1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vibration at 68mph in 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by splais, Nov 18, 2011.

1. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just purchased a 2010 Prius III with 47,000 miles on. I love the car except for one thing. it has a vibration I can feel in the steering wheel and seat at around 68-69mph. The dealer says it is normal. I did test drive another 2010 Prius and it did seem to have the same vibration. So can anyone tell me this is something I'm going to have to live with or any possible fixes? Have you heard of this before? thanks.

2. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have read about some people complaining about rattles and vibration issues in the Prius. My Prius does not have any rattles currently, though I suppose it could develop in the future.

3. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the history of your front tires and front brakes? First thing I would do is make sure the front tires are balanced properly.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No it is not normal. I agree with tv4fish, probably a tire balance problem on the front. But as long as you are going to have it done I would have all 4 balanced, and rotated if needed.

5. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I'm getting the tires balanced tomorrow. It bothers me when a toyota dealer says it's 'normal' for there to be a vibration right in the middle of the prime driving range.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might need a Hunter Road Force balancer to solve the problem.

But if these are the original tires that have never been dismounted, then they were already road force balanced at the factory.

MB860 ?

7. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I just found out the tires had been balanced at the dealership when they were checking it out. So I'm at an impass it looks like.

8. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I first joined this site, I had read all sorts of issues about rattling or vibrations with the 2010 Prius. I have occasionally heard rattling with my car...but it's always shown itself to be a seatbelt or buckles with my pet cover. I have yet to have my car develop any rattles or vibrations while going 70+ on the highway.

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But was it done using a Hunter Road Force Balancer? That makes a difference.

10. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't know I'll check

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is not nornal. The dealer that sold it to you, says this is normal and denies your claim, is full of sh-t. Go to a quality independant shop, or another Dealer, discribe the issue, ask for a mechanic ride along (if allowed), but "do not" tell them where you bought the car or your experience with them. Have them check the wheel ballance, alignment, suspension components, wheel bearings, drive axles, and anything else they may consider suspect. Remember this is a used car out of "full" warranty and a non-vested Mechanic is better under these circumstances.

12. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not exactly out of warrenty. It is a Toyota Certified used car with a comprehensive 12/12000 warrenty. Of course, if the dealer just states this is normal kind of puts and end to discussion. I may take this directly to Toyota and see what they say. But it looks like "I" have to figure this out because they sure aren't.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Or don't want to. Remember your Service Agent ultimately has the same Boss your Sales person has at this Dealership. It is hard enough fixing these problems under new car warranties. No profit. A document stating repair is needed from somewhere else gives some leverage. Be firm, but polite. Elevate your claim and document everything (names, times, dates, ect...). Good luck.

14. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    frodoz737, I just noticed you have a 2010 Prius. Do you feel any kind of vibration in your steering wheel and seat at around 65mph and above that you do not feel at slower speeds. I haven't tried to see if the vibration goes away above 75mph. Thanks

15. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 V, no vibrations at any speed, good luck with the dealer you'll need it

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Try rotating the tires front to back and see if it goes away or changes. That may tell you if is a wheel/tire or something else.

I just had a similar problem with my car and it went away when I rotated the tires. I never found out what it was for sure (wheel or tire) because I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on a new set of tires. When I rotate them I should find out if it was a wheel or a tire, I suspect a tire.

17. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is this is the same dealership that told you that it's normal for a car to vibrate @ 68mph? Call me silly, but I'd get all 4 tires balanced somewhere else and see if your issue improves.

Good luck!

-Brad

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  19. Pfcardwell

Pfcardwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i had this problem on my 2000 Toyota Van after a brake job, went back a couple of times complaining, drove me nuts, then started really looking and it turned out that the rear wheel was not on the hub correctly, you could tell because the threads on the luggs were different than the other side. Bottom line look at the wheels in the rear for any problems.

20. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree, it is a good thing to check especially on cars with "lug centric" vs "hub centric" wheels. With our cars the lug nuts are used to center up the wheel instead of a hub in the middle. Tire Rack says it is critical to torque the wheel lugs with the wheels still off the ground with lug centric wheels.
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=91&affiliate=TX4