemed to be extremely low oil reading

5. hello_machine

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The beep when I press the rectangle in lower left corner switching between real time engine/battery interaction on the screen and the avg mpg graph at 5 minute intervals

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok the energy/consumption meters.

Be aware once a Prius is run low on engine oil it usually accelerates the oil loss the car is already suffering from so it behooves you to check the oil frequently. Another words the car will really start to eat oil now. By the time the oil pressure light illuminates its already scuffing the piston rings.

Many posts here of people who have blown there motors not checking there oil. Usually starts with a knocking sound which is failed main bearing on the crankshaft.

It's very odd these days people will go through the trouble of posting online about a car issue and even express suspicion about something under the hood and never open the hood and check the fluids which takes all of 30 seconds from seat to check back to seat. That lack of attention becomes very expensive. Most are from people who say the 'dealer" takes care of my car. Which in there minds alleviates any responsibility of there own to the cars maintenance issues.

Having only the dealer service a prius especially on an older prius is like a death sentence. Because they don't check the oil before they change it to see how low it is.

7. hello_machine

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great info. I'd been aware of the oil loss reports and therefore checked it once a month so far. I expected to change oil every 10k with synthetic, but wondering if I should go ahead now at ~7000 given this situation.

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm curious what your mileage is.

But as others have said, once a car has gone that low on oil especially in the heat, the damage will almost certainly have been done. It could start just burning extra oil, but you might find it starts to blow smoke fouling the plugs, O2 sensors, cat etc. Keep an eye on the exhaust when you start her up first thing in a morning to check. Misty white smoke is probably normal, but if it's blue or black you have a problem. Saying all this, if you're lucky and the car wasn't under any load, such as going down hill, you might have got away with it.

Just keep a VERY close eye on your oil level from now on and if it starts to burn it you might consider changing to a slightly thicker oil. Even that is just delaying the inevitable; a new engine or expensive repair.

edthefox5 likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I would check it once a week to see how much damage was done to the oil rings until you get a handle on the loss. One more oil pressure light illumination and it will be new motor time.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've seen this sort of issue many times in the taxi job. You can get away with not changing the oil as often; I knew some drivers never, ever changed their oil but did top it up. I'd never consider that their thinking was the time on the road not changing oil (1 hour a time?) balanced a possible new engine later on. Engines are much stronger now and surprisingly their engines did hang in there - though noisily.

But no oil is virtually guaranteed to toast your engine and quickly.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes Grumpie right again imho. Oil change is really not that important in this situation. Modern synthetic oil is so good you can go 25,000
    miles and not incur damage. Peeps over at Bitog routinely report 25,000 oci's with boutique oil like Amsoil and Redline.

But don't check the oil and let it run low is an expensive day. For a long time here people recommended you run the oil below the full oil line to improve mpg's. That's loonie tunes.

Fact is a G2 Prius eat's oil. And eats oil alot at125K + miles.

My own bought new 07 at 70,000 is starting to use a little oil and has spent its life on M1. There's alot of G2's owned by less than mechanical people who have destroyed there engine's after a life time of Dealer service. After they get the bad news at the Dealer the engine has a knock because the motor is toast they usually trade it in on a new car. Which is the best reason to have a service dept at a dealer.

So there's alot of just starting to knock used Prius hitting the auctions. You buy that car really not noticing the knock and never check the oil and 2,000 miles later it throws the rod through the side of the block.