1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

very very poor milage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by fearless, Aug 7, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm guilty of not checking my tire pressure on a regular basis so I'm sure that they're a little low. They're TripleTreds and I'm supposed to lose a little MPG because of them. I run the A/C a lot of the time but keep the temperature set at 78. My commute to the office is around 40 miles one way and I've found a route that gives me a very good mix of city (speed limits of less that 50 and usually 35 in a lot of places) and highway/freeway driving. There are hills around here, I don't have flat terrain by any stretch of the imagination. That said, currently, I'm getting 56 avg mpg. The car has just under 35,000 miles on it and has had all of the required maintenance. I use either BP or Shell regular gasoline, sometimes Mobil. I always wonder how anyone with a Prius can't get at least 50. Consumer Reports drivers got crappy mileage out of the Prii that they drove so they are evidently not adept at getting the best mileage possible. I would wonder what kind of mileage you got with other vehicles. As others have opined in this topic, your driving behavior is the biggest suspect.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fearless @ Aug 7 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]492233[/snapback]</div>
    What part of Kansas?

My mom lives in Coffeyville and I'll be taking a trip out there this fall.

Bob Wilson

3. fearless

fearless New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 8 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]492331[/snapback]</div>
    i go to school in manhattan and live north of hays. as for coffeyville, did she get flooded?

Matt

4. fearless

fearless New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fearless @ Aug 8 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]492448[/snapback]</div>
    called the mecahnic, they say nothing is wrong. any ideas from anyone?

Matt

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fearless @ Aug 8 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]492448[/snapback]</div>
    Mom lives west of the tracks, on higher ground. But she did organize the church relief effort. Of course no one mentions that in addition to the town, a whole lot of creeks and section line bridges were closed. It took a couple of days before she could get to the farm and check on the livestock. But they bailed more hay last week than they'd ever seen.

Dang, Manhattan is just a little too far to go solo. But depending upon when I go, Mom may have errands to run to KC or I might wander up to Ottawa for fly-in but that looks to be October.

How soon do you need an answer?

We can give you a lot of pointers over the net but it means interpreting suggestions and follow-up. Not to pimp another site but in addition to everyone elses' suggestions, there is this FAQ. Remember the Indian tale about seven blind men and the elephant, we all have a different take on the beast and know we're right. <grins>

Bob Wilson

6. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fearless @ Aug 8 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]492233[/snapback]</div>
    What mpg does the primary driver get?

7. fearless

fearless New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Aug 8 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]492656[/snapback]</div>
    anywhere from 35 to 47

Matt

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fearless @ Aug 8 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]492616[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I and several others have scattered a ton of information throughout this thread and that would be a decent spot to work from.

I also strongly urge both you and your primary driver to read my FE article...
    http://priuschat.com/New-owner-Want-MPG-he...rst-t15311.html

Then read it again.

The Prius isn't magic. It obeys all the usual laws of physics. If you're driving with AC on on the freeway at 85mph with heavy load your mpg will be in the low 40s. Throw in some short trips with a cold ICE and it'll drop further.

My point is that this is almost certainly an issue of driving style/technique moreso than one of a problem with the car. Do check those tire pressures and consider increasing to 42f/40r if you haven't already. Make sure the oil level is not over the 'max' fill line. Drop your speed to the speed limit, anticipate traffic and stops and begin slowing early for them. Don't pass unless absolutely necessary. Use the AC on auto at a temp that you can tolerate, but the less agressively it's used the better. Remove any unnecessary excessive weight from the car.

9. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    are you at K-State?

I used to live in Independence (closer to Coffeyville) and my grandparents still live there

sorry about your Prius-troubles. i've read a few reports of some cars getting low MPG for no reason. everything checks out, mechanics can't find anything wrong and they just don't get more than 45 mpg. kinda weird, if you ask me.