1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vibration at 68mph in 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by splais, Nov 18, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it turns out to be the tires please let us know the exact make and model. I know some people were having trouble with the Goodyear Fuel Max tires.

2. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm taking it in Monday to both have the tires rotated and get them Road Force Balanced while I watch and not having it done at toyota. going to a tire shop.

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Our freeways are speed limited at 110 kms/h(68mph). I drive at the limit all the time. My 2010 gen III feels rock solid and smooth at that speed. :)

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good. Make sure the tire shop's technician understands how to utilize ALL of the functions on the GSP9700 machine. I would do some research on your own on the operation procedure of the machine so you can see that the road force balance was done properly. Chances are, some or all of the tires will need repositioning on the rim.

1 person likes this.
  5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    None. Like I said this is not normal.

6. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I had the tires Road Force Balanced and rotated at Big O tires. The tires were Michelin Destiny's by the way. The tire guy said the tires 'were not' balanced properly. he also said I needed to take them out on the freeway at speed for a good bit because they had flat spots on them and getting them hot may let them round out again. Anyway, the vibration is pretty much completely gone.

2 people like this.
  7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I doubt your warranty will cover this cost reinbersment, but you have an opportunity here. Go back to the Dealership and discuss this with the Service and General Managers together, politely. My guess is if they want your continued business, they will hook you up somehow.

8. splais

splais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in a quantry. Don't know where I will go for serious work. this dealership s***s. I took my 2010 Camry in because a tire was leaking slowly. They couldn't find it! Big O tire found it in about 30 seconds. it was an old plug leaking. I know a gentlemen who worked there for awhile. He stated it was routine for a couple of the service writers to pad the work sheets with unneeded work they talked customers into. It's no wonder. This dealership pays their service writers no base salary; just a paultry 6% commission. Problem is there are not a lot of independant shops that I believe are qualified to work on hybrids; at least not around here. it's a sad thing, but my feeling is that all dealerships are crooks and will screw you every time if you let your guard down even for a moment. I sure as hell will never let this dealership do anything related to tires and wheels on my car again.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A 100 mile dealer search for Yuma on Toyota.com only shows 2, Alexander and Rogers & Rogers (50 miles away). Neither is considered an award winner, even by Toyotas standards. Your best tool then is stay educated about your vehicle and try and establish a respectful relationship with your service dept. Oil changes, wheel rotate and balance, and tires can be done outside the Dealership, other things can not.

You still have great car. Take care of it and it will take care of you. ;)

10. copymark

copymark New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My first post here. I just happened to buy a new 2011 Prius II at Alexander of Yuma myself. Have 3500 miles on it so far. The gauge says I'm getting 52.8 MPG and I haven't heard a rattle or vibration yet going as fast as 72 on I-8. Feels like a luxury car to me so far and I absolutely love it.

The desert heat out here can be awfully rough on tires at times. I'm counting on the extended service warranty to keep this investment in top shape.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :welcome: Welcome to Prius ownership; here's hoping you have many happy trouble free miles.

1 person likes this.
  12. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If the vibration goes away at higher or lower speeds, it is wheel balance.
    If the vibration is noticed on the front seat. this is a rear balance issue

Buying used is ( I wonder ?) The rims or rim could be damaged from pot holes or accident. This can be seen on a tire balance machine and the tire will hop or as it rotates you will see the tire move up and down on the flat tread area.ie the tire will conform to the rim. This will happen more often with aluminum rims. If you can feel it in the front seat that point to a balance or out of round rim in the rear. They will have to be replaced. Another thing you can try is to rotate the tires and see if the problem is changed.

It just takes one bent rim to cause this. You can narrow this down by a visual on a balancing machine.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just drove home from work in my 2010. I set cruise control at 66, 67, 68 and 69 to see if I could get any shaking, but I couldn't. I'm glad I read about the procedure for torquing the lug nuts while the car's jacked up.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you know what someone, or an organization, is capable of, you can deal with them accordingly.