1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Veterinarians?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by geologyrox, Jul 11, 2006.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

No worries, I'm not going to ask you to diagnose my cat =) I've had an idea rolling around and since I've got a couple days that I can't get anything done, I thought I'd go ahead and see if I can't waste a little time on dreams.

I need some veterinarians (and/or vet techs) who are willing to answer some questions about how things are done/handled in an office. Someone who owns their own office would be ideal. I might ask some questions that you aren't willing to answer, and you get full rights to skip questions or ignore me completely.

I shouldn't take up much of your time, just a couple of PMs, and like I said, you have veto power on the questions.

EDIT: If you don't want to PM, you can e-mail me at [email protected]

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You know, there are bots that roam the internet looking for valid emails to add to spam lists. I'd recommend deleting your email from the public post and letting people PM you. It's as easy as sending an email.

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 11 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]284817[/snapback]</div>

I agree...you are bound to get a bunch of animal emails, but not exactly the ones you want (more like "Want to Bring the Animal out of you?" or "Watch Candy and her animals")

Hey, I work in an office with a bunch of animals, I guess dealing with them everyday makes me the Vet...would I count? :lol:

I also just "stayed in a holiday express" ;)

4. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

It just goes into the catch-all, which already gets so much spam it's disgusting. Having it sent to a certain address just lets me search a little easier. I have several domain names I use for sorting, the geologyrox.com is sort of my spam-holder =)

5. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am no vet but i have computerized plenty of medical offices. Depending on your questions I may be able to offer asisstance.

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Well, here's how it is: my old hometown is planning on bulding its first animal shelter. They actually have some good funding behind them, for the first time ever. My first boss is the mayor of that small town, and he and I have talked about this forever. He's good friends with the woman in charge of the shelter, and I'm going to dinner with them in a couple of weeks.

I've got the basic business degree, worked with (some really impressive) animal rescue groups in college, and I've got some ideas to submit. Unfortunately, I don't know any of the dollar signs involved in vet services, or any idea what would qualify as 'stepping on toes' within the community. I don't want to walk in with ideas that have no way of working.

Unfortunately, I think I need some actual vets - I may end up asking some questions down the line, tnthub, but right now I'm just trying to check feasibility.

7. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Jul 12 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]284919[/snapback]</div>
    Vets and shelters around my town seem to have a love/hate relationship. The shelters want services for free or very little, the vets want to get paid. However the vets also want the business from the adoptive owners of pets from the shelter and referrals.

It costs a lot to become a vet and many have high school loans. Malpractice insurance costs are high. Owners are very fussy and quick to whip out a lawyer. Plus finding a vet who will help a bird is a whole different thing than finding one who will work on a dog.

Probably asking questions about the community, the general makup of specialties, the computerization and prescription services, pet insurance billing, and when it comes time to actually plan the work, physically walking through the motions required for efficiency will reduce the building costs if done in advance. A lot of it is common sense. Perhaps being able to offer local vets a "referral shingle" for their consulting and advice might be a way to jump start some interest?

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Actually, a big part of what I'm thinking about is having the shelter actually have a vet on staff - As you say, they have it rough - and from what I have found, the pay isn't more than would be possible to offer. I have this rough sketch of how the city could use the grant to start a shelter that provides (all cash only) service to the low-income bracket and emergency services (probably at market prices, also cash only) and ends up with a balanced budget at the end of the year. It sounds awfully idealistic (it is awfully idealistic) but my friend is being pretty optimistic with me.

There are already local programs that have set qualifications for low-income owners to be able to book free spays and neuters, and low cost shots, with local vets at certain events or days. The county gives the vets a (basically) nominal fee for these - they participate out of good will, and because it generates new clients. I'm a little unsure of how vets would feel about losing that 'income.' I'd love ideas on how to make this a win-win situation all around. We wouldn't be in the business of being competition, and there are many other ways for them to work with the public.